The online community of knife collectors, A Knife Family Forged in Steel
Its been a while since I posted here. My question pertains to my project Buck 317. Where I'm replacing the factory scale with Black Walnut wood scales.
So far I have the scales fitted to the knife frame but they still need to be trimmed for the final finish. Sorry about no pictures yet. However they will be posted soon.
I have given a lot of thought to how the scales should be attached to the knife frame. I thought about using an epoxy type glue along with replacing the spring pin as was done on the knife from the factory, using the pin to help keep the scales in position and attached.
I also gave some thought to using a set of screws along with a adhesive to hold the scales on as the frame has a couple punched holes in it that could be threaded and the scale drilled. The screws could then be fitted as to length and use lock tight on the threads for staying tight.
What I did finally come up with is mounting the scales on the frame with out using any fasteners and I've already cut and braded the spring pin in the frame so it is under the scale.
As the 317 will not be an edc ( I think it needs a break) and as the 317 and I have a rather long history together. What type of adhesive would be recommended for attaching the scales. The frame will be sanded as will the mounting side of the scales so the adhesive will have a good bond.
Thanks Wally G.
Donnie uses a product we get from Jantz called CA for liners but for scales he uses a 2 part epoxy
Jan thanks for the info. I am considering several different adhesives but it looks like epoxy may be the winner for attaching the scales. I finally got my pictures together and have been going thru them so I can upload few. Oops! error. Be back in a bit
Lets see if I can get them to upload this time
I'm slowly getting there. About all I need right now is the scales trimmed to where they conform to the frame of the 317. Then I can get to working on finishing them out. As they will be a bit different than original Derlin scales were. I thought I'd throw a couple pictures of the condition the 317 was in when I found it under the house we lived in. I carried and used it in that condition for many years. After I broke the tip off of the main blade it wound up in the not used knife drawer.
It was not until I came across IKC while looking for info on knife that I even gave thought to the many knives I have collected over the years and the more recent purchases
Wally Guittard said:
I also use 2-part epoxy of the 1 hr set time. The longer cure time holds better than the .. say .. 5 min variety.
I think Donnie uses that and sometimes the 24 hour set depending on the material. Some have so much of the stabilizing material in them that you need as you said "a longer curing time for a better hold"
The knife seems to be coming along just fine! Take your time, enjoy the process...I know you will enjoy the results
Project 317 completed today. The scales are attached using Gorilla clear epoxy and I used Minwax clear semi-gloss polyurethane for the finish on them. The old knife actully looks better than I thought it would.
I'd like to be able polish the bolsters a lot better. What kind of polishing compound is recommended?.
It does look good Wally. We use a polishing called simichrome
Looks great, Wally.
Yup .. 'tis a learning experience every time.
!!! .. Nice Results .. !!!
Jan.. D ale, Thank you....... it was a learning experiance. After I finished it I got to looking at tools for the dremel and found one that the dremel tool can be mounted to and there are a lot of uses that can be done with it. I wish I had looked it up before I started on the 317 project as it would have made it a lot easier.
However the completion of the 317 has got me to thinking about trying a few more as I have some scale material that can be used on a fixed blade so a fixed blade might be next. Then I might start looking at knives that are missing or have a damaged scale.
The only problem that would bother me is replacing the pins. I have a 15pound anvel and a very decent shop hammer. Getting the pins to brad over with out damaging the scale is what bothers me and I not found a tool to do that with.
Most knives I've looked at look like the pins are inserted then braded over and the knive polished or sanded so everything is a nice smooth surface. I actully prefer the look of the Buck 110. Where the pins are braded over and stick up a little bit on the scale.
I have some thoughts on that but more after a bit more thought. D ale thank you for the info on the wooden vice. That tool is a life saver. Jan I'll check out simichrome.