Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I recently inherited a small box full of Cattaraugus Cutlery folders that were not very well taken care of over the years. Some have heavy rusting on the top edges with pitting and other discoloration of the steel. While I feel that some can at the least be resurrected for daily carry use as a tool. I really hesitate to do anything to the blades because of the historical value. What is the general consensus of opinion?

Views: 293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Must be cleaned up to prevent further corrosion, the sign of the times in knife collecting now days seems to keep patina and

but stop decay....

I have been refurbishing knives for several years and have done quite a lot of it.  I agree with Steve, Brad, John, and Ivars.  I think their opinions and repair techniques are right on.  However if I may, may I just add a different slant to what they are saying.

When repairing blades, I think it is important not to ruin the character of the blade or significantly change the blade’s strength/stiffness.  If you repair the blade such that the shape/character of the knife blade has changed, then I think that is too much.  The same is true for the strength/stiffness of the blade.  For example if you have taken away so much material that the blade is more narrow, thinner, shorter, or the proportions of the blade width from tang to blade end has changed, then that is too much repairing.  This translates into only removing the slightest amount of material in almost all cases.  I believe it is better to leave some corrosion or scratches in the blade than to compromise the blade’s character/strength.  I would advise doing the things Steve, Brad, John, and Ivars have recommended to “clean” the corrosion and smooth things out a little.

It also affects the decision of whether to spend much time on refurbishing a knife blade.  I have seen many knives where the blade has been sharpened “to death” and these characteristics have already been compromised.  For example, I have seen knife blades that have been sharpened incorrectly and so many times, that the blade is narrower at the blade’s center than it is at the tang or near the end of the blade.  To me, this blade is history and not worth spending much time on except to clean it a little and sharpen it for a “junk” knife.  The blade is past the point of keeping the blade’s character, it cannot be restored, and the chances are the knife is not worth much.

This is a different slant at looking on making such a decision.  Again, I agree with Steve, Brad, John, and Ivars opinions and repair techniques.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service