Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I Contend that the 58  MM Victorinox Classic SD is the most CARRIED knife in the World and quite possibly the most collected.  

http://www.iknifecollector.com/group/swissarmyknives/forum/topics/p...

I wonder what the non-Swiss Army crowd thinks?

58 mm Vics

The Rambler, a cousin to the Classic SD.

Views: 318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well that is a good question. If you say the most collected, the only other brand I would put out there is Case. But considering Worldwide, what might be in more pockets or drawers, it might well be Victorinox. It would be interesting to hear from some other collectors.

I'm inclined to agree. There are probably more SAK's being carried and just tucked away somewhere than any other blade going. I think SAK's also affordable to more people and more practical to the everyday person who is not a cuttlery afficianado. A more common nail cleaner, string cutter, paper trimmer, spinter pulling, tooth cleaning you'll not find in one piece of hardware that you don't even realize is in your pocket.

Another point of contention:  Victorinox makes very few knives with the collector in mind.  The only possible exception is the Designer 58mm Classics.  However even these i pieced to use.  Case, Queen, and other American make quite a few knives with the collector in mind. for the longest time ti seemed you could pretty much get a Swiss Army knife in any color you wanted, as long as you wanted RED!  

But as the Swiss Army knife collectors can tell you, there really is more than meets the eye and there are plenty of SAKs out there that had very small production numbers and are some what uncommon.  For instance, my 84 mm tinker from 1952 , lacks a bale or key ring, has a file on the Phillips Screw driver and has the new Pat Pending Can opener (the one currently being used.)  If that isn't enough, the inside curve of the cap lifter is sharpened for stripping wire, or cutting cord and it has a small clip blade.    Much different that today's 91 mm tinker.

1952  Vic Tinker, Mint with the box

1952 Tinker at the top and today's Super Tinker on the bottom.   Original instrcution sheet in between and the box on the side,

No tweezers, no toothpick, and no key ring.. The Phillips is flat on the two inside surfaces with one surface being a file.  The outer edge of the Phillips is rounded to fit the profile of the knife.   You can't see it in the photos but one of the cut outs for the Phillips driver is elongated and doubles as finger pull. Several Victorinox innovations on a single knife.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service