Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Custom Sheaths? This is your group! Discuss techniques, supplies, tools and more! Tips and tricks, etc.

Tags: Kydex, forum, sheath

Views: 785

Replies to This Discussion

Comment by Frazer on July 16, 2009

Yeah I'm in Niagara Falls, I think Eric is from farther north...all I really know is that it wont cost me an arm and a leg to get him a knife to make the sheath nor will it have the border crossing issue. I've found to be a problem with knives and customs agents being a**holes. I'm not so sure I could make one with success right off the bat, maybe after some practice. I was actually thinking of getting one of Eric's Endura 4 Wave fast draw sheaths...unfortunately his site says he doesn't have any of the belt carry ones right now... I doubt I'd be able to make one of those...

I went on a hiking trip and one of my buddy's friends had a really cool sheath for his Svord Bowie knife from Eric. I think it was custom. that is how I found out about him.

Comment by Jeff Lilja on July 16, 2009

Frazer, I had a sheath made by him {eric}within 2 months. I believe you can make them with great success . I would use what I've seen and modify them. For starters I'd have a drain hole in bottom. You must also be from Canada? Take care-Gooseflute7

Comment by Frazer on July 16, 2009

There is a guy not to far from me who makes custom kydex sheaths...his website is http://onscenetactical.com/ I'm thinking of having him make me some stuff!

Comment by Gritter Trash on May 27, 2009

Jeff, I haven't messed with concealex yet. I have heard it's very similar, just with a "prettier" finish, that can scratch easier. I went with kydex, because it's more durable (finish).

I'm sure there are other places, but I only have experience with knifekits.com. I have had good luck with .060 Kydex, for the smaller stuff.

It's so relatively easy to do our own sheaths, minimal tools needed... I just hand sanded mine to finish, since I don't have a buffing wheel. I only have an angle grinder as well, for the shaping... I also used a heat gun, instead of a toaster oven - like 10 bucks from Harbor Freight Tools. Either way, is good, I'm sure.

Even if you "mess-up", you can re-heat it and re-do it, so there's really no risks to worry about while learning.

Good luck and please post pics when you finish making some!

Comment by Jeff Lilja on May 27, 2009 

Ok Gritter Trash, your opinion Kydex or Concealex? I am just learning how to form/manufacture Sheaths. After contacting the people at Kydex they recommended the .80 Kydex for the sheaths I want to make. Any tips or suppliers than Knifekits.com ? I am waiting for my Rtak2 to get back from Ontario {on scene tactical }, as I had him make a sheath for me. From here on out , I hope to make my own.

I've made a number of Kydex sheaths for my Beckers, Moras/Frosts, Hultafors, Helle, etc. axe mounts, Some taco style, some pancake, Pictured here is my typical Becker sheath with Tek-Lok mounts. This one is on my duty belt at 45 degrees for right-hand cross draw.

That is a fine sheath Clay!  Good to see you

This design allows  mounting ,at any angle, on left or right, with knife turned either way. There is a second Tek-Lok centered to the blade for horizontal mount as well.
Clay Strong said:

I've made a number of Kydex sheaths for my Beckers, Moras/Frosts, Hultafors, Helle, etc. axe mounts, Some taco style, some pancake, Pictured here is my typical Becker sheath with Tek-Lok mounts. This one is on my duty belt at 45 degrees for right-hand cross draw.

These photos are of a Kydex axe mount incorporating a loop from an old hammer loop belt mount. 

Clay Strong said:

This design allows  mounting ,at any angle, on left or right, with knife turned either way. There is a second Tek-Lok centered to the blade for horizontal mount as well.
Clay Strong said:

Clay,

i LOVE the axe mount!

Thanks, Jan. The idea was to prevent the axe from swinging around, yet be quickly drawn, Kydex and similar products are nice to work with. These products are all around us in vehicles, appliances, electronics, you name it. Much of the material sold to knife sheath makers is the scrap/excess from huge sheets used to make things like bumpers, trim, and dashboards of vehicles and aircraft, using complicated molds and dies. There are many grades, colors, finishes, and thicknesses available. The hardware can be a hassle due to the thicknesses that may be combined and the many requirements that arise in a sheath, I have an inventory of about 80 different fasteners, screw, nuts, bolts, washers, snaps, and eyelets, of various lengths, threads, and diameters. Then there is the need to have a variety of different sheet materials available. Much can be done with common tools. Or, a person can spend a small fortune for the specialized tools to make it easier or more precise. Either way, the end result can meet the need just fine, no matter how rough it may look.
Jan Carter said:

Clay,

i LOVE the ax e mount!

One of these days, have to try to make one...until then I buy!

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
2 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
4 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
19 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service