Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Would it be appropriate to begin a discussion for the sole purpose of providing a place for people to post a photo or two of a knife that that are having a hard time identifying?

Once a person adds to the thread posting photos and any information that they can of a knife they need help ID'ing, then the entire iKC community should be able to see it and hopefully be able to assist in the identification of the knife.

I personally have a couple of knives that I would greatly appreciate that type of assistance, but will refrain from posting anything further, until I receive some sort of confirmation from those of higher standing than myself.

Thoughts, feedback, comments, and suggestions are always welcomed!

Views: 809

Replies to This Discussion

The CASE XX is a 6265.  The Olsen does not have any number on it that I can find

"You're killing me Smalls".... you couldn't find an easier knife to research? Those Swiss swords we were chasing was easier than this! (inside joke)

OK - so far I have been able to confirm everything you've stated so far....PLUS...I have confirmed all over the place what it is not. I know that's like "well duh"...but I'm taking credit for that effort before anyone else does.  :-) 

So - to help us (me in particular) help you - please post a few more photos of it - Willy Wonka style - all blades opened, up ways and down ways, right ways and left ways,  in ways and out ways, this way and that way....you know the drill. 

Also - I did read on another forum that shall not be named, that after the Olsen facility in Howard City burned down after 1978, it is believed that some Olsen branded knives were made for them by Schrade Cutlery. So your initial thought that it was a Case knock-off may actually be a Schrade contract piece....I dunno - just throwing pieces of the puzzle out there...

OK - I'm back at it...

As you asked, here are some additional photos.  I believe that these are what was asked for and will answer all questions that might be out there. If there is anything that anyone would like to see on this knife, please just ask, and I will do my best to get a photo of it for you.

I always find it interesting how a collection starts. Sometimes it is not even about the knife itself at first but about who you got it from. A small old pocket knife with some family history behind it can end up meaning more than a much more expensive knife.


Kevin D said:

I was chasing around the net looking for information on CASE XX knives, and I found a fair number of 6265 SAB folders for sale.  Well, I know that I have a 6265 CASE XX folder, but I was not sure about the SAB or even what that meant (turns out it designates saber grind).  Well I had to go check my knife to see if it was a SAB knife or not, and eight next to it was another knife very similar to the CASE.  I do not even recall where I got it, but I had it in my head that it was a Chinese or Pakistan knock-off.  Inspecting it closer, I discovered that it is an Olsen.  Made in Solingen, Germany.

I have tried to find some information on it.  while I can find lots of Olsen fixed blades made in Germany, I can hardly find any folders from there at all.  Does anyone have any ideas or information?

I did find an article that said that from 1950 until 1970 Olsen was made in Howard City, MI.  From 1970 into the 80s they were made in Germany.

As you can see from the photos, the Olsen is a little smaller than the CASE XX, but the stamps on the ricasso of the smaller blade are very distinct.

You can see that there is a little chunk broken off one scale on the Olsen.  I was thinking about replacing the scales with handmade ones; but after realizing the manufacturer, I am rethinking that a bit.

I have not done anything at all to clean up the Olsen at all.  I think perhaps I need to give it a little attention and see how it comes out.  :)

Oh man - you nailed it mamba...ain't that the truth?

Haha, exactly. That’s what makes collecting so much fun. You never know when a knife has a little story behind it that you didn’t expect.

Lars said:

Oh man - you nailed it mamba...ain't that the truth?

I think this would be a great idea. Sometimes the smallest details can make a big difference when trying to identify an older or unfamiliar knife.

Clear photos of both sides, the blade markings, handle, spine, tang, and sheath can all be helpful. It’s also useful to mention the approximate size, where the knife came from, and anything unusual about the construction or materials.

For anyone interested in Damascus patterns, this is also a useful reference for comparing what you’re seeing on a blade:

https://blackmambaknives.com/guides/real-vs-fake-damascus-knives/

I’d definitely enjoy seeing some of the knives people are having trouble identifying. There’s usually someone in a collector group who recognizes something that others don’t.

RSS

whiteriverknives.com

© 2026   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service