Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Some of the other knives I like to collect are "Store Brands"  Most tend to come from hardware stores but there are plenty of them out there.   Many have a history to them.  Many of the used American made ones can be bought for dirt cheap and will provide you with years of additional service. Quite frankly if you're one of those people who insist on buying American and you're looking for a quality Electrician knife or hawkbill for an EDC, then a good used Klein Tool "USA" is just the ticket. (It'll run you around $10 or less (including shipping)!

Top to Bottom:

Hibbard Hawkbill (Hibbard, Spencer, & Bartlett Co. Chicago Illinois, they became True Value)

The handle is wood with brass liners.  The blade is carbon steel (1095?)

I'm not 100% certain but I think Hibbards were outsourced to Camillus or Ulster.

The next three are all 1960-80s era Klein Tools (also Chicago Il.)

All three have plastic handles with brass pins and liners,  Stainless blades and bails. ( The bottom may be carbon steel, not 100% certain)  The screwdrivers lock with a brass liner lock.

A hawkbill electrician, a Spear master Electrician, and small one blade rope knife.   While Klein makes numerous tools, their pocket knives were outsourced, often being made by Ulster, Camillus, and Utica and numeous other New York cutlery companies.  I think they are now made in China but I'm not 100% certain.

Views: 1312

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Tobias, I have a few specialities that I like to collect, but if a knife seems to jump out at me, I just gotta have it, no matter what it is.

I have a Klein Tools 3 blade with a screwdriver, a hawkbill and a spear point. It does have a bail and what looks to be plastic handles made to look like wood.  I will try and take a picture tomorrow. Tobias I would say mine is close to the second one you show in your picture(except my handle is darker) and if in fact that is a three blade. Two of the blades are clearly marked Klein Tools. 

That's a nice knife, I like the Klein tools knives.

And here is my photo of it before any blade buffing. I did oil the joints so it does open and snap closed much better!

Steve Hanner said:

Here is a stock photo of it:

Steve, look forward to seeing it after you get it cleaned up. I think Klein makes great knives.

looks cold out there!

Nice Klein!

Shapleigh Hdwe.

Awesome knives Brad

I think those were the original Diamond Edge brand!  Very cool, Brad

Like that Craftsman knife. I have always liked their tools. As a mechanic and electrician they have always performed well for me.

Ken Spielvogel said:

Sears Craftsman

I have this Shapleigh Hardware fish knife.

Brad T. said:

I am of the Shapleigh & John Primble hardware camp myself. I like the blade swedging of these older knives plus the Shapleigh tang stamp is in my mind the best one in their era.

I  have a few Craftsman and Klein knives around here somewhere; looking for photos. Of course Case, Buck, Gerber, Bear & Son, etc, are still to be found in "local" hardware stores, (those few that remain), but  true hardware "store brands" are a vanishing breed. I think a "brand" that used to be available in ACE stores is "Coast", but the ones I have are imports so I wouldn't include them in a list of vintage US hardware store brands. All I have seen at the local two Ace stores around here recently have been non "store brands".

In the meantime here's a Belknap Hardware  Primble Jack, (made by Boker late '60's).  Love the sword grind on the master blade of this knife, but it is totally flat on the pile side, (which makes it a bear to sharpen).

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service