Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I have a question? For years now I've admired the sheer beauty of the Randall Trout & Bird Knife, Model 8. Lately I've seen the same knife for sale advertised as the Model 8-4. What is the difference, if any?

The other Randall I love is the Model 5 Small Camp & Trail Knife. Looks similar except for the blade size & straight shape.

I've always felt that Randall's were out of my league but I was looking at a catalog from 2003 when they were going for $215.00. Sure wish I had bought it back then.

Views: 2189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jan Carter said:

Kent,

Robert hit the nail on the head with that one.  We do have many quality makers here that may be able to customize a knife for you without the wait

kent there is makers on here that is as good or better than randall.if you look at some of the custom makers on here it will amaze you.they can make the knife you want with the steel you want with the handle materal you want at half the the cost .i did not even know about these guys till i joined ikc some even make the knives thats on movies are right here...

KENT GABLE said: Jan, I know there are many options but both the Randall Model 8 Trout & Bird knife & Model 5 just sort of grabbed me, if you know what I mean? I tend to favor that Model 8 as a 4" blade is mighty handy fer a variety of outdoor chores.

The model 5 would be another choice with the 5" blade. Maybe a better choice for overall camp use?

I have to give this some consideration and especially this month as I have a lot of expenses. It's always something getting in the way of pursuing the things I love.

Like I said before, someday soon I'm gonna get that Randall.

Jan Carter said:

Kent,

Robert hit the nail on the head with that one.  We do have many quality makers here that may be able to customize a knife for you without the wait

And I hope your dreams come true on that one Kent.  Sometimes a knife just jumps out and says ME!!!  I will keep an eye out, if I see a reasonable good one I will let you know

Randall will only allow you to order two knives at a time from their shop and with a four plus year weight...I have my knives coming the third week of Aug. after a three plus year wait...It was to be timed for my 60th birthday, last March so that wasn't too far off, just four and a half months!  My wife ordered two, I ordered two and all of my daughters (ten) joined together and ordered four so I'll have eight coming in (didn't know of two knives from the married girls) with the fourteen that I now have will give me twenty two different knives (eighteen models with some in different sizes).

Randall makes a slew of knives--basic stock confirurations--for their dealers to sell...I had wanted and was looking for a #1-6 (Border Patrol handle) but was able to find an #1-5 factory new for the same price as the factory and could have it in my hot little hands the following week instead of four years later...If you're not too, too particular you can have just about (75%) every model within weeks.

They will have them in stock or usually a four to eight month backlog before they get another but that doesn't mean that another of their dealers won't have the same knife or the knife but with a Micarta instead of stacked leather handle in stock.

Dealers that I'm aware of and am probably missing a greaet number are:

*A.G. Russell Knives

Blue Star Knives

Custom Grips & Knives

Fort Henry Custom Knives

Jay's Knives

*Kevin's Fine Outdoor Gear

Michigan Knives

*Miles Welze

Nifeboy.com

*Plaza Cutlery

**Steel Addiction

You Want It 2

* I have dealt with them

** My uncle and a couple of cousins use them a lot.

It's quite impossible to offer a rational reason why one knife appeals to an indivdual & others ( just as good) do not? Maybe the Randall knife is like a cult thing? I don't know? As for me, I shopped around and I happened to like the looks of Randall's Model 5 Small Camp knife with a 5" blade & stag handle. The other one I liked was their 4" Trout & Bird knife.

At any rate, I got about the best deal on a new Model 5 in stainless steel that I could find. For the past ten years or so I've admired that particular knife. Finally, I decided to go ahead and buy it because the only better deal came with a 16 month factory wait for only about $100 less. Why wait? If that's what turns you on and you can afford it, go right ahead because life is short.

In my humble opinion there IS no comparison between a hand made knife vs. factory made, much as I also like and collect Buck, Case, Canal Street, and others. With Randall the quality is most certainly there. I imagine that's also true for Dozier, Loveless and a host of others that offer hand made knives?

As far as Randall goes, I don't intend on collecting them. This is all I want and what's worse, I intend on actually using it. Not just letting it sit in a glass case for trusted friends to gawk at. What good is any knife if you don't have the pleasure of using it, unless your buying them as a collector's item? That's fine if time is on your side. Heck, you may even make money on them but that's not why I buy knives. I buy 'em cause I like 'em and they are one of the few things we still make in this country that exhibits true craftsmanship.

That's true with guns too, but knives are more in my price range plus for some inexplicable reason I like 'em better?

Kent,

There just is no rational reason and I am very glad you just went and did it.  I want to hear when you get a chance to use that one!!  Tell us about the experience

I thought the model 7 was their bird and trout. That's the model that I own. I am very pleased with it and would recomend one to anyone able to afford a knife of that nature. The model 7 that I have is stag with brass all around. I had a new sheath made for it because I don't care for that style sheath that they come with. The reason I mentioned the price is that I beleive alot of the price for a Randall is their name.

Don -That IS one good looking Randall. I still think they're quality is worth the extra bread. And I still like my Buck Special 119 which is comprable to my Model5 "Small Camp & Trail Knife" but the attention to detail with a Randall is outstanding. If I had to choose a survival knife and my life were dependant on it, it would be my Randall #5 -5" blade/stag handle. Almost identical to the "Trout & Bird knife" except that model has a 4" blade, 3/16" - stag handle. The blade is sharpened on top for 2" also. I was torn between the two but wanted a little beefier blade. To me, 5" is perfect although blade length is up to the buyer's choice and what he reckons he will primarily be using it for.

Robert- According to my Randall catalog which is a 2003, the model 7 is described as a "Fisherman-Hunter" - 4 1/2" and 5" blades of 3/16" stock. 4 1/4"-5/8" leather handle. Brass hilt. Duralumin butt cap. Similar to Model 3 except this knife is smaller and lighter. Ideal for small game, creel and tackle box (Wt. 4-5)." 

Model 8 is described as their "Trout and Bird Knife" and is not available with a leather handle. Stag only.

That's what Randall's catalog sez but WHO CARES?  They're ALL beautiful, unique and excellent examples of American craftsmanship which is pretty hard to find in anything these days. 

Thanks Kent, You are correct but I use my model 7 for fishing. Don now you know why there's a long waiting list for one. In using good knives like Randall and Treeman etc. if you take care of how you use them they will stay in remarkable shape. I think more people damage their knives resharpening them than using them. That should not be a problem for you Don.

Robert- yer right regarding sharpening. I've tried a few different guide gizmos over the years but I'm just more comfortable using my eye for the correct angle which does vary from hunting to filet & kitchen knives. I understand that Lansky makes a quality sharpening guide?

I do like my DMT Diamond 2"x6" in a "fine" grade which comes in a wood box with little feet to hold it in place. I think I might consider going to a 3" x 8" for longer blades?  Actually I've used more Washita oil stones for many years and especially in a course grade for sharpening knives in rough shape or tools. I think they are just as good.

The only trick is avoiding scratching yer blade. All Randall knives are hand sharpened and as you know, are razor sharp. I'd like to watch one of those good ole boys put an edge on a new Randall. I wonder if they bother with a sharpening guide? Maybe, but I kinda doubt it.

Kent, if you want to know more about knife sharpening [as should everybody] join the knife sharpening group. You will learn alot.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service