Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

So you got the bug? Can't stop reading about knives? Can't stop buying those knives?

What in the world got you started?

Tags: addiction, collecting, hobby, knife, start

Views: 3502

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are cool! Its a good hobby to match!

Tobias Gibson said:

I have no idea other than just thinking they were cool!

So here is a question: Legendary Knifemaker Bob Loveless became interested in knives after what event in his life?

I remember when our telephone was a big wooden box hanging on the wall.  It had a crank on the side.  If you wanted to call someone on your own party line, you cranked their "ring".  If I remember correctly our ring was a long and two shorts.  If you wanted to call anyone not on your party line, you cranked one long to get "central" and told her who you wanted to talk to.  There were no phone numbers.  We had a local phone company.  It was eventually absorbed into AT&T.  Sometime around the middle or late 50's we got a rotary dial phone.  We thought we were walking in high cotton!  But we were still on a party line with at least a half dozen phones on it.  Each household still had their "ring".

Craig Henry said:

LOL! And believe it or not......no cell phones! 

Steve"Hog"Hanner said:

You mean there was a time with no internet? LOL Craig, you sound like a much determined knife collector!

LOL! I remember party lines! That makes me feel old. HEY! I AM old! LOL!

Charles Sample said:

I remember when our telephone was a big wooden box hanging on the wall.  It had a crank on the side.  If you wanted to call someone on your own party line, you cranked their "ring".  If I remember correctly our ring was a long and two shorts.  If you wanted to call anyone not on your party line, you cranked one long to get "central" and told her who you wanted to talk to.  There were no phone numbers.  We had a local phone company.  It was eventually absorbed into AT&T.  Sometime around the middle or late 50's we got a rotary dial phone.  We thought we were walking in high cotton!  But we were still on a party line with at least a half dozen phones on it.  Each household still had their "ring".

Craig Henry said:

LOL! And believe it or not......no cell phones! 

Steve"Hog"Hanner said:

You mean there was a time with no internet? LOL Craig, you sound like a much determined knife collector!

Charles, I also remember when  a telephone was a big wooden box hanging on a wall!

and before you ask, Yes it still works!  Only problem is you can't turn the crank to "Ring Up" an operator. That service ended a long time ago.  But i can still receive calls on it!  Its a Stromberg. (Stromberg Carlson Telephone Mfg. Co,)

Some parts needed to be replaced in order to get it to work.  This wrok was dene by my father back in the mid 1960s.

Now THAT'S cool!

I got started , when...my grandfather would give me a Case knife every summer out of his store.  Later on I was in the store when a Gentleman named James Parker was there with Case and asked me for a Quarter and gave me a Tested Case Stag Trapper, He carried it in his pocket. I collected ever since then. That was in the 1980's

What a great story Terry, an early meeting with one J. Parker got you going! I bet not too many people can make that statement!

Terry Ray said:

I got started , when...my grandfather would give me a Case knife every summer out of his store.  Later on I was in the store when a Gentleman named James Parker was there with Case and asked me for a Quarter and gave me a Tested Case Stag Trapper, He carried it in his pocket. I collected ever since then. That was in the 1980's

When I was 14 I got my first deer hunting tag and so along with that I got my first Buck 102 - Woodsman.  Skinned a lot of squirrels with that Woodsman.  (Best recipe for squirrel stew - boil the squirrel, add potato's and vegetables.  When cooked, throw the squirrel in the hog pen and eat the stew.)   After the Woodsman I got a 105 - Pathfinder and then a 119 - Special and it just sort of went from there.  I didn't even think of myself as a knife collector until one day I realized I somehow had a whole bunch of knives and I needed a big container to keep them all in.  I still don't even know how many I have exactly, but it's a whole bunch, so I guess I am a collector.

You started so young Data. (I like the squirrel stew recipe) Sounds like one thing led to another and before you knew it...you are an iKnife Collector! I am happy you have a good hobby to enjoy!

Data (C Thomas) said:

When I was 14 I got my first deer hunting tag and so along with that I got my first Buck 102 - Woodsman.  Skinned a lot of squirrels with that Woodsman.  (Best recipe for squirrel stew - boil the squirrel, add potato's and vegetables.  When cooked, throw the squirrel in the hog pen and eat the stew.)   After the Woodsman I got a 105 - Pathfinder and then a 119 - Special and it just sort of went from there.  I didn't even think of myself as a knife collector until one day I realized I somehow had a whole bunch of knives and I needed a big container to keep them all in.  I still don't even know how many I have exactly, but it's a whole bunch, so I guess I am a collector.

as a pre teen,(early 70') seeing my dad prepare for hunting season, sharpening his knife and coming back with stories got me pretty passionate about knives.  I built up a collection of about 12 items by the time I was 17, got the collection stolen in my late teens and didn't really think about renewing it for years. Then i visited the Boston museum (1996, post university) of fine arts and saw the japanese katanas:  I was impressed by the machine like quality of the finished blades. As a designer of manufactured goods I simply could not believe the quality execution of those samurai swords... I had to try making someting as good... I went online and stumbled on knife blogs and knife forums... even in my town there were 4-5 custom knifemakers (two of them of international renown) and I was H O O K E D.   Discovering the online communities of makers and collectors made me feel just like a pre teen and looking thru my dad's GunsNAmmo magazines.  There was a whole world out there dedicated to the respectful fabrication and or use of knives.  I plan to re start my collection anew with my creations and purchases and keep each intem in a seperate display case as discussion pieces in my house.   

That's quite a story EJ and sounds like the seed for the knife loving hobby was planted early. I am curious to know who the knifemakers were who got you to reignite your passion? Our community is encompassed with folks of all kinds, collectors, makers, users, all who are involved in the hobby/business. Some makers who participate here you may also know. By all means show off your collection on your "My Page" and make it a showplace for your collection. I am sure we will all enjoy what you have. Thanks for being here.

ej fraser said:

as a pre teen,(early 70') seeing my dad prepare for hunting season, sharpening his knife and coming back with stories got me pretty passionate about knives.  I built up a collection of about 12 items by the time I was 17, got the collection stolen in my late teens and didn't really think about renewing it for years. Then i visited the Boston museum (1996, post university) of fine arts and saw the japanese katanas:  I was impressed by the machine like quality of the finished blades. As a designer of manufactured goods I simply could not believe the quality execution of those samurai swords... I had to try making someting as good... I went online and stumbled on knife blogs and knife forums... even in my town there were 4-5 custom knifemakers (two of them of international renown) and I was H O O K E D.   Discovering the online communities of makers and collectors made me feel just like a pre teen and looking thru my dad's GunsNAmmo magazines.  There was a whole world out there dedicated to the respectful fabrication and or use of knives.  I plan to re start my collection anew with my creations and purchases and keep each intem in a seperate display case as discussion pieces in my house.   

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service