Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

A barlow knife has one or two blade, a huge metal bolster, and a comfortable tear-drop shaped handle. the blade or blades are attached at the small end of the handle. The first barlow being made in Sheffield England in the 1600's. It was made by several American shops soon after, and has become as American  as "apple pie". George Washington was known to have a barlow knife, Mark twain referred to a "real barlow" in his tom sawyer and huckleberry finn in 1876. Barlow's have long been gifts treasured by young American boys through the ages. at least on song was written about a barlow knife.

"I been livin' here all my life, All I got is a Barlow Knife; Buck horn handle and a barlow blade, Best dang knife that ever was made."

Tags: Barlow, Pattern, barlow-knives

Views: 3598

Replies to This Discussion

Reply by Tobias Gibson on September 5, 2013 at 7:40

I'll need to put this one in the "Show us you Rough Riders" thread also!   This one is the Rough  Rider Sawcut Bone Big Daddy Barlow (RR 944)  RR does a great job with their sawcut line.   The barlow pops to the half-stop and full with a good snap and the blade is sharp, sharp, sharp.  The pictures don't do this knife justice.  I would've liked it better without the bomb shield.

Reply by Robert Burris on September 7, 2013 at 9:08

Okay, this is my best Barlow. Full blade and snaps like a Gator. I don't collect Russell's but I do collect Barlows. I can see through this knife, what our fore fathers saw in a good Barlow knife.

Reply by Tobias Gibson on September 7, 2013 at 9:58

That's a good'un, Robert.  What I like most about Barlows is when the bolster is turned into the shield.   Barlows don't need shields!

Reply by Robert Burris on September 7, 2013 at 10:08

I agree, there is so much a knife company can put on there. A Barlow should be there #1 pattern, to show off there company.

Reply by Donald Lee Hargrove on September 8, 2013 at 10:55

Thanks!  I don't usually collect Barlows, but these struck my fancy.  I follow US Classics around to see if they bring out another old pattern.  Same with Rough Rider, Colt, Marbles, & Taylor.  Neat stuff at a price I can afford.  Hmmm.  Never had a Daddy Barlow -- I was afraid they'd squawk if I wore it to work.  Well, that's not a problem any longer, lol.

Reply by Robert Burris on September 8, 2013 at 11:12

I love a Daddy Barlow. It's big enough to " Getter Done ".....lol

Reply by Robert Burris on January 24, 2014 at 8:50

I picked up a couple of Barlow's last night on eBay. The first one is a 1984 Heritage Shurade and the other one is a aluminum bolster vintage Queen. I'll post pictures when I get them. I usually don't collect much this time of year, too busy hunting and camping, but I could not resist these two sweet little knives.

Reply by Tom Chase on January 24, 2014 at 20:14

Here are some of my Canal Street English Barlows

Tom

Attachments:

Reply by Tom Chase on January 24, 2014 at 20:17

Another shot

Attachments:

Reply by Terry Ray on January 24, 2014 at 20:25

Great ole Barlow , Robert  true American Culture at its finest

Reply by Robert Burris on January 27, 2014 at 19:53

I have just received them and they are great, almost mint and very well made. I have added two fine Barlows, to my collection.

Reply by Robert Burris on January 28, 2014 at 17:53

This is a photo of my two new Barlow's. A Queen and a Schrade Barlow to add to my collection.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service