Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Wondering about knives with Wood Handles. Most TL-29's have them, some old Cattaraugus and a few of the Remington Year Knives have them. What other knives have Wood Handles??

What kinds of Wood is used?      It seems they last well - compared to Bone or other????

It is said the 1989 Trapper Remington Year Knife is a close repro of the original because it has Cocobola Wood handles and not Delrin.

Here is what it looks like:

Tags: Handles, Wood, knives, remington, trappers

Views: 754

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was an Electrician and a A/C Mech. and a Commercial Refrigeration Mech. and a Commercial Kitchen Equipment Tech., for half of my working time and then, I was the boss of a large crew. There was, 9 Mech. and 9 Helpers. Oh lord, those were the days. I don't have my old stuff, except for pliers, I think.

Here are two variations as well as a Mini Trapper in the middle. Notice the pins on the one on the left. They are parallel, compared to the one on the right whose pins are offset.

Beautiful Ron!!! Them is mighty fine!

Ron, I am aware of the two variations on the 1989 Trapper. Wonder why they did that?

Ken, the way I understand it, in 1989 Remington made the two variations with the difference being that the ones with the angled, offset, center pins had their scales glued on. Whereas the ones with the straight, parallel, center pins were not glued. Their handles were, in fact, pinned on. The ones with the straight, parallel, pins are considered to be the more desirable of the two variations from a collector's perspective. At least, that has always been my understanding of this difference.

It looks like mine is offset, hope the glue doesn't come undone. Thanks Ron for the info, I knew there were 2 variations - you have explained the how - but wonder why they did that.?

Here are two more Jumbo Trappers made by Camillus for their Camillus Safari Series. The two Camillus are flanking the Remington with the offset pins in the first picture. The second picture shows the blade etchings on the Camillus knives. CSS-1 is the Water Buffalo and CSS-2 is the Jaguar...

DSC00009

The scales for the two on the left are Cocobolo while the knife on the right sports Bubinga handles. They are all beautiful. 

Spey Blades

These Jumbo Trappers from Remington and Camillus are some of my favorite knives. At 4.5" closed they truly are JUMBO!

And one last shot (below) of the 4 Jumbo's in my collection...

Remington's on the left and Camillus on the right.

They are beautiful Ron, Bubinga - that's a new one on me.

Here are a couple more, since I'm digging around in the archives. A better shot of the Camillus Safari Series...

CSS-1&2

And then here are a couple that show the size difference of the Jumbo Camillus next to a regular sized Walden Knife Company (repro) Trapper...

Camillus & Walden Trappers

Love those old wood handled Trappers. Seems as though they have really stood the test of time. Good topic, Ken!

Bubinga, is a Rose wood, I think. I'll try lookit up. I have a Boker Damascus knife of the year made out of it. The paper work might say or have some info. I'll check.

Bubinga....Sometimes called African Rose wood. There are 16 species in Africa and 3 in South American. They are found in swampy forrest. Only one of these species, from Africa is Bubinga {African Rosewood}. It is used in the making of musical instruments guitars, harps and drums. High end furniture, arts and crafts along with knife handles are made with it. The rare figured patterns, bring the highest top dollar.

I thought my knife was made with Bubinga but it's made of Amboyna Wood. And that's another story, folks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service