Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Which one are you and what are your favorite steels to use?

I'm a pounder I prefer the overall controll I get under the hammer as well as the relaxation I get from taking my frustrations out on the steel after my day job.
I like using O-1 5160 & 10xx steels.

Views: 560

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a grinder and I like to use ATS34 a lot
I also like D2 very much.

Todd
I'm getting into both... yet to make a blade tho.... but Ive made my forage, anvil, and plyers so I'm ready to hammer.... and i have tools to grind with... I'm in the designing phase right now...
pounder its the way it has been done for years i like damascus s30v d2 a2 and my favorite 154cm
Being new I have only been taught to grid and it seems to work. I am sure I will venture outta my safe zone with time. As for steel I'll take whatever I can get my hands on however I agree with Manville on D2 and 154CM.
I'm a pounder too. I like "old style" (comes with age I guess!). I prefer to forge in my
coal forge but I've got a small forge made out of 6" sched 40 (heavy wall) pipe that
I made also. Getting ready to make a large propane fired forge out of 12" sched 40
pipe to see if I can forge some damascus. I use scrap yard steel and have had great
luck with it (leaf springs,coil springs,railroad spikes,large lumber mill saw blades)
I'm 80% "Pounder" and 20% "Grinder". I think to an extent, even we "Pounders" are grinders. I make a lot of Mosaic Damascus, but my favorite "straight" steels are 52100 and 1084. Because of the economic times, I'm getting ready to offer a line of Stock Removal blades of 13C26 steel.

There's nothing I enjoy more than forging steel, and if I could just make a living forging I would.....but I do have to admit that I also enjoy turning that "mangled" piece of steel into a finished knife.
I really enjoy the pounding. Of course any knifemaker has to do some
stock removal no matter what.
A pounder all the way but I like to diversify by grinding as well. Keeps me sharp (pun intended).
Just love pounding away at a piece of hot metal. 5160, 52100 and old Nicholson files - Plain 1% Carbon steel - great stuff!
I can do both but I prefer forging. I forge 5160, 1084, 15n20, L6, 52100 and 01 steels. I think that it is more cost efficient and I like to pound the steel to shape.
I am a grinder as well.
Pounder/grinder; There is nothing quite like taking a piece of steel heating it red hot and shaping it into a blade.

52100, 5160, 01

I like Ed's comment, "There's nothing I enjoy more than forging steel, and if I could just make a living forging I would".

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
3 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
4 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
20 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service