Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Two of my employees called in sick today.  They are good folks and it happens.  I feel lucky to have them.  Ken, my VP, and David and I had to do our job and theirs today.  My day was 4:30 am to just now.  I don't even have the energy to pack up the laptop. 

Its not my intention to complain, but just to highlight that it is not an easy job.  We put out 42 knives per week.  It takes a lot of dedication to accomplish this from all 5 of us.  If we are lucky and the knives get made, then its on me to sell them.  That, once again is no feat, and the ebbs are frightening when others depend on you.

I never get asked to teach folks to make knives anymore.  The question is always the same.  "Can you teach me to be a full time knifemaker?"  I don't automatically say no.  Actually, I can.  I've had two apprentices that are full time and succeeding.  I have two now that work full time for me too and have the potential.  Two critical things have to happen though.  You have to make sexy knives, and you have to know how to manage a brand.  Then you have to have the final critical component, a wife with a good career that provides insurance. 

Without my wife, none of this would have happened. 

Stay sharp.

Views: 990

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It took me half a year banging ideas around the breakroom to come up with this sign.  I needed something cheap to make that would really POP.  It had to be lightweight and need no electricity.  I wanted it to be able to be seen from across the showfloor without having to search for it.  The parts aren't back yet, but when they are and it is tested I'll report back.  No further word on details until the booth setup day on Thursday before the show.

My chief worry for now is that it is just too much, or too heavy.  Either would be bad.

The parts to the sign are done, the hats are ordered, we also have bottle coozies, and pilsner glasses this year.  I have no idea if we'll have time for t-shirts.  There are 50 knives set aside already and another 40 to go.  Hope y'alls Blade Show preps are going good. 

The sign parts arrived and are very cool!  I'm getting excited!

Please post a picture, when it's finished. It sounds great.

Andrew, you really have great work ethics. I am sure your knives show it.

I worked as the Foreman of a large crew of technicians in the A/C, Electrical and Commercial Kitchen Equipment department. Every year I would take on a few youngsters as students in the trades. Some would come under a High School subject release and some would come and work during the summer, when school was out. Everyone has turned into top Technicians in their fields. They now have families and good jobs. This is one of the things I'm the proudest of in all my working years.

You say you are teaching young apprentices, that is so great. You will never forget this and they won't forget you either. Keep up the great work.  

By all means, let's see some pics.

Robert,  I currently have three budding knifemakers working for me in the shop.  They get to build their skills and make a little $ also.  Profiling, sanding shipping, glue up, etching the mark, drilling, and even some of the pre heat treat grinding are things they get a LOT of practice at.  Adam was the youngest knifemaker to ever get juried into the Ga Knifemakers Guild as a voting member.  He came up to me at last year's Blade Show and handed me a knife he'd made and asked if I needed any help.  Judy came to me out of design school and just wants to make knives.  She was the first lady knifemaker inducted into the Ga Knifemakers Guild.  Allen came aboard recently and is learning quickly.  I'm proud that they'll be at the table with me this year.  Please come by and meet us all.

I won't have the sign put together till next week, but pics will follow. 

Sounds great, Andrew. To teach things to the young people is such a great thing. I teach hunting and fishing and woodsman ship to them all the time. I can't wait to see some pictures. 

Its well intentioned, and it keeps me improving quickly (you learn a lot teaching something), but unfortunately for them I am no Master, and my puddle of depth is quickly absorbed.  They'll all be better knifemakers than me pretty quickly, and then I can't teach them much.  Luckily, they can still learn a lot about the business parts from me.  I'm kinda good at that part.

That woodsmanship course sounds neat.  What I'd like to learn is plant knowledge.  My grandad tought me a lot of the trees on the property when I was a kid.  And I've picked up a bit while earning my Eagle Scout, but its definitely a weak point in my outdoor skillset.  Then, I'd like to have some time to practice the woods stuff.  LOL. 

I have gotten older an my memory has gotten bad. I use to know most of all the trees and some bushes names in my area. Now I can only remember the names of some. I have a book on trees and plants somewhere. I guess I should read up on it too...lol

Andy,

I will send Donnie to help you hold it up if it is too heavy LOL!
Andrew Roy said:

It took me half a year banging ideas around the breakroom to come up with this sign.  I needed something cheap to make that would really POP.  It had to be lightweight and need no electricity.  I wanted it to be able to be seen from across the showfloor without having to search for it.  The parts aren't back yet, but when they are and it is tested I'll report back.  No further word on details until the booth setup day on Thursday before the show.

My chief worry for now is that it is just too much, or too heavy.  Either would be bad.

This has just been an amazing discussion.  One thing I like about every knifemaker I have ever spent time with is the willingness to teach.  Now we all know I should not be playing with power tools of ANY type or I would have jumped at the chance.  Donnie on the other hand continues to learn something at every show.  Bless those willing to teach, it helps keep our hobby and the skills alive.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
8 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
9 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service