Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

When I was a young lad dating my future wife, I remember when I used to go to her house for supper her father would use a carbon steel carving knife and fork with beautiful  stag handles! The blade had a very dark patina on it. Many of his kitchen knives were carbon steel too. 

Does anyone have carbon steel kitchen knives?

Tags: carbon, carving, fork, knife, steel

Views: 842

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, I got a set of the Old Hickory kitchen knives. 

Actually quite nice considering how inexpensive they are. They came with pretty bade edges so I re-profiled the edges and and got shaving sharp edges with a bit of elbow grease. I also coated the handles with some semi-gloss marine grade polyurethane. 

Since my wife uses them mostly, I waited to see how she liked them. After a number of days, she was more than happy! Held their edges MUCH better than any of our stainless knives (Henckels,  Victorinox, old Imperial, Case), and they are so easy to touch up if they need it, which they haven't needed it much yet! 

Also she says she REALLY likes the old timey blade designs better than the  "Chef's Knife"  design that everyone is using anymore. 

So, so far, we are quite pleased, to have made our move into carbon steel!

I've redone dozens of handle on Old Hickory's. I like to sand down the finish that's on the handles, then stain them with all sorts of different stains. Then maybe put a polyurethane finish on them.

That sounds good Robert! If I was still doing knife re-handling, I'd do some of the Old Hickory's.

Okay, my wife and I have been using the heck out of our carbon steel Old Hickorys. I've hardly had to touch up the edges at all!!! Once I got the edges re-profiled and razor sharp, they are holding an edge like I've never seen in stainless kitchen knives! Amazing.

LOL! 

I don't know why I'm laughing, now you have me thinking about using MY KaBar in the kitchen! Lol!

Pat ChoKo said:

It's gonna sound funny, but I use a KaBar in the kitchen for most "bigger" chores, and that's 1095. Last Thanksgiving, I carved the turkey with my TOPS M4X. Crazy, I know, but I go for what works.

Well, you know, I've hard of guys using pocket knives for food preparation....using a KaBar makes more sense.......to me.

Well guys, ya'll have found out something I have been saying for awhile. A good knife should beable to skin a deer and help prepare it for super.

I use my opinel in the kitchen...

An Opinel? Hmmm, I've never owned an Opinel. How do you like them overall?

Made a carver out of one, Craig.  They're good knives, you just need to keep it dry or the handle will swell and it can't close.  Other than that I love it as a general utility knife. 

I don't suppose it's possible to get a bit of polyurethane in there to keep the swelling from happening? 

I wonder if the Renaissance Wax would help it keep for swelling?

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service