Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I pretty much have had my knives in a plastic tub. Last year for Christmas my wife got me the small oak chest in the attached picture. It is very nice but holds so few knives I started my search for an economical yet sizable display option.

I found these flat file cabinets also in the pictures. It has 10 drawers, 15x24x2. The ones I found were very expensive so I started searching e bay and found this one for a great price. I picked up some foam and the funny blue pic is fabric samples. I am going to line the drawers with foam and cover it in fabric. Then build my display one drawer at a time. I can even create little cards for the file slot behind the handles to indicate which type/maker is in the drawer

I would love to see anyone else's display case!! I will post pics to show my progress!!

Your thought would be appreciated!!

Views: 516

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Better pic of the cabinet attached.
Attachments:

Don

I think your flat file cabinet is a fantastic idea! I have several "Loose knives" that I have in several small individual display boxes but I sometimes have to go thru several to find the knife I am looking for. This is a great idea for displaying and for finding what you want without a lot of looking around.

I inherited a nice large "Kennedy" machinist tool box with several thin drawers, Its a nice looking tool box that I am considering using as a knife display box. If I ever get another camera I'll post a couple photos of it.

Blueprint drawers are really sweet .. pricey too.

However .. if you're building .. might want to consider.

Workable plans here.

Thanks John! I would love to see pics!

Dale, the flat file cabinet is a "blue print" printers drawer. I wish I had the work shop to build my own. The one link took me to the pages I searched to find this cabinet. I appreciate your ideas!!!

Don,

I am liking this idea very much!  Please get some pics when you have it together, I think it is going to work out great! 

Thank you Jan!! I will post pics!!

Over the years I have taken several different approaches Don. I used to keep all of my knives in shoe boxes and then I decided to actually display them for people to see. I have several different display cases. I bought some of the display cases and made some. I recently decided to put the knives back into shoe boxes for the time being. I would also like to have a cabinet that I could keep them all in. I really like John's idea,because I am a machinist,by trade and love my Kennedy tool boxes. Probably my ideal display box would be an old Gerstner machinist tool box.

I see some very nice machinist boxes and rolling carts from Grizly. They are super expensive and I honestly have a lot of knives. I would need this cabinet and the top tool chest. My flat file cabinet was a hundred bucks.

Oak Cabinet.

http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(categoryid:159090)&page=1#

Not saying down the line to upgrade!!

Nice choice, my wife bought me several cases last year and they are working good but I had to build the rest. They can get expensive! Your display should hold a bunch of knives. Good choice!

Don

My wife got me Grizzly's H7713.

I'm extremely happy with it.

Not really enough room for a display .. wonderful tool box !!

I do recommend.

Note: Harbor Freight offers a comparable model .. 8 Drawer Wood Tool Chest.
It is about $50 less expensive & offers 2 more small drawers than the H7713.

However, I've a Harbor Freight "brick & morter" in town & have compared the 2.

Grizzly's product has a better build & finish.

imo .. It merits the additional 50 bucks .. imo

You're certainly better off building your own.

Don Schriver said:

I see some very nice machinist boxes and rolling carts from Grizzly.
I would love the wood SB1355 rolling chest and SB1251 from Grizzly for my top of the line S&M, Queen, Boker, Case and more. I'm hoping the flat file cabinet will even hold my large fixed blades. The small oak display case from my wife nicely hold maybe 50 knives but I am so far beyond that number. I will use it too! LOL I also picked up a small Jewelers chest with 1inch deep trays for when I run out of space. LOL
First test drawer done with my Schatt & Morgan Large Coke Bottle collection. I have a few more on the way so the knife layout will change.

I used a low temp hot glue gun to affix the fabric to the backing with some 1/2 foam as padding. The backing is just a piece of cardboard.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
11 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
12 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Apr 21
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service