Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

This group is for those that collect that great little pattern the Moose. All knife brands are welcome! So lets get Loose and Collect some Moose....patterns. Please post pictures if you can and tell us about them.

Tags: moose-pattern-knives

Views: 1604

Replies to This Discussion

Reply by Robert Burris on March 10, 2012 at 20:33

Darn Billy, I never seem to find them. That's a good one, I think they are starting to make them Moose regular now.

Reply by johnny twoshoes on March 16, 2012 at 7:06

I have an old beat up Case with green bone scales, I will try to get some pics today.

He is a sad old soul, but he has a good story.

Reply by Jan Carter on March 16, 2012 at 17:39

Great Johnny Thanks.  Love a knife with a good story and i know Robert will enjoy seeing the old guy

eply by Jan Carter on March 16, 2012 at 17:40

Robert,

NEW TODAY>>>>

Reply by johnny twoshoes on March 16, 2012 at 17:45

Here is the old guy, I will share the story later on.

Reply by Jan Carter on March 17, 2012 at 15:32

Johnny,

That is one handsome Moose.  I am certain that he has the most amazing story

Reply by Robert Burris on March 18, 2012 at 15:58

Miss Jan, I wonder what handle materials they are gonna use on this run of 66 moose knives? They came out of the blue with that one. I thought they had move on from the 66's they were making. They started making large folders again, I'm sure there is a good base of collectors that go after the big ones.

Reply by Robert Burris on March 18, 2012 at 16:03

Hey Johnny, that's a great old knife. If they could just tell their story. Like, what was all the cutting chores they performed to have that much ware. Thanks for posting I enjoy seeing an old knife, for sure a old moose.

Reply by Shlomo ben Maved on March 18, 2012 at 20:55

I'm at a loss here as to what y’all are calling Moose patterns.

That absolutely lovely Tidioute 661212BKM model and the Great Eastern that Jan posted, the H. Boker ones that Roger Russell posted and the truly exquisite one in the header to this thread and the Northfield that Robert Burris posted are true Moose but my great uncles and great grand parents would never call the rest of them that.

A Moose has blades at both ends but they are a large clip and a big fat old bullnose or similar type skinning blade not a spey (nor a Persian like on that lovely Blue Moon)…The reason is that the spey is a finishing blade which would work great on small, thin skinned, fur bearers where punctures will ruin the quality but a 1,200 lb moose with hide and fat ¾” thick you needed a robust blade to handle the chore of skinning and the clip for the delicate parts like around the eyes and nose and lips if you’re doing a full mount say…They were also, horking big knives with blades 3½” to 4½” quite common and I swear one of the uncles had one, had to be 5½” to maybe even 6” a blade but I’ve only seen maybe three of four of those in my life…We’d use similar style folders, which every man jack and most ladies carried with them and a palm sized round rock to do most of our big game animal skinning.

This could also be a national or regional terminology but I’d seen ads selling the non spey bladed ones in Europe and were called Moose patterns…Wherever I travelled over the years I’ve bought local knife and gun magazines from the stands and fight my way through the words with a dictionary and would ask the locals to translate something that I thought would be very interesting like the Scandinavian Knifemakers or the Danish Knifemakers or the Helsinki Knife Shows that were happening that weekend the I would be there so that I’d delay my return, if possible, to attend...You should see the Russian custom makers, I've just started to get interested in them a few years ago I've missed going to the Moscow and St. Petersburg Guild shows due to illness but I'd really want to attend in the next year or two.

The ones with the spey blade I've heard called reverse(d) Muskrat or Trapper dependent on the type of clip blade it had--short clip Trapper long clip Muskrat…I’ve also seen some with the spear point secondary—like the photo from Jan Carter also called Moose but I’m not sure if that’s entirely correct nor incorrect!

IIRC it also had a somewhat distinct handle shape (the centre swell or ridge) similar to the Queen Cutlery one that Billy Oneale posted but with the improper secondary blade and the H. Boker ones that Roger Russell and the header one by Robert Burris…I can’t remember (my memory is fading) nor can I find the info in my fire reduced collection of knife books, if the swell was only on the interior centre or on both sides at the centre but I don’t think it mattered, as long as it was there.

I have no idea what that Blue Moon with the Persian (fleshing or castrating ) style Blade is called but I really like it and will probably order one if I can find one here.

Reply by Robert Burris on March 19, 2012 at 7:41

They were making and selling Moose style knives in the 1880's with a spear blade instead of a spey blade. They were made in New york state, maybe your relatives came before that.

Reply by Shlomo ben Maved on March 19, 2012 at 8:45

All of the commercial knives in the West came from eastern manufactures located in the Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick, New York etc. and Europe so it being an eastern thing is no surprise.

Yeah one side of the family came from there after they all got kicked out of the then British Colony, America, for being Royalists around about 1755, 1756

Reply by Robert Burris on March 19, 2012 at 15:53

The first Moose pattern knives had a large clip blade on one side and a spear blade on the other. The knife companies decided to put the Trapper pattern knife blades on the moose to save making special blades for a pattern that they made just a few of. We are are gonna be a little loose here in this group, if a knife company calls it a moose, then that'll be good enough for us. Hey, Shlomo, post us a picture of one of your moose knives, if you have any. We love looking at them knives!

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service