Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

In reply to Steve Hanner's question: I simply have gotten to many knives, and have stopped buying for awhile (notice I say for awhile) and my interest at present is being divided with other interests. I will be back to posting more but when the time is right. I still have a deep respect and love for IKC.

Views: 1050

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What are the top 3 indicators for a member to use that would actually make the site "overwhelmingly active" ?

Are you asking or telling? Please be telling!

Sue OldsWidow said:

What are the top 3 indicators for a member to use that would actually make the site "overwhelmingly active" ?

Hog, I am asking....

Ken, go back to page 4 of this discussion and read my original reply-- Likes are still relevant--  It is just an attempt to eliminate some of the redundancy in the scroll- DO we really need 30 consecutive posts about a group of pics about ONE knife? pics , comments, and other posts get dropped off the scroll behind  the redundancy and sometimes get buried within a day-- For example-- I post 15 pics of the same knife individually-- I then post each one individually to facebook-- I get 10 likes and maybe 3 or 4 comments--  I now have to scroll through 44 postings to find a different subject--New topics, pics, etc. are getting lost behind repetitious posts-Log in at times, and you may have to hit the more button several times, just to find a topic that interests you or you have not already looked at--- The new or casual member likely won't go to that much trouble----

It would be nice is the original post and its children can all get clumped together.   No doubt the hardes thing about this site is finding an old thread or discussion.  I've often given up finding some of my own threads!

But truth be told, other discussion groups are also discombobulated and many make it very hard to post pictures and videos are out of the question unless you're a "Premium Member"

Part of the problem is members need to take the time to investigate their personal settings and accept email notifications from groups they join or for replies to post.  Members do need to invest a little time in figuring out how the site works.

Well OK that what I was afraid of LOL, OK here is my take on it, "The top 3 things a member can do to make the site overwhelmingly active" and this is just my humble opinion! Presented in no particular order:

1. Post in Groups
  2. Comment on Discussions
  3. Add pictures of your knives

Sue OldsWidow said:

Hog, I am asking....

Perhaps the LIKE is just to easy. I find myself just liking pictures or Groups or discussions and not really adding anything substantive. You can still LIKE all those things but they will not be shown in the activity stream.

Not sure why the sign in does not "remember" your password, but honestly that might more be an issue with your browser. Mine remembers my password and it just opens.

Ken Spielvogel said:

Does that mean there is no reason to hit the like?? Why take that off?     Also: how about putting back the "remember my password" block on the sign in so we don't have to continually sign in.???

Bingo Tobias! Many folks just take no time to learn the site.

Tobias Gibson said:

It would be nice is the original post and its children can all get clumped together.   No doubt the hardes thing about this site is finding an old thread or discussion.  I've often given up finding some of my own threads!

But truth be told, other discussion groups are also discombobulated and many make it very hard to post pictures and videos are out of the question unless you're a "Premium Member"

Part of the problem is members need to take the time to investigate their personal settings and accept email notifications from groups they join or for replies to post.  Members do need to invest a little time in figuring out how the site works.

OK - sometimes I just get to look at pics, I see that as activity. But if its not I will stop liking, because I have to go back and forth just to like. Now I will just look at the pics. Whatever. My computer doesn't let me save my password on this site, it used to but not anymore???

OK yes, that does sound more like a browser issue. Don't know what you use but something like Google Chrome does/should prompt you for saving password for this site.

Let me be clear on LIKE...it no longer shows on the Activity Stream HOWEVER it does count as personal activity its just not shown.

Ken Spielvogel said:

OK - sometimes I just get to look at pics, I see that as activity. But if its not I will stop liking, because I have to go back and forth just to like. Now I will just look at the pics. Whatever. My computer doesn't let me save my password on this site, it used to but not anymore???

One more thing I will add that we talked a bit about last night: Go to your My Page, find the My Likes and click that, it goes by month and shows what you have Liked, during a given month. Here is a link to My Page that shows what I have Liked, during the month of October so far: http://iknifecollector.com/profiles/like/list?screenName=208puywwiu1an

For the new person and for the long time members who have never posted, if you are worried about being belittled or personally attacked for some honest question you need not fear.   This is a friendly group that doesn't bite.  People understand we all have different levels of knowledge.  People also understand personal attacks are not going to be tolerated.

My advice to Jan and Hog is to post Cat Photos.  Nothing increases web traffic like pictures of cute little kittens!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
15 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
21 hours ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20
J.J. Smith III replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service