Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Well after this summers extreme temperatures especially here in the Midwest and extreme or near extreme temps all over the US.

How likely is it we face food shortages next year?

Tags: drought, extreme, food, heat, shortages, summer

Views: 1051

Replies to This Discussion

I have been hearing a lot about this lately on many sites.  This is the best short term, get through the drought created price increase list I have seen

• Load up on fresh produce when you find a good deal. Then, freeze or can the extra to enjoy later
  • Stock up on cheese and butter when it goes on sale. It freezes beautifully
  • Meat prices are experiencing a temporary dip. Fill your freezer before the prices start to go up
  • Build up your supply of flour. Wheat flour can be frozen to extend its shelf life
  • Stock up on canned, dried and frozen fruits and veggies. The canned and frozen foods that are in stores now came from the 2011 harvest, so they're still cheaper for now
  • stock up on some canned evaporated milk.  It is great for cooking with

Most of this is an everyday way to save for us.  Usually I put up (freeze) my beans, peas, tomatoes and corn about this time of year.  I go to the Upick fields for what I can, the farmers market for the rest and freeze enough to get through the winter.  I do think anyone that has a root cellar and the ability to can their items should.  Less of problem in power losses.

That's one I did not think of Ron, saving seeds or buying more heirloom now. Great point!

Ron James said:

Coffee... I'm glad it will last for 15 years... Will be buying more of that too. 

I'm also buying more heirloom seeds for storage. One bad year can wipe out your seeds for planting.

Great list Jan, my wife is in complete agreement with you!

Jan Carter said:

I have been hearing a lot about this lately on many sites.  This is the best short term, get through the drought created price increase list I have seen

• Load up on fresh produce when you find a good deal. Then, freeze or can the extra to enjoy later
  • Stock up on cheese and butter when it goes on sale. It freezes beautifully
  • Meat prices are experiencing a temporary dip. Fill your freezer before the prices start to go up
  • Build up your supply of flour. Wheat flour can be frozen to extend its shelf life
  • Stock up on canned, dried and frozen fruits and veggies. The canned and frozen foods that are in stores now came from the 2011 harvest, so they're still cheaper for now
  • stock up on some canned evaporated milk.  It is great for cooking with

Most of this is an everyday way to save for us.  Usually I put up (freeze) my beans, peas, tomatoes and corn about this time of year.  I go to the Upick fields for what I can, the farmers market for the rest and freeze enough to get through the winter.  I do think anyone that has a root cellar and the ability to can their items should.  Less of problem in power losses.

Gardeners, take heart, I think a fall or winter garden might do well, so be prepared to plant alot. I eat venison and not much beef but there's alot of people that will have to pay higher prices for beef. Here in south Louisiana we are having alot of rain and all the crops look good. I know that will help but is not enough to head off the shortage.

Steve,

Yes, we can expect in the short term to see shortages, however as the price goes up there will be fewer people willing to buy, but more producers willing to enter the market.  At some point a new equilibrium for price and quantity will be reached.  The problem is, as the price increases some ranchers may be inticed to sell off more of their herd than they should while looking for short term profits.  If this happens we could see more shortages as the ranchers rebuild their herds.  The smart thing to do, whether agrobiz or mom and pop is to continue to sell the amount of beef that will allow them to maintain their herd at the maximum sustanable level.

We live in a global ecomony and I would expect the commodies traders to already be buying contracts for Brazilian and Argentinian beef and Chinese corn.  And once again, if it has to be inported the price will go up.

Sadly there are no free lunches.

Jim

Steve"Hog"Hanner said:

Jim, you are right on the money. Beef supply may well get thinner and that will result in higher prices. You wonder if it will result in shortages too.

James Cole said:

If we stop this stupid ethanol production we will have a lot more corn for cattle feed.   If you are concerned that the beef supply might dry up, it will more likely get thinner and more expensive.  

I hesitate to post this next for being seen as a commercial use of the site and Scott if you delete this I completly understand.   I'm a Thrive consultant and if you would like to check out some long term storage products go to; www.james.cole.shelfreliance.com/jamescole

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Jim

What NOT to store.

But, I think .. freezing precludes most of those precautions .. till the electricity dis-appears !!

Thanks Robert good to hear you have rain, even better,  you can hunt food. That's huge.

Robert Burris said:

Gardeners, take heart, I think a fall or winter garden might do well, so be prepared to plant alot. I eat venison and not much beef but there's alot of people that will have to pay higher prices for beef. Here in south Louisiana we are having alot of rain and all the crops look good. I know that will help but is not enough to head off the shortage.

That is a good list Dale did you see the third one down...who is eating petroleum jelly covered raw eggs! That does not even sound good lol!

Home Canned Butter, especially unsalted, canned butter. (Why - unsalted canned butter has NO protection from botulism, slated, home canned butter has no science-based process to can safely)
Petroleum jelly covered raw eggs. (Why - there is No protection from microbial contamination. This is a major foodborne illness risk)
Milled Grains (Whole wheat flour, Cornmeal, Cereal, Granola) (Why - quality deterioration)
Oily Grains or Seeds (Nuts, Brown rice, Pearled barley, Sesame seeds) (Why - quality deterioration)
Home canned Quick Breads (why - these foods are not safe for home canning)

D ale said:

What NOT to store.

But, I think .. freezing precludes most of those precautions .. till the electricity dis-appears !!

Talking about storage of food stuffs and water and such...How many people have a root cellar?

I have always used the garage for fruits but veggies didnt do well so I am considering a small root cellar for 

of garden surplus and emergency supplies Any thoughts about these????

I didn't realize how much venison I ate growing up (rural WI farming community) till I left home ... 'n returned. Recognized that tallow taste right off  .. 'n realized why we'd always had meat in the freezer .. far more than we butchered.  Love & miss you,  Dad !!!

Robert Burris said:

I eat venison and not much beef but there's alot of people that will have to pay higher prices for beef. 

Sue .. both my grandmother's had & used one.  Constant temp & humidity .. no electricity required. I wouldn't say maintenance free .. but durn close.

My maternal G'dma's was built into the side of a hill. My paternal G'dma's was a mound of dirt in the back yard. Both hand built by my G'dpa's .. were great for hide-n-seek .. worked pretty well for food storage too.

My personal thoughts ..  wish I had one .. well worth the initial investment !!! 

Steve"Hog"Hanner .. who is eating petroleum jelly covered raw eggs!  ..........  If I had to guess .. the same people eating those pickled pigs feet out of the gal jars on the bar top ... rural WI. i.e. That does sound BAD !!!

There's one great food type that ya'll are overlooking. It will last for thousands of years without alot of preparation. Honey, that's right good old "Honey". Very good and good for ya! D ale, some people don't like venison, some like it and some love it. I fall in the third catagory. I eat it,least twice a week. I prepare it alot of different ways but my favorite is smothered with onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic, with steamed rice. I'm a Cajun, I gotta have my "rice and gravy"...lol

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
19 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
21 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Apr 21
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service