Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I bought these to knives at auction. I have no idea what they are worth. I guy at the auction said they were very rare. Based on how little information I can find he may be right.

Views: 750

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike- Apparently IT DOES get better !!-Kevin Davey just joined IKC today !! Thanks to you, we not only have you as a member, but this great  blade smith as well!!

Wow that is great. I just hope he starts making knives again. I'm keeping the hunting knife for my collection but have to sell the other. I went way overboard at auctions this week on a couple rifles. Wish I could jeep both.

John McCain said:

Mike- Apparently IT DOES get better !!-Kevin Davey just joined IKC today !! Thanks to you, we not only have you as a member, but this great  blade smith as well!!

Ideas on what you might sell it for?

Jan I listed it on eBay. Tried to remove it but they said they will charge me full auction price. I thought I could end it before anyone bid. I apologize I should have asked you guys first.

Mike Fitzgerald said:
Wow that is great. I just hope he starts making knives again. I'm keeping the hunting knife for my collection but have to sell the other. I went way overboard at auctions this week on a couple rifles. Wish I could jeep both.

John McCain said:

Good evening everyone.

These knives were made by me during my early days in Florida, maybe around 2003. 

I started knife making in 2002 so these were very early examples of what I was making back then. They are forged from 1095 carbon steel. I was experimenting casting pewter bolsters into handles as I had seen an example on a 19th century patch knife and thought I would try something similar. 

Over an 8 year span I probably made about 400 knives but I would guess maybe only about 60 or so made it out of my workshop to private users and collectors. The rest I tested to destruction, trashed or buried somewhere. The more I learnt about knife making the more I wanted to know. It becomes addictive. 

During the last few years I had an obsession with 52100 carbon steel and spent a year behind my workshop doors experimenting with different heat treatments. Not much left my workshop because I tested most things I made to destruction. The knives that did leave my workshop that period were probably there best knives I have made.

In 2010 due to work commitments and lack of space, I stopped knife making and turned my attention to the art of mokume.

Maybe one day I will start making knives again.

The knives that are the subject of this board were early products of my knife making. They are rather crude examples of what I was making and were never intended to leave my workshop. The truth is that when I moved house to NC I had a box full of early knives that had somehow missed that big knife graveyard where all my other knives are buried. I had no where to bury them so took them to the local waste disposal/recycling center and they ended up in the scrap metal dumpster! They somehow managed to escape and live on. I am happy that someone finds enjoyment in them and accepts them for what they are.

If no one minds, I will post a few pictures of my later work.

Kind regards.

Kevin Davey

aka Coutel.

Kevin we would love to see more of your work!  I for one am very happy that these escaped!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
23 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
yesterday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
Friday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Apr 22

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Apr 21
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service