Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Suggested readin' - CARVING PEACH PITS by R.V. Dietrich.

We've also agreed to host the "Whittling and Woodcarving" group here also.  Discussions from June 20th-June 29th are from that group.

Views: 3298

Replies to This Discussion

Tongue-in-cheek take on common carving tools and materials.

#1  CA glue: To glue your thumb to the piece of wood you are trying to replace back to the carving. Also serves to glue cut skin back together and glue your thumb to the cut.

#2  Bandaids: To cover the CA glue you use to glue together a cut and keep your thumb out of the glue. Also works to hold gauze against the glue long enough to adhere it to the cut.

#3  Acetone: To un-glue fingers stuck together, or to remove the gauze stuck inside a cut. WARNING: Feels like molten lava inside said cut.

#4  Carving Glove: To make your spouse feel better when you start carving. Also gives your spouse a distraction from the blood while he or she is driving you to the emergency room for stitches.

#5  Thumbguard: A prosthetic callous for your thumb that you removed with surgical precision with your last knife cut. If the last cut was deep enough to require a CA glue patch, a permanent prosthetic callous for said thumb.

I’d think that the thumb off of a leather “safety” glove might work well. They’re just as thick… Just cut off a finger and slip it over your thumb. (And you get 8-10 protectors, depending on the size of your thumb.)

Ace Hardware sells them for $8.99, for 2 pair.

Oh, about the thimble idea;

Checked in with Google. Found a couple of discussions on the subject;

One brought out the fact about damaging the blade edge on the metal thimble.

(didn’t think of that)
I like the safety glove idea...Perfect
About the only differemce is the bought thumb guard has an elastic back...
I'll use electrical tape to hold it in place
That'll work.

My "Dark Mistress" calls to me.

She keeps me awake at night.

She wants to be carressed.

She wants to be used, (but not abused).

AND she likes Peach Pits.

that sure is a good looking knife there jj...

Thanks Stephen.

Haven't carved any monkeys with it, YET,  but I did a few different styled baskets, to show Jan.

Trying to goad Jan into getting her "Pink Lady" out and getting the peach pits off her kitchen window sill and have a go at carving.

Carved these as an addition to the basket that I showed last time.

This is one like I said that could be finished before smoothing.  I left it rough except for around the handle.

Here's the style that my wife likes best.  Smoothed down A LOT.  Still has some character, but it's much smoother than the first.

This last one is the style that first got me started.  My wife's Grandfather had carved her one like it.

It's carved upside down from the others to allow enough pit for a solid bottom. 

Lots of women like these sitting baskets for their Knick-Knack shelves.

very good job jj i  like them all. but the second one is pretty cool to me .maybe if you could carved a flat piece for the bottom of the second one and glued it to the bottom it would stand up on a shelf.but i'm sure you already thought of that. you do great work sir...

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
10 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
16 hours ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
19 hours ago
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20
J.J. Smith III replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service