Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Suggested readin' - CARVING PEACH PITS by R.V. Dietrich.

We've also agreed to host the "Whittling and Woodcarving" group here also.  Discussions from June 20th-June 29th are from that group.

Views: 3298

Replies to This Discussion

Thank's Stephen.  I'll have to work one up.

I am working on getting the time JJ.  Seems I will have to do it at night when Donnie is here.  He is pretty sure he will have to glue a thumb back on

Hey Stephen,

Is this something like you had in mind?

that is it jj. that way you can wear it or set it on a shelf  that's a great job sir....jan they have chain male gloves that you wear with a suite of amour i think that will protect you the first time or just use the whole suite of amour and take a little off the better you get carving....ha ha ha 

Guess I need to show Jan how to do a hat pin foe Donnie's hat.

Jan check the Sporting goods stores in your area for fish cleaning gloves made of kevlar. We had these when I was splicing telephone cables.

Gerald I will.  Time to get started on one.  If no work this weekend, peachseeds it is

I have a general rule that I only carve , on the porch, when the temprature is between 50 and 90 degrees, so  I was beginning to look forward to cold weather forcing me indoors for the winter. 

The Mrs. had other ideas for this winter.  She went and ordered a dozen spools of paracord so that I can make things inside.

All this because she wanted a red and green bracelet for Christmas.

Still have to carve the buttons...

LOL, that sounds like fun JJ.  No wasting time on her shift is there?

That's for sure. 

She just dropped off an envelope full of new patterns for paracord stuff.  Guess she don't want me to get in a rut.

(Now I really need my carvin shed).

Delete
Cut a chunk from new willow trimmings. The appropriate length is dependent upon the width/dia ...and... skill. Cut a big chunk right off the bat .. makes that first "do over" look.almost.natural. 

The left end is beginning to take shape. Note the curved cut for the mouthpiece.

The blade on the whistle to be shows where the bark is "ringed". Cut through just the bark.

Tapping (close the knife blade & use the butt end of the knife) on the portion of the bark you wish to remove loosens it. Hammering on it breaks it .. the bark.

Begin with a branch/cutting of willow .. weeping willow cut in the spring shortly after the sap begins to flow .. preferred.

This pic shows the bark just beginning to slide off & be removed .. note the gap to the left of the blade.

The bark is almost fully removed. Slide it off carefully.

The bark has been successfully removed.

First thing to do once the bark has been successfully removed, re-installed, 'n aligned .. is to cut the notch.

Pic is with the notch just cut .. top view.  H2O helps .. keep everything moist !!!
Notch just cut .. side view.

Shows beginning of resonant cavity. This step where you’re forming the resonant cavity .. take it easy .. it is real easy to cut right through to the under-cut for the lower lip. Real easy !!!
Excercise caution when forming the resonant cavity !!!
Be careful .. a series of smaller cuts .. be careful not to cut all the way through !!!

The resonant cavity is finished ..now.. the addition of the flat cut for the airway .. 'n take that one easy too .. things are just getting fragile by this point .. not a lot of meat/wood left in some areas. 

... try to get the flat of the flat  parallel with the btm of the resonant cavity .. it wks better that way.

Also, the length of the resonent cavity has a direct influence on the resulting pitch. You need to simply make a few to get the hang of it.

Begin re-assembly.  Keep everything wet .. the stick.bark.all of it.
Trim the end off square. Sorry .. poor depth of field in the macro mode.

Blade grinds on the primary.
Posted by D ale on June 17, 2011 at 2:31 in Whittling / Carving knives

Something I’ve noted (perhaps, imagined) with split back whittlers and the passing of time. The grind on the primaries used to retain more of the stout thickness inherent in the design.

That btm one is a Waterville.  It’s a saber spear blade grind .. and it is stout.

The Schrade in the middle was mid~late 40’s production. It’s a std spear blade grind. You still cannot tell where the tang stops & the blade grind begins .. top view anyway.

The top one is Queens current production #48. It has a clip blade grind .. no problem telling where the tang stops & the blade grind begins on that one !!! 

I don’t get it .. have the primary be 2~3 times as thick (robust) as the secondary’s .. by design !!!

Then purposely grind it down to the flimsier thickness of the secondary’s .. right after the tang ?? 

Is this something you folks also see in your whittlers ???

What about the Warncliffe blade grind ???

The tang thickness is more to facilitate adding clearance for the secondary blades to nest and also give a  resting place for the two secondary blade springs. Back in the day, the factories where not as concerned about blades rubbing each other. On customs and higher end knives today most buyers expect no blade rub. I think that is why the Queen has more "drop" in the grind

Ken,

Thanks, that makes sense

I know what you mean about the clearance issues .. but check it out .. there aren't any !!!!

That Waterville on the btm is 100 yrs old and there's no wear to indicate the blades have been touching .. tolerances are tight on that one !!!

One can begin to see more clearance between the blades on the  Schrade in the middle.

That Queen should never have one blade touch another .. it just seems excessive clearance @ the loss of blade strength on the primary ?!?!?

I guess my question is ..... Given the fact that a whittler ..by design.. requires the primary to be ~ twice as thick as either secondary .. why waste any more of that added sturdiness addressing clearance issues than absolutely neccesary ???

Is the increased tolerance to more readily facilitate mass production .. perhaps ???
Permalink Reply by J.J. Smith III on June 20, 2011 at 17:22

Clearence on my Bulldog Viking is somewhat tight.  The blades are the same size as on the Thor, in a smaller frame.  The Wharncliffe spine will push the secondaries out, at the end, if they aren't closed carefully.

Ken,

I understand exactly what you are saying and it makes sense to me but in looking at your knives last week I dont remember the gaps being as prominant as we are seeing here.  So I wonder if Dales question is very valid

Is the increased tolerance to more readily facilitate mass productions...perhaps???

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
9 minutes ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
15 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
21 hours ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20
J.J. Smith III replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service