Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

On other forums I've seen several people ask for sharpening tool recommendations in seperate threads or discussions.  People recommend what they like and use.    Then, a year later one of the recommendors makes another recommendation of different stones because of experimenting and playing around.  Does that make the first recommendation mute?  No, just a different choice usually.

So I figured if people who have definite opinions on their tools they can post here so anyone wanting recommendations can have a single place to start.  So here goes.

I have tried several different stones and systems in the past 5-6 years.  Especially in the past 8 months or so and have settled on what I am going to stick with and recommend to anyone wanting my opinion.  They can either spend the money on what I recommend or they can do what I did.  Spend hundreds of dollars trying different stones, systems, strops, compounds, etc.  To top it all off I have sold a stone to fund another type to try then ended up selling or trading it and buying another stone to replace the one I sold because I prefer it.  Sounds terrible doesn't it?  Well, I don't think it has been.  Now I have what I like and can resist the next recommendation to try a $100+ stone that I haven't used yet.  I believe with all my heart if a person wants a nice set of good (great in my mind) quality sharpening stones he/she can buy these and never buy another one.  He/she will spend in the neighborhood of $200 max.  These stones will sharpen any blade steel you can buy.  Forget about NOT being able to sharpen a knife with a blade steel hardness as high as Rc 65.  Most decent knife blades fall into the Rc hardness of 57-60.  Higher than that and the stones of lesser quality will require a long time to sharpen the harder steels.  And that can be a serious pain.

Here are my recommendations  (red are essential to get right away or very soon over time IMO. Blue can be one or the other, similar results.  I do recommend one of these though. If you are going to buy in seperate purchases leave one or both of these for last.  You may find the DMT fine grit is all you want or need to finish with.)

DMT (diamond stones)

coarse grit 6" or 8"

fine grit 6" or 8"

extra-fine grit 6" or 8"

If cost is not an issue I believe the longer stones are preferred but I use the 6" stones a lot for pocket knives.  Longer stones are easier for longer knives like kitchen and hunting/camping knives.

Spyderco (ceramic stones)

Fine grit 8" stone (Similar to the extra-fine DMT stone)

Ultra Fine grit 8" stone (extremely optional)  I have owned one, know what it can do and love it but can live without it.  Great performing stone though for the ultimate smooth razor edge on a knife.  I just don't need that type of edge.  I will get another one the next time a surprise bag of money falls in my lap. lol

A single site to order any of these is cutleryshoppe.com.  Best prices and customer service of any site I've dealt with.  There are a couple other good sites I like but none are "better" than this one and he has all of the things I mentioned above.

A big factor in my decision on what to use is cleanliness.  The diamond or ceramic stones can be used dry, no water or oil.  You can use water on the diamond stones and some prefer it but either way (wet or dry) is perfectly fine.

STROPS:

Should be another discussion but for starters I'd recommend the one on knivesplus.com.  It is about $25 I think and it works great. You never even need more compound.   If you want to get serious (or stupid lol) there are lots of other products that get VERY refined results.  Most of these ARE NOT CHEAP!  Also, unless you are really obsessive you will now have everything you will ever NEED.  If you WANT more, have fun. :)

Do you want a sharpening system?  I'll leave that for another discussion I think.  I have used the DMT aligner and Edge Pro Apex.  Aligner is very good, EP is great. The price indicates the performance difference very accurately I believe.  More on these later or in another discussion.

Views: 778

Replies to This Discussion

Do you always use stropping (trailing) strokes when using sandpaper?  I was wondering if you put the sandpaper on something hard like a piece of wood it would be more like a stone instead of a soft mouse pad which would be more like a leather strop.  Softer I mean.  I've heard of using the sandpaper system but never tried it.  I have used abrasive film like what comes with an Edge Pro and one thing about it is if you use push strokes you can easily cut the film.  I was wondering if this is a concern with the wet/dry sanddpaper.  Can you use push strokes if you are careful?

Stephen L. Corley said:

Steve when I'm at home, I start with 220 grit, then 600, followed by 1500, wet dry sandpaper. I lay them on a mouse pad or piece of packing foam that I sometimes salvage from work. If I need to sharpen at work, I use 220 grit alum/oxide then 40 micron sanding film followed by 15 micron sanding film. In both cases I use a stropping motion to sharpen. 

To answer your question, will it get them shaving sharp. Yes. It will produce a good shaving edge, even without finishing on a strop. 

As I said I do finish with heavy stropping. I bought a stick of 2x2 and cut it 16" long and rounded off one end for a handle. On each side I use contact cement at attach leather strips that I got from a hobby shop. I went to Lowes and got buffing compounds in 1, 3, 4, and 5. 1 is an emery compound. 5 is a jewelers rouge(sic). 

The difference in an unstropped edge and a stropped edge is noticeable. With testing the sharpness of an unstropped edge on paper, you can hear the knife cut through. When I take the time to properly stop out a knife, you can't hear a sound when cutting paper. In addition, if you look at the paper where it has been cut, the unstropped paper cut will show very fine hairs. In contrast, a properly stropped knife will leave no visible hairs, not even when looked at under a magnifying glass. 

What causes this difference? A 15x-20x magnifying glass will reveal the answer. Even at 1500 grit or 15 micron, honing leaves scratches on the surface of a blade. These scratches work like micro serrations. Instead of slicing through paper, they saw through it. Using a strop and stepping down in the compound will remove almost all of the micro serrations, leaving the cutting edge smooth. In addition, removing all the micro serrations helps the knife to stay sharp longer.

Incase anyone is wondering, laying the paper or film on a mouse pad or piece of packing foam will create a convex edge.

Steve Hanner said:

Stephen is that all you use to get shaving sharp on your knives?

I agree.

Alexander Noot said:

In my sharpening I've found that anything a big stone can do, a small stone can do just in more time.

The fact that they're not metal plates doesn't really matter since they're still perfectly flat. In fact, that's one of DMT's biggest claims. That ALL their stones are and stay flat.

For someone on a budget I'd still say, get an aligner set. You don't even need to use the aligner. But the three stones included will sharpen anything you want just fine.

Now if you're looking to spend more money that's always possible offcourse. But you don't HAVE to.

Jack, with the wet dry sandpaper you can use pushing strokes, if your careful. You would probably do better letting the edge of the paper over hang on the surface and turn down. This would prevent you from cutting into it.

OK I have tried about every trick in the book but the edges just roll. I believe I have a Parker/Frost knife from possibly the 70'2 or early 80's made in Japan. I can get the knife semi-sharp but nowhere close to usable. I believe the edge is just too thick. Any thoughts or suggestions?

When I was about 10 (1968) my Dad told me carbon steel gets and stays sharp longer but will rust if you don't take care of it (oil).  Stainless steel won't stay sharp as long but doesn't rust as easily.  At that point he left every knife decision (about blade steel) up to me when we would buy a knife for me.  That's all I knew until about 5 years ago. Now there are stainless steels that outperform even the carbon steels of 1968 as I understand it.  So, in the 70's I have no idea what the steel was like. Not one steel compared to another I mean.  I think probably a lot like some of the steels still used today because until I went out of my way to search for and buy knives with better blade steel (6 years ago) all my knives performed about the same regarding sharpening and edge retention. Good thing I have no plan to write a book of my experience in blade steels because I would already be done. lol 

So, it sounds like, in addition to the edge area being too thick the steel on your knife is just a softer steel.  This thought is based on the extensive knowledge (lol)  described above.  Even a thick blade can be sharpened to shave arm hair.  However the edge angles would need to be so high you'd have a hard time chopping a carrot or anything else thicker than a hair.  From the picture I'd suggest thinning the edge at the angle that appears to be in the shadowy area.  Looks like about 1/4 to 3/8" up from the edge.  Keep the bevel as flat as you can (no one can keep it perfectly flat) and as close to the same width along the edge.  Don't even try to touch the very edge with the stone.  Keep the spine close to the stone and use your thumb to control the angle.  Place your thumb on the top of the spine and lay the side of your thumb on the stone at the angle you want.  Then as you stroke the stone it's easier to control the angle based on the pressure you are putting on the stone with your thumb.  That's how I do it anyway.  This requires using "pushing away from you" strokes only.  No strokes by pulling the knife toward you on the stone. No trailing strokes (like stropping) either, not now.  When I decided to use this method it was hard because I was used to holding the knife only with my right hand and pushing for one side of the edge then pulling the knife toward me for the other.  That method makes it harder to keep the angle the same on both sides.  Of course all these different methods are performed either as lousy or skilled as the sharpener has cared to make them through practice.  Or no practice. lol  This re-prodiling will take some time based on the stones you use and the hardness of the blade steel.

My thoughts may not be accurate without seeing the knife of course.  If you want you can send it to me to mess with.  I'm no professional sharpener but enjoy playing with this stuff.  If it would help you be assured I'd enjoy doing this.  Of course getting the thing in good shape yourself is much more "fun".  :)  Hope this helps and good luck.

Steve Hanner said:

OK I have tried about every trick in the book but the edges just roll. I believe I have a Parker/Frost knife from possibly the 70'2 or early 80's made in Japan. I can get the knife semi-sharp but nowhere close to usable. I believe the edge is just too thick. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Jack I just might do that. It is funny despite the somewhat poor handle, it has the feel of a somewhat hefty knife. the guard is substantial. Its just a shame it was not finished out in something better.(The lion is a dead giveaway to the age I think) 

Absolutely back in late 70's and early 80's we had nowhere near the choice of  steels and that said, Japan at that time was probably a great spot to make knives inexpensively. 

Anyway there may be some hope for it...someday, fully sharpened and fitted with a sheath it might be a fun retro piece!

Ivars,

That is a great point about the cost involved in the sandpaper method.  Stones last better and cost less per knife to sharpen with

Steve, try sharpening the knife backwards. Pass it on the stone, top of the blade first. Still holding your correct angle. This will stop a poor steel from rolling.

I'd like to echo the recommendation for strop man strops.  I don't have one but have seen the site.  Before I saw that particular site I heard the idea and made my own from a 2x2.  I carved a handle at one end, glued leather to 4 sides and applied different compounds.  Mine looks like a home made one with not too much concern for appearance. lol  So after the cost of my material and compounds I probably had as much into mine as the pretty ones you can get from the strop man.  I have made other strops also.  Big ones, little ones, different leathers (cow, horse, kangaroo) and after playing with all of them I use my strop bat most.  Kangroo wasn't a joke.  Without compound it is the BEST material I've used for an ultimate smooth razor razor razor edge on a knife with good blade steel.  Some steels seem to only get so sharp no matter what tools you use.  Anyway, a strop bat for about $35 is a wise investment I think.  I might make another one but make it pretty just for fun.  Need something to do to keep me out of the bars. :)

IvarsDay said:

Hey! Thanks for recommendations! 

About the leather strops! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! STROP MAN LEATHER STROPS! Have one and will buy more, because they are the best! About the stones. I have three stones what I use. 

800grit (composit for 3$)

3000grit

4000grit / 6000grit polished arkansas

Two leather strops

Stropman double sided: coarse/fine (compounds)

Own custom made with extra fine compound for finishing polish.

But if honestly than some years a go I was using just a block of wood with sandpapers 600, 1500, 2500 and if I could find 3500 grits + one leather strop and I was getting absolutely the same as with the stones! Just with stones its much cheaper! Sandpapers cost 6$ and you can sharpen just some two - three large knives and than they get unusable. 

thank you Robert and I did try that method as well, ain't gettin anywhere fast! Lets see wht this knife will do in Jack's hands! Plenty curious about the outcome and maybe he might just hang on to this 70's relic!

Robert Burris said:

Steve, try sharpening the knife backwards. Pass it on the stone, top of the blade first. Still holding your correct angle. This will stop a poor steel from rolling.

Steve, got the knife in the mail today.  Worked on it a bit.

Click on the link below to view a video.  This is the first time I've put a video on a forum. I wanted it to play here but it opens a photobucket tab.  New to photobucket.  Sorry.

http://s800.photobucket.com/user/jackknifeh/media/Cuttingvideo_zps1...

I'll get it in the mail back to you in a day or two.

Jack

Steve Hanner said:

thank you Robert and I did try that method as well, ain't gettin anywhere fast! Lets see wht this knife will do in Jack's hands! Plenty curious about the outcome and maybe he might just hang on to this 70's relic!

Robert Burris said:

Well that sure is sharper than what I could put on it!  What are your thoughts on the knife?

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
1 hour ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
2 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
18 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
23 hours ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service