Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I was talking with my Grandson the other day, and I told him, "I like old knives" - he said "I like the new ones".  I shared that with my wife and she said "you gotta be old to like the old things".  Maybe she is right. I find myself more and more liking older things, sayings, buildings, guns, knives, and a large assortment of older things. Seems like things made more sense (to me anyway) in the good ole days.

So when were the good ole days?? For me (I'm 67) the good ole days were in the 60's. When it comes to knives, I like a knife that was made either before I was born (1946) or at least before I graduated from High School (1964). I graduated in Arcade, New York and was surrounded by great cutleries, and didn't even think about it at the time. How many times have I driven by the Robeson factory in Perry, NY and didn't even know it.

Anyway, I like old Knives. I like all knives, but especially the older ones. Lets use this discussion to show some-of what you may think as an older knife. Looking forward to seeing a taste of "the good ole days".

Tags: Old, Robeson, Vintage, knife, knives, older

Views: 5925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron, a great EO old knife from "The Good Ole Days" - First time I had heard of Corliss Cutlery, thanks for the education. A knife like that must be very rare and a great find.

Ken, I consider that old Corliss, despite having a very low value on a collectibility scale, to be one of my nicest knives. It features an all steel construction (read: steel liners) and both blades maintain great snap, both opening and closing. Considering its age it is rock solid. No blade play up and down or side to side. It's just a really nice little knife! 

A couple WWII era 4 line Camillus knives.  One if a USA (United States Army) Camp knife.  The other a modified No. 40 USN Jack knife. These little easy open Jacks varied over time and also by maker.  Some had a coping/sheepfoot  blade for the main blade while others had a more traditional Spear blade.  The secondary blade also varied .  Early ones had a nail file but this was later replaced with a pen blade (as this one once had).    In the case of the one pictured a previous owner (possible the original owner) changed the pen blade into a coping blade. This may have been done because the blade broke or because the guy liked to whittle.  Either way, it seems to have been cut and had the sharp edge filed to prevent accidental cutting.  What is really cool is the owner knew a thing or two about splicing lines.  Note how the eyelet was interwoven into the trailing line.   The lose thread have actually been pulled through the trailing line.This takes a certain amount of skill.

That's one fine knife, Ron!

Tobias, I like Camillus 4 Liners - thanks for posting.

Ron, I would think it would have a high collector value - go figure on that one - an old knife like that with strong snap and no wobble shows me it was handled by someone who cares. Yes, I would be proud to own that knife.

Ron Cooper said:

Ken, I consider that old Corliss, despite having a very low value on a collectibility scale, to be one of my nicest knives. It features an all steel construction (read: steel liners) and both blades maintain great snap, both opening and closing. Considering its age it is rock solid. No blade play up and down or side to side. It's just a really nice little knife! 

Very nice vintage knives.

My Camillus made  Hibbard, Spencer & Barlett  Hawkbill has been part of my Everyday Carry Emergency kit for a couple years now. As best I can tell it dates from between 1924-1940.  Hibbard was the forerunner of True-Value Hardware.  The tang stamp continued in use with well after Hibbard was sold to True Value.  The OVB (Our Very Best) was the top of th eLine Hibbard tools.  This is just a run of the mill Hibbard.

The knife is well used but it is also rock solid.  The wood handles are blemish free and very tight.  Blade is also free of play and had great snap and closed, half, and full positions. This one was made to last.  I carry it in my emergency kit because i trust it more than any of my other hawks when it comes to getting the job done.  It wasn't made to look pretty like the modern Case hawks.  This one was made to git-r-done!  I've used for everything from cutting wire tp pruning branches, cutting PVC pipe, etc. 

You can usually pick one of the up on eBay for under $15.  Well worth it.

Very nice Tobias, those Hawkbills are workhorses, I see why it is in your kit.

I love the old knives everyone. Thanks for showing them.

This one is dates to about 1860-1880s.

Smilin Knife - That is one neat knife, and in good shape for its age. Great pics.

Just what does it say on the tang, I can't make it all out.

Thanks for the comments Ken. The tang stamp is Repeat, Needham Brothers, Sheffield.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service