Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Are you addicted to flashlights? Or just want to know what we mean when we say lumins cells and bezels. then join this group now!

Tags: Flashlight, forum

Views: 4454

Replies to This Discussion

Reply by Steve Hanner on April 13, 2013 

It looks nice Ron, small and very portable. What is that an A or AA battery? and rechargeable I guess too?

Reply by Ron Cooper on April 13, 2013

Steve, it's neither. That torch takes an 18650 lithium ion battery. And, yes, at $20 a piece the batteries are indeed rechargeable. Lithium ion batteries are a completely different chemistry than the nickel cadium batteries that most folks are familiar with.

Below are two photographs that make size comparisons between an 18650 a AA and a AAA battery...

Size wise, as you can see, there's really no comparison between the nickel cadium AA or AAA batteries on the right and the 18650 Lithium ion battery on the left. And, 18650 is actually a size designation. It refers to the fact that the battery is 18mm in diameter, as indicated by the first two numbers. 65mm in length, as indicated by the next two numbers. The final number is a zero and it indicates that, like the number 0, this battery is round in shape. Ergo it's 18650 size designation!

But the size is not the only difference. Output of power -- That's the real difference!

When coupled with a state of the art LED emitter -- such as the one used in a ZebraLight SC600 Mk I or II -- you get an exceptionally bright and powerful source of light. As I indicated in my initial posting, it's like having the "power of the Sun in the palm of you hand," literally!

Cheers, my friend! If you or anyone else has any further questions, I would be more than happy to try and answer them for you.

Ron

Reply by Ron Cooper on April 25, 2013

I thought that I should do an update on my initial posting since I have completely deviated from my original order which is the title and subject of this thread.

On Friday of last week, April 19th, I grew impatient of waiting for the new ZebraLight SC600 Mk II. The Company, ZebraLight, said it might be another month before stock becomes available. So I cancelled my order with ZL and then ordered a torch that I had wanted for quite some time -- The Armytek Predator v.2.0 XP-G2. Their website said that they had this light IN STOCK. So I placed my order late on Friday afternoon. It shipped from Foshan, China on Monday morning via FedEx and the shipping was free, compliments of Armytek. A mere 48 hours later and this flashlight was delivered to me yesterday morning at 10am. I am blown away by how fast this flashlight was delivered to me! But I am even more blown away by the performance of this new light. Also reaching my home yesterday morning were the two new Orbtronic Protected 18650 3100mAh Li-ion Batteries. I put a full charge on my new batteries and took my new light out for a test drive last night. There is only one word to describe the performance of this light. And that word is, WOW! This is a tactical military grade flashlight that is specifically designed to produce a concentrated beam of light that exceeds 400 meters. It is also fully program-able and allows for the customization of several different modes of operation. When ordering my new Predator I opted for the Gold Crenelated Bezel and Tail-cap trim. It also came with a Gold Pocket clip and a Lanyard, which I have yet to use. Since this is not a review, but rather just an update to my original posting, let me just show you some pictures I took late last night to give you the reader a better idea of what I'm talking about. See pics below...

The Armytek Predator flashlight with the Spyderco Titanium Military knife (above)

Armytek Predator (Top) and Zebralight SC600 Mk I flashlights (Above)

Armytek Predator flashlight sandwiched between two Spyderco Military knives ~ G10 & Titanium (Above)

Armytek Predator nestled among some Spyderco knives ~ Two Military's & a Paramilitary 2 (Above)

That's the update to my original post. And I suspect that this new light deserves a thread all of its own. In the days to come, as I learn to program the Predator, I will keep you all informed of how this light performs in real world situations. Thus far, based upon my test drive last night, my initial impressions are all good. Stay tuned...

Cheers!

incandesant VS LED

Posted by Manville D. Smith X on July 30, 2009

start THE WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INCANDESCENTS RULE!!!!!!!!!

Reply by Dave White on July 30, 2009 

I disagree friend, today's LEDs give us better battery life, whiter light, and run at lower voltages, and temperatures. AND smaller packages, with less weight, and "cleaner" light. Haven't heard of one "burning out" yet.....I'm tired of buying CR 123's, but AA's are a bargain, comparatively.

Reply by Frazer on July 30, 2009

Oh man I couldn't disagree more! Back when I worked security I went through a couple packs of batteries each week on my incandescent mag lite not to mention all the bulbs that had to be replaced when the light got knocked around! Once I bought the LED upgrade kit I was hooked. I could get a month out of a single set of batteries and I could use the mag lite as a hammer without fraying up the bulb. (not that I would do that...)

Since then I've discovered better flashlights than Mag lite that are smaller and pack a bigger punch while giving me a smaller package. Flashlight brands like Fenix, Surefire and Streamlight make great small lights that last about as long as my incandescent 3D cell mag lite and run on one or two much smaller batteries. I've got a Streamlight Scorpion (Gift from someone who had no clue) and I've also got the Scorpion LED. Let me tell you that Scorpion LED with C4 technology kicks any mag lite's butt! The thing is brighter than a 3 D cell LED mag lite! Plus it gets about the same battery life as a incandescent 3 D cell mag.

I've found flashlights like the Fenix L1D to be great for all tasks and it runs on a AA battery, much cheaper than a boat load of D batteries and brighter.

I think LED is the only way to go now. Depending on your need you can get them in varieties that last really long or are really bright and in some cases both!!! An example is in my BOB I've got an inexpensive LED flashlight from Wally Mart that lasts about 30 hours on one set of batteries but isn't overly bright so it is good because it's efficient. Then I've got my ubber bright LED Scorpion and to match it all out I have my streamlight stylus pro that runs for ever (still on the original set of batteries from when I bought it this past winter) that is plenty bright as well.

Here is a problem with high output incandescent flash lights, if they get accidentally turned on in a bag or something they can cause a mess. At work one day I just tossed my incandescent scorpion into my bag and closed the lid not knowing it had actuated the tail cap switch....on my way home I smelled something burning from the trunk of my car. I pulled over and checked the trunk and my bag was literally on fire, the Scorpion got so hot in that 2 hours or so since I dropped it in the bag it caught my notebooks on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply by Frazer on July 30, 2009 

I agree those CR123s are a pain in the neck to buy. I get mine from Surefire.com. It works out to about $1.75 per battery. Ironically I bought my streamlights when I worked security before I found out about Fenix lights like the L1D etc.

Reply by Dave White on July 31, 2009

Wanted to add a comment about my AA batteries: Have been using Nimh rechargeables in my lights, and most, like the Fenix and ITP's are rated at a better output with them. (than alkaline) After the initial investment of batteries and charger, it's only pennies to "re-new" them, and I'm not generating trash.

Reply by Manville D. Smith X on August 1, 2009

i have a l1d 1 AA 120 lumins but my 6p my standard which all other edc and tactical flashlights should be judged i prefer the incandescent from surefire there cheaper and i can get lamps if i want led like my 280 lumin cree q5

Reply by Manville D. Smith X on August 1, 2009

well my 6p and 9p are incandecant and i have a cree q5 for battery life and 280 lumins man!!!!!

Reply by Richard Reed on August 30, 2009

i use rechargable CR 123's /rcr123a take less than 25 min to charge it fully , i can also charge them in my car with a special cord .

Reply by Andy Voelkle "AxeMan" on February 21, 2010 

Does the CREE bulb in a typical 3W Maglite have a constant current circuit inside the bulb??

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service