Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

No its not me as I think my running days are kind of behind me but I will be in attendance at this years event, the 3rd annual. Runners from all over the world descend or maybe I should say ascend  to the Foothills of the Ozarks for a 100 mile sprint across incredibly difficult terrain. Not huge mountains but elevations of 800 to 900 feet are not uncommon.

You might ask what that has to do with Survival? Well just about everything.  I along with many other ham radio operators will be providing support to the runners and communicating to race control point about the safety and well being of all participants.

We travel to remote check in points usually with only primitive conditions. We are asked to be prepared for the following weather conditions:  WEATHER: Aid station operators should be prepared for any weather; have shelter from the elements for yourself and your station, and the means to stay warm if necessary. Weather conditions during the event may vary widely, with temperatures ranging from low 80's for highs to below freezing, 10-11 degrees for lows, with humidity being very dry to very wet, and monsoon-like showers and tropical depressions with high winds. The average high temperature for race weekend is upper 50's and the average low is in the upper 30's, but wide variances can occur. It may rain; it may hail. Don't be without a hat and emergency poncho or garbage bag. Ensure that radio equipment is protected in case of sudden rain showers or snow. If thunderstorms approach, take appropriate cover. It may snow. It may be a bright, sunny, warm weekend.
Bring a NOAA weather radio receiver or scanner so you can continuously monitor conditions

Here is a check list of requested gear:

Tool Kit
___Car Battery
Battery Cables
___Halogen Lights, Vehicle or Tripod mount
12V Soldering Iron or
Butane soldering torch
___Solder
Screws
Bolts
___Pliers
Wrenches
___Sharp Knife
Hatchet
Gerber or Leatherman Tool
___Hose Clamps
Wire Tie Wraps
___Hammer
Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
___Vis Queen
Flares
Shovel
___Cordless Drill, Bits
Siphon Hose
___Hand or 12v Air Pump
Tubeless Tire Repair Kit
Wrench Set
___Screw Driver Set
Needle Nose Pliers
___Vice Grips
Ice Pick

Because leaves are falling from trees rocks are a hidden danger. Broken legs or ankles are possible. No helicopter transport can land nearby, 4 wheel drive or manual carry after victim stabilization is all thats available. Chain saws, machetes, various knives for cutting splints, tree branches etc are all important.

Although its all for fun and enjoyment its a chance to experience survival in the mountains on your own and be responsible for the lives of colleagues as well as runners and other personnel .

More later!

Tags: Mountain, Survival, check, equipments, lists

Views: 105

Replies to This Discussion

Hog,

Will you be field testing any new equipment this year?

Sure will, in addition to old antenna I rebuilt, I am using some old field testing equipment to seek out radio signals. Also using or might use... a new machete in case we get to heavy brush!

Jan Carter said:

Hog,

Will you be field testing any new equipment this year?

thats great hog i am also interested in ham radio.i listen to local stations around here and am trying to learn more.it is a hobby thats starting to be a lost art....

What a great weekend! This time weather cooperated and we had milder temps vs. last year. This year the Ozark Trails 100 mile Endurance Race enticed 85 runners from around the world to compete in the two day event. Where I live the leaves are off the trees and cover the ground. Our hills and trails are rocky and when covered by leaves...treacherous. We has two twisted ankles in the first 4 hours of the race. no serious search and rescue this time though. Camping by the river was beautiful and actually very peaceful as we stayed glued to the radio. Each runner had to be cleared station by station so that we would know if we lost one in between.

The runners are a rugged bunch, mostly me but of all ages. The oldest competing this year was 58. Surprising this year was an increase in the number of women running in the event. All runners seemed to thoroughly enjoy the scenery and the challenge. The amount of carbs ingested was incredible!  But when you run like that its all consumed quickly. The runners carry nothing but a small survival pack. Mostly to prepare them should they fall or suffer shock. They do carry some tools to ward off coyotes or other critters of the forest looking for a quick snack.

Ham radio clubs from all over the three county area participate. Its an excellent chance for us to practice emergency management, processing emergency information, and communication. Club members stay in touch on other frequencies leaving the main group of channels open for race traffic. It was a great adventure..looking forward to next year already!

Stephen, I would encourage you to pick up a technician level book by Gordon West. It will get you started and explain everyting step by step, including actual questions from the test. Study those and when you are ready, find a club who is certified and can test you. In no time you will have a license and be on your way.

In fact I encourage all Modern Survivalist members to get into Ham Radio. Their may be a time when cell phone operation is obstructed, internet could become blocked....how will you communicate? With ham radio I can communicate around the world with a small radio, good antenna and use less electric power than a light bulb.

stephen tungate said:

thats great hog i am also interested in ham radio.i listen to local stations around here and am trying to learn more.it is a hobby thats starting to be a lost art....

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service