Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I was hired to repair, well that might not be the right word.. lets say build a Camillus US Military Pilots Survival Knife. My customer Allen gave me a Camillus blade and guard and asked me to put it together, It will be a gift for a friend of his.

This company went out of business in 2007 so I did some research and was able to find the drawings for the parts I need to make, the pommel and Case.

This is what he gave me, I took a picture of it on top of one of the drawings I found online:

Views: 8155

Replies to This Discussion

Nice work with the solder! Did you just eye-ball the guard to level it prior to soldering? Whatever you did it turned out good. I like the idea of using the spring the way you did. I may have to steal that!

Hi Ron,

Thanks! 

I eye-balled it I guess? This was flat against flat and the pressure keeps it that way. I have used the spring method once before, my cousin told me about it. On other knives I build I pin and solder the guards, pinning was not an option here.

To solder I use hot air gun, sometimes torch being careful not to draw out temper. I am always messy with soldering. I cleaned it up with flat and curved hand gravers then wire wheel brush on rotary Foredom tool followed with bead blast.

Howdy, Dan!

Thanks for the response and technique info. That's gonna be one sweet knife once you get done with it if the progress thus far is any indication. It looks great!

Onward and upward, my friend!

Ron

Final finish

I am extremely happy with the results!

Daniel Howland said:

Final finish

It looks great, Dan! 

To see this process watch Tim's video, I did the exact same thing.

Thanks Ron!

I ordered some leather washers for the handle from knifekits, while I wait for them I will machine metal pommel and spacers from dimensions that Dale provided.

Ron Cooper said:

It looks great, Dan! 

Thanks for posting the link to Tim's video. The process certainly looks easy enough and it definitely does produce a nice result.

Had to anneal the hardened end so I could tap it 1/4 28.

Making the pommel

Pommel is done, I still need to harden it, bead blast and cook it in the crock pot.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service