Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

How about a thread of knives found at flea markets, estate sales, garage sale, or even pawn shops.

Only real world person to person transactions, no online purchases! 

You know an actual purchase where you actually got to touch and examine the knife before you bought it and were actually able to haggle in person over the price.

Here are two knives I landed for around $30, one is a Coleman "Collector Edition" fixed blade hunter with a burl wood maple handle and the other is a Swiss Buck Advantange.  Both came new, in the box.  I bought them at Swap-O-Rama in Alsip Illinois from a guy said he had been a distributor for Buck Knives for 13 years.  He told me the Coleman Collecotr's Edition was made in Buck's China Factory.  I don't know about that but it was sweet looking knife and razor sharp!

So what great deal did you find at flea market!

Views: 3752

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Syd,

I would love to watch the transformation!

I'll be sure to post some "after" photos when I get them cleaned up.

Jan Carter said:

Syd,

I would love to watch the transformation!

Well, it's Sunday, and what do I usually do on Sundays? That's right, I went knife pickin' at the local swap.

Slow day. The only knife I took home was this Colonial 3 1/4" jack knife in decent condition; paid $3 for it. It has white plastic handles, one-piece brass bolsters/loners, and stained but complete carbon blades. It looks identical in size, shape, and one-piece brass liners/bolsters to the all-metal advertising knives I pictured above, so I can now say I think those advertising knives were likely made by Colonial, (or at least they used an identical manufacturing process). Also picked up a "Smith's" sharpening stone in factory wooden box today, so it wasn't a bust, just "slow". I would venture a guess that this is a 1970's-80's knife.

Nice find Syd. 

I went to the Sawp-O-Rama in Alsip, Illinois yesterday and scored pretty good for a change.  I normally go there once or twice a summer but after yesterday, I think I'll need to revisit a little more often. 

As many of you know I collect four blade Camp/Scour Knives.  This nice little Utica was part of a package deal along with a few other knives. The person was asking for $5 but took less after I pointed out some of the defects in the knife.  In all seriousness  I think the $5 asking prices was fair but haggling is all part of the game!

Judging from the tang stamp  and the can opener,l I'd date the knife to the 1920s  Carbon blades, brass pins and liners, and Bakelite scales.  All blades are tight with no wobble.  The knife have very little rust. tip of the main blade is slightly rounded.

Thanks Tobias. It's starting to look like I snagged all the knives worth having at our little swap, the pickins are leaner & leaner lately. This was literally the only affordable slip joint in the place today. There were several knives with broken blades or missing parts, and a few Frost-type cheapie modern "snap shots". There were a couple of Imperial Scout-type knives in pretty bad shape, (loose, cracked handles, uber-rusty blades, loose pins, etc, etc), yet those sellers thought they had "something", and were asking stupid prices for them. By stupid I mean in excess of $25 for knives actually worth $5 or less. Kinda like those CCN knives at "genuine retail" prices; maybe for someone who didn't know any better, definitely NOT for me. Unless some new sellers start showing up, I think I've already picked all the good knives that our little swap has to offer, but like I always say, "you can't find if you don't go look", so I'll probably go out and look again next week.

I'm gonna have to start going out early on Saturdays to yard sales if I want to keep my streak going, this little swap ain't cuttin' it anymore.

Tobias Gibson said:

Nice find Syd. 

Syd,

That Colonial is not bad at all and it is great at that price!  Colonial was very prolific in making advertising knives for a good many companies so it would not surprise me at all

Tobias,

Like you I never find the good stuff at swaps and flea markets but maybe I also need to go more often and early, Syd seems to do good

Jan, wait'll you one of the other knives I scored!  I'll be posting it over in Fish Knives on Knife Pattern Collectors!

Here are a couple of recent finds from the "virtual" yard sale, (ie; online). First is a Camillus #77 mini Stockman in so so condition. What's cool about it though is it's size of 2 3/4", it's my smallest 3-bladed knife. Blades are a bit stained, but otherwise it is in decent condition. After cleaning it came out looking passable with reasonable snap on all blades, took an edge(s) well also. Perfect watch pocket size.

Second is a Camillus-made Buck 309, probably from the late 70's-early 80's, (SS spring). This one comes to me as a result of my ongoing quest for one of each Buck CC-made 300 series knives.

Both beautiful pieces Syd.  2 3/4 is a great size for pocket carry for me

Thanks Jan. I got these together as a "lot", and was really after the Buck not the Camillus, but after cleaning it up I realized just how cool the little CC knife was. Turned out to be a nice little bonus. I'm letting it soak in mineral oil right now to see if I can restore some of it's snap. It will go into my EDC rotation soon, so will the #309.

Jan Carter said:

Both beautiful pieces Syd.  2 3/4 is a great size for pocket carry for me

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by