Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I just polished the blades on an old, cheap Boker knife. I have a polishing wheel that I've used for years to polish brass and copper, so I'm experienced at using the wheel. But, being new to knife collecting, I'm wondering if I'd be making a mistake by polishing blades of better knives. It doesn't remove pits, but it removes all the spots and makes the blades shine.
Will appreciate any advise.

Views: 3646

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Terrence, I think the whole thing here is having fun. That's why alot of us are into knives...for the fun of it. I might have an old carbon steel fixed blade that was used cleaning fish and gators for years at a fish market in the swamp that probably has a net worth of 2 bucks but to me its priceless. Thats collectability. We need to remember we are all into this knife business for fun.
I couldn't agree more, Robert, and part of that fun is sharing it with you guys.

Don said:
but sometimes we run into a few GEMS along the way....

Robert Burris said:
Terrence, I think the whole thing here is having fun. That's why alot of us are into knives...for the fun of it. I might have an old carbon steel fixed blade that was used cleaning fish and gators for years at a fish market in the swamp that probably has a net worth of 2 bucks but to me its priceless. Thats collectability. We need to remember we are all into this knife business for fun.

I think there's a lot to be said for an old 1095 carbon steel blade havin a little patina to it. That being said, I have polished and cleaned my share in the last several years though. The ones I cleaned, were cleaned because of display purposes mainly. I had these old counter top displays that needed to have new lookin knives on them. So I bought a lot of these at flea markets and swap meets and found the cards after years of searchin on ebay.  Can you say obsession?

Ok, here are the knives I was talkin bout.

That is a sweet display Perry.  Good looking and fun!!!

Thanks Jan, it has been alot of fun to collect these. I bet I've spent several hours polishing, cleaning and oiling these older cells. Most of these have really good snap still too!

I just love those old counter top displays. That is a great look!

Any body ever hear of  http://www.hoppes.com/index.htm for cleaning and polishing!

Hey Steve, I haven't. I use Birchwood Casey gun scrubber on all my older knives then I blow them out with compressed air.

Then I oil them down with Quick Release oil.

It was recommended by another member. Honestly never heard of it or used it but they have an interesting site.

Yep, it's the truth too. I'm a total sceptic but it does work, sometimes even brings total snap back

to the blades.

Here's my solid cells so far, got more comin in next week.

perry coleman said:

Yep, it's the truth too. I'm a total sceptic but it does work, sometimes even brings total snap back

to the blades.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
19 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
20 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Apr 21
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service