Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I continue to be impressed by the quality of Rough Rider knives especially when you consider the price.  They really do give good value for the money.  I got this RR1287 Half Hawk off eBay for $5.99 plus $3.49 shipping.  That was the minimum bid, no one else bid on it.  The SMKW price for this knife is $9.99 plus shipping which is still a good value.

I wish SMKW would have them made in the US.  I know they would cost more but if they kept the quality up and the price reasonable, I would still buy them.

This is a substantial knife, it is not flimsy.  It weighs 3.6 ounces, nearly a quarter of a pound.  The 2 7/8 inch sheepsfoot blade is thicker than the 2 1/4 inch pen blade.  As near as I can measure with my ruler, the sheepsfoot is 3/32 inch thick and the pen is 1/16 inch.  Both of the 440A stainless steel blades have half stops and very good snap.

I have read a couple of complaints that Rough Riders weren't sharp.  But every RR that I have tested has been hair shaving sharp out of the box, including both blades of this one.

Views: 650

Replies to This Discussion

Great review Charles, looks like a good usable knife.

Thanks Ken.

I wish more folks would look at these knives.  Just like the original "take the RR challenge"  They prove that china can provide/build a decent knife.  One of the things that keeps me happy about them being made there, is the price.  At this price point and the massive amount that are made...anyone can get into knife collecting at a reasonable price that may fit their budget

You have a good point there Jan.  I could not have as many knives in my collection if it weren't for RR's and Case Mini Blackhorns.  Both are lower priced knives.  Although I do have several other Case knives.  But I got some of them on SHC specials at half price or even less.

Jan Carter said:

I wish more folks would look at these knives.  Just like the original "take the RR challenge"  They prove that china can provide/build a decent knife.  One of the things that keeps me happy about them being made there, is the price.  At this price point and the massive amount that are made...anyone can get into knife collecting at a reasonable price that may fit their budget

I have that half hawk, too.
I carry it when I know I am going to be doing some heavy cutting when a sheepsfoot blade is the proper blade choice. It is a good heavy duty knife.
I also like the fact that unlike so many others that make a half hawk, Rough Rider added the pen blade. The pen blade just adds versitility and usefulness.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service