Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Been thinking of changing the direction of my collection. Someone said: sell off some knives to make room for new ones. I like all my knives but I could sell some. Wondering what direction to take. 

Any thoughts on the subject?

Views: 527

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoy giving them to family members that cannot afford to buy knives as often as i do . I did not buy them to make money to begin with, and it brings me more joy to see someone else enjoy the knife like i did .

Good point Ricky, and thats the way I feel to.

I enjoy giving knives to young sportsman. I try to teach them a little about the outdoors and then give them an inexpensive knife.

I have bought some knives a few years ago and now I see them selling on eBay for more than I paid for them. I am not sure if the price has gone up because of collectability and value or inflation. Either way, I don't mind seeing them sell for more $$$.

It gives you a good feeling to give a knife to a young person. Their eyes just light up. There is just something about a pocket knife. Young or old - you just gotta love it.

I usually ask their parents first. Just to make sure every thing is okay with it. You are right about those young ones getting excited. They remember it for years. Rough Riders and knives in that class are perfect ones to give to young people.

Yes, you should always ask the parents first. Esp for the younger kids. Rough Riders are a very well made knife, and are very nice looking, and you are right, the perfect knife for giveaways. Most are $10 or less.

The Grandkids from Texas got in last night. They brought several of their knives with them. This will "Shake-up" my collection as I will let them choose several knives to keep for their collection.

Yahoo! I know you must be excited. Have fun.

I'm at the about the same place you are, Ken.  I seriously looking at thinning the herd.  I've got around 500 and several of them have little or no appeal to me.  They are fine knives but I think someone else will enjoy them more.

Several have been targeted as knives I plan to give away. 

Several others are targeted for other methods of disposal.  Quite frankly what I'd prefer to do is trade with another knife enthusiast that actually sell the knives.  I don't want to go into too much detail because I know we have rules on IKC about selling and trading and when the time comes I'll post in the Knives for sell or trade area.  Yeah but when that time comes I think it is going to be knives for trade. I think there is a more personal attachment when knives are trade as opposed to sold. 

Either way you should keep your eyes open because  I'll be giving a knife or two away in the "Great Outdoors" in a few weeks. And if you recall, the knife that is given away will you usually have some "friends" tagging along for the ride.

On a side note a person who works for me has just landed a new job and his last day is July 16. He collects large fixed blades, including some made in Pakistan. I've had the one below for about two years and it ain't doing nothing but collecting dust.  I'm thinking it just as well collect dust in his collection.  What do you all think? 

It is the Colt CT417 Alamo Bowie. 

This was my first impression of the knife when I first got it.

12.5 inches overall length.

7 inch blade.

Made in Pakistan.  

All in all a nice looking knife but there is a blemish on the brass guard and the false edge seems a little off center.  The sheath is pretty decent and makes the knife look good.  I'm uncertain as to the quality of the blade steel and suspect it is 420. It has never been used and I still have the box.

Tobias, sounds like a plan. Yes, that sure is a nice sheath. I think the knife will make a great gift for your friend.

I gave 4 folders to my Grandaughter and a large fixed to my Grandson just today. They were excited.

My Grandson is making a shelter out at my farm and working on survival skills.

I agree with you, that trading is better than selling - I am going to consider trading some in the future.

Good looking Bowie. I think the Colt line is a step up from some of those. Hey trading knives sounds like fun.

Robert, I also thought the Colt's would be a step up but I felt a little disappointed when I saw the word Pakistan hidden on the swedge.  Yep, you heard me!  HIDDEN ON THE SWEDGE1  It was like colt and SMKW was ashamed to admit where the knife came from.  Then, when I checked their website I noticed the steel was just listed as "Stainless Steel"   I had assumed they were making their fixed blade in China using 440 Steel but nope.  Now I'm very careful to make sure where they are coming from.   I have had some luck with a few of their Pakistan made knives but I'm not going to pay $10 $15 more for a knife made in Pakistan simply based on a Tang Stamp. 

This one will make a good looking wall hanger or a decent camp knife if you want to hack at wood and don't mind sharpening it frequently.  My friend should like it and with that, this knife will give me great a deal more pleasure than it does now.  To me that is a Win/Win. situation.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service