Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

This time of year I start thinking about getting away.  Whether it is just for a weekend or the GEC rendevouz with a week long time frame, when we get away it usually has to do with our love of knives. It is truely amazing, the number of things you can get away and do. Here are some ideas I have found.   Tell us what you would do if you could spend the utlitmate vacation and celebrate this wonderful hobby. 

Tags: Knife, Themed, vacations

Views: 1682

Replies to This Discussion

Came across this while doing some Pithole research

One of the local researchers told me a few stories about Pithole in it's heyday, thought I would share a few.

There was a widow that took in washing.  Now imagine drawing water from your well and hand washing those oil workers/drillers clothes...WOW

When a fire broke out one night on both sides of the main road, her well was the best location for the fire bucket brigade.  They used so much water trying to save the town that they used her well dry.  She gets up the next morning and drops a bucket to see if she has any water and pulls out pure crude oil!!!  She filled up every wash bucket and basin she had and just kept pulling crude out of the well.  This went on for 5 weeks and she became a very wealthy women in the community.  In that 5 week time frame she had over 70 marriage proposals (LOL)

One morning she got up and the well was dry again.  She drilled another water well  on her ajoining property and began washing clothes for the men again.

Pithole has ties to Hollywood!!!

Next to Pithole is an area called Ball town.  An investor for the Pithole area had this piece named after him.  Guess he was searching some type of fame.  His grand daughter did it another way.  Her name is Lucille Ball 

Another investor that brought his son with him to Pithole many times.  Frank Baum.  You may not have heard of him but the son wrote a book we all know.   The Wizard of OZ by  L. Frank Baum

Jan....

This is very interesting.  I like this stuff.  Thanks for doing this for us.

It is a beautiful area also Clint, the stone bridge built in 1897 over Pithole creek is on the National Registry of historic places

THIS is awesome.  Love to spend a day like this.  Does anyone know if there is a chance like this in the USA?

Welcome to Barrytown Knifemaking!

Come and make a knife in our backyard - you'll amaze yourself!

You get to forge your own blade from red hot steel, and complete your knife with native timber handle, brass bolsters and pins.

We start at 9:30 am and finish around 4 pm, with drinks and snacks until around 5 pm. The day starts with a quick run through on safety. The blades are forged and the handle assembled and ground to shape before lunch.

Lunch is provided, usually toasted sandwiches.

After lunch the blades are ground and sanded to shape before a final polish and sharpen.Then we celebrate!

Cost is NZ$120 per person. We accept cash, Visa or Mastercard.
Bookings are essential - please let us know by 7pm the previous day.

To book, you can call free within NZ 0800 256433 (0800 AKNIFE), 
phone Steven or Robyn 03 731 1053, or email: rob.steve@xtra.co.nz

TRAVELLING WITH YOUR KNIFE IS NOT A PROBLEM!

You can take them into any country - just make sure to keep them in your main (not cabin) luggage. We have made many thousands of knives and they have travelled safely throughout the world...

http://www.barrytownknifemaking.com/gallery.html

This sounds like a nice way to spend a vacation

September 24th & 25th, 2011
The Shepherd of the Hills Homestead

The Shepherd of the Hills Homestead (preserved homestead of the leading characters of the novel of the same name), in Branson, MO will host a hammer-in & knife show this fall where many of the country’s top knife makers will gather for what shapes up to be a complete custom knife making experience. In the demonstration area, there will be three forges (two gas & one coal) with continuous demonstrations all weekend. The Son’s of the Pioneer’s Pavilion Theater (adjacent to the blacksmith shop) will host the knife show so one can wander between both venues at no admission charge.

Contact us today to learn about
this exciting knife making event!

Could you handle 2 shows in totally different surroundings in a week.  Mine would start this weekend with the Parker show at The Sevierville Events Center at Bridgemont.  The surrounding area is just too beautiful to pass up and it always includes some old familiar faces with welcome smiles.  This show is an excellent place to discover "older" knife finds and see some new material also.  The drive from there to Atlanta could be filled with some wonderful adventures.  There area is full of history and wildlife.  I would be sure to stop and see my buddies the bears at the indian reservation.  Finally the Blade show.  This is one I look forward to every year.  If you have never been I would highly recommend it.  There are people from all over the world that come to sell, see and talk knives. There are always a lot of live demonstartions and the competitions for "best" of each catagory brings out some knives to drool over. I wonder if the bears want to come along?

For those looking to travel in the far east region, there is a village in Thailand that carries on the tradition of thier forefathers.  Knife making.  The entire village of Aranyikworks in some form of the occupation. 

Aranyik is a small village in the province of Ayutthaya, Thailand, approximately 70 Kilometers north of Bangkok.

Over the years, and for centuries, several blacksmiths in the village developed a reputation for crafting metal, chiefly steel, for swords used in combat and historical battles. Later on, and today, the fabrication is focused mainly on sword replicas and also on innovative cutlery designs as well as table decorations or utilities. Although the craftsmen origins are traceable back to Laotian ancestors from Vientiane, their skill and methods to work the sword materials incorporate several Japanese techniques.

Their products are mainly provided by the most important company in Aranyik belonging to the chief blacksmith of the village. The man is known as Khun Lung Som (Khun for sir or mister, Lung means Uncle yet is a courteous and polite form to call elderly or respectful people, Som is his name). His company's name is Sor Arunyig, a.k.a. S. Aranyik or S.Arunyik.

That would be a wonderful place to spend the day

Anyone going to Alaska for the fall?  This may be a way to spend a few hours

The ULU Factory invites you to a truly interesting experience at Alaska’s most unique manufacturing facility.

Watch the knives being made, the blade and handle assembled and packaged. A staff member will be happy to take you on a personal tour.

The Ulu Factory has been making the most distinct product of the north - the Alaska ulu – for over 25 years. We started off in a small one-car garage on the east side of Anchorage.

We are currently over 12,000 sq. ft. in our manufacturing and retail facility and growing, building what we believe is the best quality and the widest selection of ulu knives and accessories to be found anywhere.

So I guess you can tell that we’re proud of our ulu knife, its heritage and hope you will be too. We’re glad you chose a real Alaskan ulu, made with all USA products. Thanks for sharing our site with us. We really hope that you’ve learned a little bit more about the ulu knife and by the way, if you’re ever in Anchorage, stop by and say "hi."

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service