Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Blades larger than standard fixed and folding knives. In other words, the top 90% or more of all the knives in use..

***********************************OUR NEWEST SPONSOR******************************************************

Grand Opening Give Drawing!

December 13, 2019|Special Offers

I'll be giving away a couple of items for the Grand Opening of Trestle Pine Knives.  It's also Christmas so it's a win win no matter how you look at it!  All you have to do is subscribe to the Trestle Pine Blog or create an account.  Either of these actions will increase your eligibility for future drawings or specials.

For the Grand Opening by opening an account you become eligible to win either a Marble's Mini-Ax OR an Helle Algonquin neck knife.  The drawing will be held on New Years Eve so you have some time to get your name in.  Grand Opening Give Away Drawing!

Tags: &, (and, Adzes, Axes, Cleavers, Kukris, Machetes, Saws, Tomahawks, Ulus)

Views: 3571

Replies to This Discussion

Comment by Andy Voelkle "AxeMan" on November 25, 2011 at 23:48

Not many tasks in building a small cabin require an axe. I's ask Mr. Proenneke what he used. From the photo it seems to be a light 3/4 size double bit. The choice of saws is more important. I'd choose a thin Tuttle Tooth design, although there are several tooth designs of that general type that work fine. From my oft-used collection of a couple dozen I'd pick a thin 28-40 inch model, maybe one with a 6-8" tip of starting teeth, all well-set.

A small cabin 11x14 wouldn't be big enough for me, my wife, a couple of friends to visit, out-from-underfoot room for a couple of hounds and my nasty tempered old tomcat who bites.

Maybe someone who knows more about this subject could build a cabin. I'm too old. Could have done this when young, but not at Dick's age or mine. When you look at the photos, he seems to have pinned the logs rather than flattening,  or a D-U lap. Did he mention a good sized brace and bit?

Comment by Jan Carter on November 25, 2011 at 16:39

OK, so I have a question.  If you were to do this, what would you take for your axe?

Dick Proenneke built his cabin using only hand tools, no backhoes, no chainsaws, no electric drill, just hand powered tools. Dick even made many of his tools himself.

Dick's cabin measured 11' by 14'. It had a gravel floor, windows, a dutch door, a fireplace, and a moss covered waterproof roof. He had to build all his own furniture too, chairs, tables, desk and his bunk. He also built a cache to store his food out of the reach of the animals.

Comment by Clint Thompson on October 21, 2011 at 10:02

eremi....

By looking at your picture, one could say you are into tomahawks.   I appreciate your assistance in my continuing project.  As you stated, there are a few heroes who do have a personal Hawk and takes them into country.  Once in country the Hawk will be carried around in their rucksack.  Now, to say if this same soldier's squad is assigned to patrol a ten mile stretch in the mountains on foot will he/she take the Hawk or take two extra mags of ammo?  Weight is a big concern.

Things like ammo, water and a couple of MREs are more of a priority than a Hawk.  So far the contacts I have talked to such as SF, Seals and one former Israeli commando and renowned knife fighting martial artist, say extra ammo wins out over a Hawk.  Protecting a foxhole or fortified position would be a good place to have your Hawk slid inside of your belt.

Jeremi for a good but inexpensive Hawk you might check outhttp://www.hbforge.com/.  I received a sample from them and found it to be well made.  No fancy stuff but a good rendition of a colonial period Hawk.  Thanks again Jeremi.

Comment by Jeremi Lett on October 21, 2011 at 1:09

Clint I read that article before I knew it was you who wrote it.I enjoyed it and it was informative.I own a few hawks as you know if u have seen my pics.No knowledge of actual issue t-hawks for soldiers,but know of a guy that takes one into missions as a breaching/CQB implement.

Comment by Robert Burris on October 20, 2011 at 20:55

Kent, I think that Nessmuk and alot of the other northern campers were cutting up a more resnous wood. The forest aroud here has alot of hardwoods that you better have a chain saw but also has some softer more easily cut and split trees. I don't camp in a pine forest most of the time so can't help you there.

Comment by KENT GABLE on October 20, 2011 at 17:15

Howdy to y'all fellow axe men! Well, I finally had a chance to do a little "sissy" camping (I call it that because I ain't backpacking and sleep in a rather large tent) along with my 44 year old son out on a local river nearby called the Okalawaha. Best dang river for natural beauty I know of 'round these here parts of FL. I had the opportunity to finally use my GB Small Forest Axe and found it very adequate for most camp chores, namely shaving off kindling from larger pine logs which I had brought along. Limbing was impossible as it had rained and most fallen trees were wet & loaded with lichen and poor fer campfire use. "Punky" is the term, I believe?

This seems to me to be a fine axe for most smaller limbing and sharp enough to suit me? Only thing I can't figure is why this FL pine is so dang tough? Man, this stuff is half iron? I'd need a full size maul & wedge to split up these logs? The axe itself though is fine and certainly lives up to it's reputation as a quality tool.

Another thing I can't figure is how Nessmuck & others, far more capable woodsmen than myself, could get by with their mini hatchets? A good Bowie would be just about as good-well almost? Maybe I'm just not the man I used to be or maybe I never was but I'd need a good hefty maul to split up this pine into suitable kindling. Still, all in all, these GB small axes are adequate for most camp tasks although I'm not sure they command the hefty price compared to other qualty axes as I'm just not that familiar with Wettlings or Marbles or the like?  Time will tell though and I'll keep y'all posted.

Comment by Clint Thompson on October 20, 2011 at 16:34

I just received my copy of the Nov. issue of Knives Illustrated which will be on the newstands the first of October. Check it out.

My article is "Tomahawks as Tactical Weapons".  I explored the Vietnam Tomahawk issue with a former LRRP Ranger who was there from 1968 to 1969.  I would like some feedback from this group about the subject of are tomahawks

For instance, I have a Navy Seal friend of 18 years service as a Seal and retired from the Navy with over 20 years service.  He told me he never seen or heard of any Navy Seal carrying a tomahawk in those 18 years.  This was what the LRRP Ranger of Vietnam era told me as well.  Yes I believe tomahawks were carried in Vietnam and could have been carried in every conflict we were involved in.  However, they were never standard issue and when issued were used as a tool and not a weapon.  So buy the magazine, read my article and give me some input.

If you were ever in any military special operations unit who was issued a tomahawk, please let me know by way of this form

Comment by Robert Burris on September 10, 2011 at 20:16

Kent, thats it, use your high end custom for the enjoyment of your outdoor experience and your lesser knife for the dirty work. I carry two knives, a folder and a fixed blade. While out on your adventure bring one of each quality and when the dirty job comes along you will know the one to use. Bringing my high quality knife on a trip adds alot to the fun, I hope it does the same for you.

Comment by KENT GABLE on September 10, 2011 at 15:16

Hey Robert,  rest assured that I ain't letting age nor arthritis stop me from doing all the things I still love outdoors. I'm fixin' on keepin' on, till the bitter end.

As far as knives go, I agree we all have different ideas on which one is best suited for each of us. Knives are as unique as the individuals who use them and that's what makes them both interesting. The one thing that I noticed about Randall's cutlery is that they are all finished extremely well. You can readily notice the difference between these hand made knives and those which are mass produced. That's not to mean that there aren't some very fine & reliable factory made knives and I'll still be purchasing those for the most part as high quality hand made knives are typically just too expensive for me.

What good is it if you spend all your dough on knives or other equipment and don't have enough left to go on safari or something of a like nature? 

Comment by Robert Burris on September 9, 2011 at 19:55

Kent, you are right on size and shape, but you must always try to find what suits you. Different people have so many shapes and sizes not counting their ability and strenth. What works for me might not work for you, get the idea. I would not stop camping just because you are up in age, just camp closer to the truck...lol

Comment by Andy Voelkle "AxeMan" on September 7, 2011 at 14:35

Guys--

I agree with your assessment of these fine GB axes. It's always a fine line when I have to choose only one to take. Here is a photo of the three mentioned, and a couple of others that get carried a lot:

http://www.iknifecollector.com/photo/andyscampaxes0788a-1?context=user

Comment by KENT GABLE on September 7, 2011 at 1:42

Robert-Lately I've been reading Horace Kephart's book "Camping & Woodcraft" and he gives a description of his pocket axe which is the same as Nesmuck's. If I remember correctly, I believe his axe (or tomahawk) had a 2 1/2" face, 10" handle and weighed approximately 3/4 lb.

Interestingly (to me, at least), this description matches the new Mini Belt Hatchet being sold by Gransfors Bruks for around $160 although I've seen them go for even less. I've seen a video of it and it seems to perform quite nicely and it's real compact and light to carry.

However, I personally like a hatchet or small axe that would be a little bigger with more heft for most camp chores and still fit into a backpack which is why I bought their Small  Forest Axe (3 1/4" face, 1 1/2 lbs., 19" handle). So far, I haven't really had a chance to use it but I'll let y'all know my thoughts on it after a good field test.

Truth is, I just don't backpack anymore. I've become old 'n lazy & enjoy being comfortable as much possible. My Buck 119 Special with a 6" blade or my Randall Model 5 with a 5" fixed blade seems to be adequate for all my camping  needs but I DO like that Mini Belt Hatchet as well.

Another interesting point I learned is that California has banned shipping the Mini's to the "Golden State". Why, I have no idea? To me, just another example of a screwball law that needs to be challenged by an organization like AKTI. I have recently requested that they challenge Florida's absurd knife law that considers any fixed blade knife to be a weapon like a gun. If Iwere to chop someone up, I think I'd rather do it with a nice big full sized axe or better yet, why not use my Stihl chainsaw and do it right! Maybe we should ban chainsaws next? Nuts.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
16 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
17 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Apr 21
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service