Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

This unofficial survey is to determine who has purchased knives on eBay and a brief description of your experience. Would you do it again if you were a first timer? For those iKC members not based here in US what has your experience been using eBay? We are not looking at the seller experience just yet, only buyer. two main questions but fill in other information as needed.

1. Have you used eBay for buying knives?
  2. How often do you buy on eBay?
Results of the poll are being tabulated and we'll post them shortly Thank you for your responses!

Tags: buy, eBay, survey

Views: 656

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Billy, and I agrre with you on that set amount. I get a price in my head and will not go over by even a dime,lol!

Billy Oneale said:
I buy a few from ebay and have had fairly good luck. I have bought some for pretty good prices. I do get outbid a lot on knives because I usually have a set amount I am willing to bid. I have bought most of my Remington bullet knives from ebay. Most sellers I have bought from have been very truthful in what they sell. I do need to see lots of pictures like Dale and Scott and some of the others  do. I am relly leery of those that just shoe 1 pic with the blades closed.

I buy if I see something I like?...but only when I have a few dollars to spend..  I'm not really living to see Ebay knives for sale.

I may buy 5-10 a year..

1. YES i have bought many knives, and other stuff from E bay. mainly as gifts

2. very often! i buy  lot of stuff on Ebay!! probally buy too much! lol

Answers to Questions

#1 is YES I Buy a lot of  knives on  E-Bay

#2 is ever week or two if I'm Lucky & win a bid.  {I Bid on E-Bay  every week}

Howdy Hog,

I'm not an knife guy.  Instead, I'm the group's token woodworker.  They guys -and a great bunch of guys they are-- let me hang around 'cause I write good, (?), and have opinions on displaying good stuff.  Good stuff like knives.

This being said, I don't but a lot of stuff on eBay anymore.  Used to buy and sell both, but now it seems to me that the published prices are a come-on.  By the time you add in (utterly ridiculous) S&H charges, the prices are as much as Walmart.  (I do occasionally but odd / old things Walmart don't carry.

Now I have to say I buy lots of books from half.com, and I think ebay owns them.  F;rinstance, I just collected up all the Horation Hornblower books and reread them for the first time sence my long ago and largelymis-spent youth.

(Can I get an AMEN on Hornblower?)

Bill

Since 2003 I've bought probably 300-500 knives off Ebay. 50% excellent experience, 40% good or better experience, 5% fair and about 5% bad. I only collect vintage era knives and Ebay's one of the best sources for 'em. Watch, wait, determine what your willing to pay and bid. If you win fine, if you don't fine. Always take into account shipping cost and the form of shipping being used. Last year Ebay changed some of the terms being used for shipping. "Standard" and "Expedited" are generic terms and can mean anything from Parcel Post (9-11 days @ $1.50) to Priority Mail (2-3 days @ $5). When in doubt, ask. If a seller is charging $6+ for 1st class mail shipping which costs them about $2 to ship, then take that into account and bid accordingly. As far as pics go, if it's not so great (and time allows), I send a copy over to Photobucket and do some enhancements, most of the time you can improve what you can see by changing the lighting and contrast. Oh...and never under estimate the power of buying from non-knife people. Some of the best deals I ever made were from folks that had absolutely no idea what they were selling. :-)

Jamais. J'achète toujours directement avec le coutelier.

André

eBay est un bon site de vente et d'achat.

André, parfois il est bon d'acheter directement à partir de quelqu'un que vous connaissez

BAUFFE André said:

Jamais. J'achète toujours directement avec le coutelier.

André

eBay est un bon site de vente et d'achat.

Thank you Tom, that's may be evn more than I buy!

Tom Holmes said:

I buy if I see something I like?...but only when I have a few dollars to spend..  I'm not really living to see Ebay knives for sale.

I may buy 5-10 a year..

Thank you Don, wow that's surprising.

Don said:

1. no

2. zero

Thank you Rob, good advice there and yes shipping almost always confuses me! Where I live same guy delivers them no matter how they are sent.

Rob Gregg said:
Since 2003 I've bought probably 300-500 knives off Ebay. 50% excellent experience, 40% good or better experience, 5% fair and about 5% bad. I only collect vintage era knives and Ebay's one of the best sources for 'em. Watch, wait, determine what your willing to pay and bid. If you win fine, if you don't fine. Always take into account shipping cost and the form of shipping being used. Last year Ebay changed some of the terms being used for shipping. "Standard" and "Expedited" are generic terms and can mean anything from Parcel Post (9-11 days @ $1.50) to Priority Mail (2-3 days @ $5). When in doubt, ask. If a seller is charging $6+ for 1st class mail shipping which costs them about $2 to ship, then take that into account and bid accordingly. As far as pics go, if it's not so great (and time allows), I send a copy over to Photobucket and do some enhancements, most of the time you can improve what you can see by changing the lighting and contrast. Oh...and never under estimate the power of buying from non-knife people. Some of the best deals I ever made were from folks that had absolutely no idea what they were selling. :-)
Bill, Thank you and I'll give you a big AMEN. You hang around with us enough and you will eventually get into knives. And yes you are a good writer too.

Bill Harvey said:

Howdy Hog,

I'm not an knife guy.  Instead, I'm the group's token woodworker.  They guys -and a great bunch of guys they are-- let me hang around 'cause I write good, (?), and have opinions on displaying good stuff.  Good stuff like knives.

This being said, I don't but a lot of stuff on eBay anymore.  Used to buy and sell both, but now it seems to me that the published prices are a come-on.  By the time you add in (utterly ridiculous) S&H charges, the prices are as much as Walmart.  (I do occasionally but odd / old things Walmart don't carry.

Now I have to say I buy lots of books from half.com, and I think ebay owns them.  F;rinstance, I just collected up all the Horation Hornblower books and reread them for the first time sence my long ago and largelymis-spent youth.

(Can I get an AMEN on Hornblower?)

Bill

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
16 hours ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
16 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
18 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
18 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
18 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Saturday
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Apr 12
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John