Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Wondering about knives with Wood Handles. Most TL-29's have them, some old Cattaraugus and a few of the Remington Year Knives have them. What other knives have Wood Handles??

What kinds of Wood is used?      It seems they last well - compared to Bone or other????

It is said the 1989 Trapper Remington Year Knife is a close repro of the original because it has Cocobola Wood handles and not Delrin.

Here is what it looks like:

Tags: Handles, Wood, knives, remington, trappers

Views: 754

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point. Ebony has a very tight grain.

Here are two more examples: a Cattaraugus

No, not that one - I can't seem to delete it - its this one:

Notice how black the color of that wood is.

As compared to this Camillus Navy Rope Knife

Some wooden handles. start out brown and end up almost black. The more you use them, the darker they get. I wonder what is the difference in price, from one wood to another?

I'm not up on values nowadays, especially since I don't collect for collector value, but wood handles always used to be pretty much lumped together as far as value, a long time ago. But there can be a fair bit of difference in price on new knives depending on what wood is used. 

Ken, I just came across on the Case website that the wood handles on their "utility" knives such as the electrician's knife, pruner etc was usually Walnut.

Interesting Craig, I wonder if most of the TL-29's are Walnut. I've never seen a wood handled Case but I guess they are out there. The ones I have seen are bone or Delrin in Electricians knives.  So, we can add Walnut to the other woods. Thanks Craig.    I wish there were some way to tell the difference.

I was thinking of lightly sanding one down and staining it, but that would take away from the true knife.

Hey, that Walnut is nice stuff.

Yes, I had a farm that was loaded with Walnut trees. People around here go around and pick the Walnuts and take them someplace and get paid for them. We have 2 in our yard now, hate it when I hit one with the lawn mower.

Here are a couple of TL-29's: KaBar and Camillus

I used one, like those in my trade years ago.

Robert, were you an Electrician? Do you still have the TL-29 you used? How about a pic?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service