Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Many people have a Rough Rider! What is your opinion?

Tags: collect, reasons, rider, rough, use

Views: 875

Replies to This Discussion

They are fun knives to use or collect so what say you?

I was at a table with one of my friends- Chuck Dintruff who is a custom knife maker. he was right accross the aisle from Lowell Bray's table. sorry i did not get any thing at the show- wallet would not allow it LOL

Jan Carter said:

Robert,

Yes I remember, I was very excited.  I got in the truck and told Donnie :Thats Robert Benton, he is on the site".  I looked for you at the show but didnt see you.  Did you pick anything up at the show?

Do I buy to collect or use? I say YES.....

Good knives, good quality, and very nice to look at to-boot......

Funny thing is I have noticed that more people ask about my ARMOR HIDE trapper from Rough Rider more then they ask about any other "brand" knife that I carry. 

One guy even offered to buy this trapper from me because he liked it so much! He said I should not be carrying it because it looked so good! LOL 

Interesting Steven, I think that Armor Hide is a big deal for them. OK Got you down for a both too!

Steven Matthew said:

Do I buy to collect or use? I say YES.....

Good knives, good quality, and very nice to look at to-boot......

Funny thing is I have noticed that more people ask about my ARMOR HIDE trapper from Rough Rider more then they ask about any other "brand" knife that I carry. 

One guy even offered to buy this trapper from me because he liked it so much! He said I should not be carrying it because it looked so good! LOL 

That armor hides a big deal to me too! Lol. Could never sell it!

Seems you may need to do another survey among those who buy to use and collect.  Perhaps a Likert Scale

5 almost exclusively collect

4 mostly collect

3 collect and use equally

2 mostly use

5 almost always use.

I said I use and collect but I'd be at 1 on the scale above.  I own around 90 Rough Riders.  About 10 have been carried at some point and of those ten, none have been carried on a regular basis.   Bottom line  is most of them look too nice to use, even if they did only cost $10-$20.  With the exception of a few knives, I put to the  test to see if they were really worth carrying, very few of my Rough Riders have cut more than a piece of paper.

I almost always carry Victorinox and used Camillus knives.

I bought my 4 rough riders, just because, I was craving for a mini coke bottle. got the 2 mini trappers as a second thought...

They are flashy , nice to look at, they have snap but all 4 were dull as a hoe out of the box.

Not as strong when you test the blades side to side as other knife brands I have.

But for the price , I have to say they at least satisfied my craving temporarily at least.

I got mine off amazon.com , because all of them was out of stock at SMKW!

pic's= http://www.iknifecollector.com/photo/albums/rough-rider-knives

That's odd Sue.  In all of 90 Rough Riders the only one not capable of shaving hair right out the box was the Hunters Buddy. (a small fixed blade mad in Pakistan).  I find them  as sharp as any Case knife and sharper than Bear & Son.  I actually have that same Swell Center Lime Green Jack knife.   Just tested it again. Took the hair right off my arm, and cut through heavy card stock like hot butter and easily whittled a  piece of pine nice and pointy.

Same one I got, won't even cut a napkin,,,thought about hot butter though....lol....mine must have got past the Inspector 10 for sharpening!

Tobias Gibson said:

That's odd Sue.  In all of 90 Rough Riders the only one not capable of shaving hair right out the box was the Hunters Buddy. (a small fixed blade mad in Pakistan).  I find them  as sharp as any Case knife and sharper than Bear & Son.  I actually have that same Swell Center Lime Green Jack knife.   Just tested it again. Took the hair right off my arm, and cut through heavy card stock like hot butter and easily whittled a  piece of pine nice and pointy.

That's so odd though...it makes me wonder do they ship that way for safety and then you sharpen them or do they just ignore the fact that people like a knife to be sharp out of the box?

Sue OldsWidow said:

Same one I got, won't even cut a napkin,,,thought about hot butter though....lol....mine must have got past the Inspector 10 for sharpening!

Tobias Gibson said:

I've bought RR from about four different online vendors, several ebay sellers and SMKW.  As I said my only one not razor sharp was a the pakistani made Hunters Buddy.  I tried stripping bark off a tree branch yesterday.  Absolutely worthless.  It really needs help.  All my traditional folders and my five or so other fixed blades were ready to slice, dice, whittle, or whatever. 

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
15 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
20 hours ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
23 hours ago
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20
J.J. Smith III replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service