Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

We all have survival instincts….some more than others.  I would like to hear from my fellow iKC members what two edged tools and or weapons you would choose to face the unthinkable, say on December 22nd, 2012.  The problem presented is you are limited on what you can carry to survive.  Your situation is as follows:

You are on the move with family and or friends.  You have vehicle transportation but everyone knows the gasoline will run out.  So it is a real possibility you will be packing everything you need on your back.

You are presently in the Kansas City metropolitan area and have plans to migrate to a safer area near Fredericksburg Texas where your Uncle has a 160 acre farm.  Your two vehicle caravan has enough gasoline to make it to around the northern Oklahoma boarder if you drive down I-35.  I-35 is known to be dangerous so you may want to take the back roads foraging for supplies and gasoline.

What two edged tools or weapons would you take?  Now justify your choices?

It is given you will take a firearm or firearms, supplies and trading material.  To our European family….it was a bad time to visit us in Kansas City and your along for the ride.  Your in the USA so you have everything, big and small, all at your fingertips.  Also, people in Fredericksburg speak lower German so you may be able to communicate with them without English.

This will be fun.  No Jan you and your lesser half can not take all those very nice collectable knives. LOL!

Views: 727

Replies to This Discussion

Hey James cool looking weapons.  Cleaning small game and fish will be a trick.  We could put you in charge at harvest time and if need be, close quarter combat.

JAMES IVY said:

Clint,

I will choose the two a-2 tools that I made. The rest will not hold up over time bottom line.

James

Very nice James.

JAMES IVY said:

That Smashet will clean deer and other animals and can also be used for caping and skinning if used properly. Some tools are only limited by the lack of the skills to use them by their owners. Mine are done in k&g gun coat that can withstand 5000 hours in salt water without rusting, and the handles are sand blasted micarta so when wet or bloody you still have a perfect no slip grip!

Clint,

CORRECTION...Donnie was out of town when I wrote that.  Like a typical wife I just chose for him.  I chose wrong :(.  Put back the #45 and add in the CRKT.  He says it is lighter, doesnt need sharpening alot and holds up well

Great knives Pat.

Pat ChoKo said:

My choices, per usual. They haven't failed me yet!

Jan....

LOL!  My wife would not have a clue what I was talking about and what to chose for me.  Donnie chose well.  It is a cheaper knife but will work better as a working knife.  Tell Donnie I said HI!

Jan Carter said:

Clint,

CORRECTION...Donnie was out of town when I wrote that.  Like a typical wife I just chose for him.  I chose wrong :(.  Put back the #45 and add in the CRKT.  He says it is lighter, doesnt need sharpening alot and holds up well

i also like those knifes pat but i would have to hide a sog on me...

Clint Thompson said:

Great knives Pat.

Pat ChoKo said:

FOWL! No hiding SOG's.  But I don't blame you Stephen.

stephen tungate said:

Clint Thompson said:

Great knives Pat.

Pat ChoKo said:

Yeah, there's always a SOGgy "knife knut" who thinks SOGs should be given special treatment!  ;)

Clint Thompson said:

stephen tungate said:

Clint Thompson said:

Great knives Pat.

Pat ChoKo said:

Sorry, but I don’t know who I would take as this is your scenario not mine…I wouldn’t be in this predicament since I’m already on my own self sustained farm, only things we pay for are phone and cable—We even sell our excess electricity to the Hydro Company from the solar panels and wind turbines…Our bug out for whatever reason—Prairie Fire—consists of three vehicles, 1 SUV, w/utility trailer, 1 ¾ ton truck with a goose neck RV trailer and a station wagon since there’s eight of us under our roof. 

You set the parameters and I can’t even play since I carry on me at ALL times a Boker Dlx Scout knife in the front left pocket (40+ years), some sort of classic folder in the right, a metal eating (sharp knife, spoon and fork) set in the left rear pocket—I refuse to eat with plastic utensils, a 4” single blade folding hunter in a sheath on the left hip next to a sheathed multi-tool and a 5” fixed blade on my right hip for work and a 3½” one for going to the city. 

Also, when I’m out guiding I carry a full backpack (about 50 lbs) and that has a machete or kukhri on one side, a cruiser axe on the other, a folding saw along with either two filleting knives or a caper and skinner depending on the season in the pocket. 

I still am stymied by this two vehicle thing?  Who’s the second driver and are they allowed to carry their two instruments as well?  Also, why the Hell would you even drive the second vehicle—stick it on a trailer or get a tow bar or make one yourself with some rope and a couple of 4x4 fence posts…Why waste the gas if you know you’ll not be able to make it there on one tank…Can you carry 5 gallon metal fuel cans?  Car one runs out, unhitch car two (where all you stuff is stored) and drive the rest of the way. ..Twelve of you going then three cars of four people each towing another...Get walkie-talkies (and extra batteries) to keep in contact at all times.

As to the carts, they go a mile and a half cross country quite well with five hay bales and then back for up to twenty four more loads to get mulch cover for our four acre truck garden and have every year for the past twenty or so and while I can’t make 4 miles (average walking speed) an hour on pavement I certainly can make 3¾ MPH…Travelling cross country offers the same if not greater danger to your travellers as you’re now dealing with the locals who have the home field advantage knowing where you can and can’t go. 

As to stealing, get over the morality aspect of it and it’s my group or yours and sorry me boyo, mine takes precedence—always!  Do you not think that there will be thousands of abandoned vehicles on the road some with full tanks and some empty?  You can take—sorry that’s steal since it doesn’t belong to me and I haven’t asked permission—spare parts as needed for your vehicles and a rubber garden hose, two pails and a funnel is all you need to steal gas from the other vehicle if you’re not allowing gas cans in this scenario...Do you really think I'd give a rodent's anus if the owner minded when he got back to his "abandoned" vehicle. 

If all the stuff is there already then I’m fine with what I carry daily in the pack. 

But I still ask:

Please define the parameters a little better--is this just two edged tools for the group or for each member of the group? Your words. a group of six to twelve with just TWO cutting tools for the whole group--utter stupidity...Also, it's my uncles farm according to your first posting and it's family and/or friends...My family only unless the friends have talents needed by the commune--mechanic, carpenter, physician, veternarian oterwise to Hell with them as you can always make new friends. 

Terry....

How true.  I have a new SOG auto which will be in an article I am writing.  The article is about the five best law enforcement duty knives for 2012.  I have a couple ahead of this one but it should be out late summer. 

This SOG Auto (Spec-Elite II Auto) is the knife I am writing about.  The Spec-Elite II and Spec-Elite I are vastly better than their older line of autos.  I was so happy to see SOG move forward on this one.

I have had many SOG knives but I give them to our Nation's heroes so they can enjoy and use them while keeping us safe.  I still have a few and will no doubt have more down the road.

Clint

Terry Waldele said:

Yeah, there's always a SOGgy "knife knut" who thinks SOGs should be given special treatment!  ;)

Clint Thompson said:

stephen tungate said:

Clint Thompson said:

Great knives Pat.

Pat ChoKo said:

Shlomo...

It is good you have your own farm.  If I were you I would stay there on the farm where you are familiar with the topography and neighbors.  Cooperation and forming like minded people into groups working for the whole's good.

However, the scenario was including our family (members) who live outside of the USA.  The scenario said, "To our European family….it was a bad time to visit us in Kansas City and your along for the ride.  Your in the USA so you have everything, big and small, all at your fingertips.  Also, people in Fredericksburg speak lower German so you may be able to communicate with them without English."

I just didn't want you to think, you and our family in Europe and elsewhere, was not being included in this fun exercise.  I can see you have a plan for you and your family there.  Thanks.

Clint

Clint,

I'll be looking forward to reading your articles.  BTW, giving your SOG knives to our Nation's heroes is really generous of you, and I'm sure the recipients treasure them and are grateful for such an iconic sign of respect.  I gave my nephew a SOG knife when he was deployed to Iraq, and he was very pleased to get it.  In fact, he said it was a great choice because so many of the troops carry them.  He's back home now and is an instructor at Camp Pendleton.  Personally, I have only one SOG knife, a small pocket knife, but would love to be able to afford a SOG Recon.  Now, that's a KNIFE!  I would also love to have SOG Bowie, so much so that I made my own version of that knife and a special sheath for it.  Here's a picture of it.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
14 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
19 hours ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
22 hours ago
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20
J.J. Smith III replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service