Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

When I first saw this knife in the display case at GEC it was a stand out for me, I loved the frame, I was also in a stainless mood, and the honey bone called to me, so it followed me home.... which meant it was doomed for the pocket. It’s been riding, happily I might add, very well. We have been faced with some cutting chores since our joining of forces, but I was never given a good opportunity to get a Feel. After this weekend I now have a good opinion on the knife, I’d like to share it here.

When I was just about ready to put this beauty in my pocket, I opened the blades and admired it for a second, then I noticed how short the cutting edge is. Less than two inches for both blades, that doesn’t exactly give the user a lot of wriggle room. I was a little worried that maybe it wouldn’t fit in, but I decided to give it a go anyway. It didn’t take long to realize it’s a scalpel of a knife, at 3 3/4 closed, it affords a decent grip for the user, but again it has two “short” blades, so you think before you cut. Those little scalpels will do anything you ask of them, with ease too, you just have to use them right.

I was away from home for this round of testing, but I was an a great place with lots of cutting chores. I spent the weekend at a very good friends place, he also happens to be the owner of the Ithaca Gun Company in Upper Sandusky Ohio. So I’ll have lots to share on the Firearms group as well. Anyhow, on his property is a lake, and yes the fishing was great, after meeting everyone I departed with my brothers, and our best friend to the lake. After a little bit of trying, I started catching, at first a few bluegill and pumpkin seed, but then the Bass started hitting. My brother says I was “catching while everybody else was fishing” I did’t reel a fish in on every cast, it was more like very other cast, so I did pretty good. I hooked a big beautiful pumpkin seed, and he fought as much as I let him, he really hated the thoughts of leaving the water, when I pulled him in I saw that the hook we really dug into his lip, after a few seconds of trying to pull it free I realized it was time for surgery. I pulled out the pen blade and went to work, the little pen blade was sharp enough that I needed to just barely touch around the hook before he was free, with a splash he was back in the water. I finished the fishing test by cutting line for a few different guys.

Then it was time for championship cornhole, it was a new set so some plastic needed to be removed before game time, once again the #61 went to work and completed the task with ease. After loosing miserably again, and again it was dinner time. A beautiful pig was presented right off the grill and the steaks were finished, I needed to cut my steak, so I just reached for my back pocket, and Red Wine had the steak in tasty little bites right quick. Then it was time for shrimp, these things are huge, they catch them fresh while their down in Cabo and bring them back to the states. There was a ton of shrimp to prepare, so I volunteered for duty, as did my mom. They only had two knives, so I produced my two, I handed my mom the #61, and I teamed up with Red Wine, the work was easy, and a lot of fun actually. I knew I had the edge very sharp on my knives, so they cut with ease. I asked my Mom how she like the #61 and she said it did “really well”, so now RW, and 61 have some shrimp prep under their blades.

The next day we toured the Gun factory and wow, what a blast. So much goes into these guns, and they take pride in their work for sure. It reminded me of GEC, and how many in house steps there are, and just how committed they are to producing a 100% American made product. After a really well informed tour we had the opportunity to try out some new product, I’ll save that for later though. Someone needed a knife, so I volunteered again, I opened a paint can with my 61.... I know, but don’t cringe, it was easy and no real pressure was put on 61, it’s just a tool anyhow. (I need to tell myself this so I know that I did nothing wrong.) I was standing there admiring a few of their guns when someone said “Hey, I need to borrow a knife.” then someone asked, “wheres the guy with the knife?” Honestly I was shocked that just three people had knives on them, and I had more knives on me than the other two guys. : ) I handed 61 over and watched as it sliced right through some plastic wrap, then it cut up some plastic twine, I think it really enjoyed the work too. Then someone tossed it back to me and I tested the edge, and man, GEC really has the stainless done right. I was proud to be the “guy with the knife” and I was proud that the knife was a GEC. Both of my knives have stepped in very well as my EDCs, and I’m falling in love with the combo of Red Wine and Honey. 

The #61 half congress is a worker, and it will handle more than I’ll ever throw at it, but it’s good to know that it’s ready for anything. It’s so slim that it makes an easy choice for pocket carry, and I have a feeling that it will stay in the pocket for a while. There is a late trout season here in Pa, and I think we may head up to camp for a fishing trip, so Honey and Elk will get some time together..... I think. I’ve learned that even with a couple “little” blades a lot of work can be completed easily. 

I’ll keep you guys informed on my tests. 

Views: 1238

Replies to This Discussion

Very good Johnny. As for stainless GEC has the best 440c on a knife that I have found.
Again Johnny you have told a great story to go with the review on your knofe.  Thank you.  I am glad your mom gave an opinion on working with the 61.  Any comments from the firearms folks about your GEC's?  I will be watching the firearms group also, I would like to know more about another company that cares enough to use USA materials to make USA products....Way to go GEC and Ithaca Gun Company

So I've really been busy this last month and I miss sharing with you guys. I have been testing my GECs, so you guys are fresh on my mind every time I finish a cutting chore. We have a traveling market for the farm where I work and we've been selling quite a bit in the last couple months. The season is coming to a close, so things tend to get busy now. I've been helping out there instead of just working the farm, so I've dealt with a lot of people over this period of time and I've really enjoyed it.

It's mostly older folks who are just looking for some farm fresh produce, but if you take a little bit of time out of your day and just share a smile and a friendly conversation, you really get blessed by some great folks. Because I've been working the markets I decided to carry my yellow rose #53, it's a perfect knife for this fall weather and I just love everything about it. It's been called on by the other market members many times, so it has a special place on market day. Today it cleaned up some cabbage and even helped with sales. My brother was dealing with a customer who didn't like the peaches we sold, so I'm kind if watching to see what would happen. My brother turns and looks at me, "toss me your knife", so I throw it over to him and the next thing I know he's slicing up some peaches for the customers. My brother knew what he was doing and he sold a few peaches to some very satisfied customers. I repeated this techniques with another customer and I sold a few peaches myself. We didn't bring any peaches home, so I think everybody was pretty happy.

I have decided to bring Red Wine with me from now on though, I don't want someone to taste that good ol' 1095 blade and get worried. My Yellow Rose has handled more than a few chores this month and it's really regained my attention, so I don't see it leaving the pocket for a while. It will have to contend with my "New one" though. : )

Well you certainly have been busy and I can imagine a hundred cutting chores on that farm.  Great work on the peaches sales

My knives continue to impress me, it's impossible to have any sort of regret when a product functions this well. Two constants for me would be my #72 Red Wine and one of #56 doglegs. I carry the stag when I get home from work, while the Smoothy works all morning. All of these knives have been function flawlessly, I couldn't be happier. Ohh, I almost forgot, my #53 Furtaker trapper is a constant while at work as well, which leads to a story.

One of the most popular fall decorations, next to pumpkins of course, would be corn stalks. We cut and bundle our corn stalks by hand and we cut a lot. In order to bundle them we have to tie them together with jute twine and we use a lot of it. So while someone cuts the stalks down I get the twine ready. After your done getting all of the twine ready for use you have a decent sized rope, around three inches thick. But, instead of being a solid mass you have body of little strings which love to move as soon as you go to cut them, so a sharp knife is definitely in order. One of the guys I work with is the boss's son, and he is a knife collector of sorts. Where he likes the fast opening, black rifle tactical stuff, I like my traditional slipjoints that take time when being deployed, they slow you down to think about the job at hand. So, he pulls out this tactical something, something knife, flicks it open in 0 seconds and commences his chore of "cutting". I slowly reach into my pocket, I pull out my American made classic pocket knife, I admire the ever so classy Beavertail shield and I open the blade.

That dark patina speaks to me of this years use, I remember it's been a while since I last touched the edge up and I know I have really been using this knife. Anyhow, I have to cut this, so I do the jute membrane splits open like nothing. I turn to my co-worker and it looks like he's been running a marathon, the sweat is dripping from his forehead as the jute twine remains intact. He keeps struggling with his chore a little while longer, finally he stands up and he looks around, "does anybody have a butter knife? " I think it would be sharper than this thing". He was only partly joking with his assessment. I slowly reach into my pocket and I pull out my Furtaker. "Here, you can use my knife". He reaches over and takes it, a bit displeased with his cutlery. Whats this? I think he's admiring my Beavertail shield. He finishes the cutting in no time and he hands me back my knife, it feels good getting it out of his hands to be honest. 

I told him that his knife just needed a better edge on it, he looked at me and said, "it's brand new".

BEAVERTAIL TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!  Great story Johnny.  Donnie says to tell you the buffolo horn is no longer lonley, he has a geppetto in B Horn to play with now.
Very good Johnny.
Johnny, always enjoy your stories sir. I think that you missed your calling! Every time I read one of your posts I have the sudden urge to use or buy a GEC knife! When will our friends at GEC put you on the payroll? Happy cutting my friend!
I agree Tom.  I can never decide which of his talents I admire most.  The writing or the photo's.  Johnny, maybe National Geographic where you could do both?

Jan, I have a hard time believing that National Geographic would send me to Titusville Pa, so I'm gonna stick with farm hand for another year or so. : )

Okay Tom, so what new knife did we buy this time? : )

Thank you my friend, I'm happy to hear that you enjoy what I have to say. I have a passion for knives, because of that passion it has pushed me to try other things, like photography. So maybe I should buy another GEC???? 

Thanks guys, it's nice to share when you know it's with friends. 

OK, so maybe working for GEC is a great idea. 

Well the latest test I had was on a couple of Bushy tails, I'm happy to say my #56 and #72 handled the job very well. I cleaning the squirrels out with the #56 clip blade, it preformed very well, which is not a huge surprise, gutting a squirrel is an easy job. I usually use a smaller knife for this chore, GEC doesn't make a knife all that small. The #56 is extremely comfortable in hand, I love using one. It's all about the frame for me and the #56 has my frame of choice.

I used the #72 for the harder jobs, like dismembering the squirrel. I like a lockback for this job and the #72 preformed very well. 

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service