Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Hi everyone and welcome to our newest members,

Something we have not talked about lately is new aquisitions.  Tell us about your latest and greatest GEC.  Donnie bought me both the new 23's in the Beavertail (Worlds greatest husband by the way)  He got himself the newest 73 in Primitive bone.  THAT is a heck of a nice knife.

What have you gotten lately?

Tags: Cutlery, Eastern, Great

Views: 12335

Replies to This Discussion

Those are awesome Jan!!!!!

I don't know which one I like better, that spear with the swedge looks awesome though. Really some beautiful knives. 

The spear fits the pattern so well Johnny.    I thought it would be my least fav of the two but I was sooo wrong

Very nice Jan!!! I ordered these already too but they won't get to me for a week or so. I have pondered getting the spear in some of the other handle materials too but have been on the fence. I think it looks awesome and even though I won't use these knives in all likelihood, I am a clip guy and the spear doesn't seem as useful IMO. I just got the clip version in snakewood, cocobolo, dusk buffalo and have a clip burnt stag ordered also. I need to take some pics but need better light. I also got in a smooth yellow bone deluxe #61 congress, a cranberry acryllic big jack #54, and a green velvet acryllic #54 stockman/whittler. I've had my eye on the two acryllics for a long time and didn't want to wait too long and miss them. I snoozed on the Orange FTPR Sodbuster and missed out, will have to wait and hope for a black delrin issue. Johnny had better write lots of field test reports so I can enjoy his through his posts. Don't let me down Johnny!

I'm happy to  oblige Tom.

I decided to test the blade with some cardboard cutting today. I started off with light cardboard, actually it was just a cereal box. I sliced it down till there was nothing to slice, then I tested the edge. It still popped hairs off my arms and left me with a smooth patch. The edge would slice through paper with ease, but it wasn't as scary sharp as when I first got it. After that I moved onto some shipping cardboard, it's a good bit thicker and proved to be more of a challenge. But, the thin blade still screamed through it and I had a useable edge afterwards. It would take hair off and slice paper, but it started to loose it's perfect factory edge. I have it in my pocket right now and I trust that it would continue to be sharp enough for most jobs. As long as it's taking hair off my arm, I trust it. 

that's how I check mine for sharpness, Johnny. My wife say's I will end up cutting all the hair off my arm. I just tell her it will grow back.
johnny twoshoes said:

I'm happy to  oblige Tom.

I decided to test the blade with some cardboard cutting today. I started off with light cardboard, actually it was just a cereal box. I sliced it down till there was nothing to slice, then I tested the edge. It still popped hairs off my arms and left me with a smooth patch. The edge would slice through paper with ease, but it wasn't as scary sharp as when I first got it. After that I moved onto some shipping cardboard, it's a good bit thicker and proved to be more of a challenge. But, the thin blade still screamed through it and I had a useable edge afterwards. It would take hair off and slice paper, but it started to loose it's perfect factory edge. I have it in my pocket right now and I trust that it would continue to be sharp enough for most jobs. As long as it's taking hair off my arm, I trust it. 

SWEET!
Jan Carter said:

:)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)

I didn't want to come off like I was bad mouthing the spear blades. I too think that on this knife their form fits the knife better. It's just that I had to draw the line somewhere in my spending on this pattern. I thought that I would buy mostly clips and one or two spears. But the more I handle this knife the more I like it. It is nice and slim, fits in the hand very well, looks great and you don't even notice that it's in your pocket. For me it's a very nice gentleman's type knife. I wouldn't want much of a smaller knife - at least I don't think so - until GEC comes out with it. Luca, this one's probably not for you. Johnny, this one is getting closer to the size of that peanut that you want to see from GEC. I do wish that they would combine the two main blades and make it a moose. IMO, this one would be nice in abalone, but I would rather see it in the Northfield line instead of Tidioute.

The way the moose gets praised on here it's making me think that the time is coming for me to get one. I think that the equal end frame is an obvious choice for the Moose pattern. We'll see I guess.

Tom, GEC can take their time on the peanut just yet, that wish list is getting way too long. Those conductors are really looking attractive right now. But, I gotta fight the urge. : )

Also, I have lots of knives that need to get pocket time. This Bull will be getting the work load until next month, then maybe the powderhorn Beavertail. It's an equally great knife that will earn it's keep with ease. 

I would be happy if they did the White Owl with the two main blades at the same end in jack style too. Johnny, I would jump on one of those elk Conductors while they are still around. That elk feels so smooth in hand, you know what I'm talking about. Just order one my friend and put it away for awhile or reserve it for Sundays or special occasions. You won't second guess the decision once you have it in hand. I am confident that you will work out the pocket time dilemma! Your problem is one we all have from time to time and one that many would envy. I'd be happy to carry your sodbuster or that YR Hogan if the decision making gets too tough - LOL!

You never go wrong with Elk!!

Tom,

Given the choice of a clip and a spear we will almost always choose the clip.  The Spear seems to be a true favorite among knife folks but it is usually a very big blade for me.  I love the look of them, regrettably having small hands I really have steered away from this blade for many years.  One thing I have found with GEC is that they can make a spear that I dont feel is too cumbersome to control for me.  This particular frame and both blade options work well for me.  Now what do you think the chances are Donnie is going to let me carry these PB beauties?

Jan, good luck with that. 

I don't see it happening, but maybe you can get a new Beavertail. : )

Jan, maybe you should just sneak one out every now and then, it won't hurt. : )

The Primitive bone is a very attractive offering from GEC, I would like to own more, but I use all my knives and ancient cow bone does sound as strong as the new stuff. I think that GEC controls the market for bone works. Case offers a new handle material every 30 seconds, but there is no comparison. GEC's hand finished knives just feel better.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Mike Bryant posted photos
1 hour ago
Kevin D posted a status
"Last 2 weekends were completely 'horse' weekends. This weekend I hope to get back to the forge and getting some other knife work done."
17 hours ago
Jan Carter posted a status
Wednesday
Ellis H. Roberson commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Wednesday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Wednesday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Wednesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Wednesday
J.J. Smith III replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Monday
Joe Vadala commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Jun 9
Joe Vadala commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Jun 9
Bill Martinson posted photos
Jun 9
Kevin D replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Jun 9
George R Naugle commented on Terry Waldele's group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Jun 9
George R Naugle joined Terry Waldele's group
Jun 9
George R Naugle commented on Scott King's group Vintage American Knives
Jun 9

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by