Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Fly Fishing Knives seem to be the premier Gentleman's Knives of the Great Outdoors. As I have never fly fished, I was completely unfamiliar with the pattern when I bought my first Fly Fisher.  I bought it simply because it looked cool and had "faux ivory" handles.  I think what makes the Fly Fisher a Fly Fisher is  is the straight pin and the scissors.  These are used when making lures.

The one below is very basic yet elegant.  It was made in Sheffield probably in the 1960s or so.  Stainless implements with brass liners, pins, and bail.  The handles are ivory linen micarta.  As with so many of the Eurpopean camp knives, the corkscrew is their for after the fishing is done.  My guess is fresh grilled trout and perhaps a good Mosel would be on the dinner menu

Views: 1225

Replies to This Discussion

These are nice, Tobias. It's probably true, a man can't pull just any old knife out to clean his scrimshaw pipe. It looks to me that the makers of your example weren't trying to fool anyone. They built a knife that could be appreciated. 

Tobias Gibson said:

The other Gentleman Knives that i think fit the bill of Great outdoor knives are the small fob and pen knives with hunting scenes on them.  I was unaware of them until about five years ago when I came across the knife below.  This one is a unbranded Chinese made knock-off.   I've been trying to get a Boker original since buying this one.  Some day I will luck-out.

I can't imagine doing much with these little knives, short of using for small chores around a Bavarian hunting lodge.

Hi Toby. Here are a couple of Boker knives with outdoor scenes. Similar knives were made in France recently as well. The French knives have a bottle opener/screwdriver attachment rather than a small pen blade.

Very sweet looking pieces!! They would be a fantastic addition to anyone's collection.

I love those, I'd love to have one. It seems all the bird hunters get all the respect. Us rabbit and squirrel hunters, get no respect...lol

Those are absolutely fantastic, Smiling-Knife.  I love them.   I agree with your comment Robert.  Need a squirrel/rabbit hunter knife.    Enough with the bird & trout, already!

You guys must be VERY fast with a camera. I know you can't take your hands off of these knives for too long.

Tobias Gibson said:

Those are absolutely fantastic, Smiling-Knife.  I love them.   I agree with your comment Robert.  Need a squirrel/rabbit hunter knife.    Enough with the bird & trout, already!

I have a brass knife, it's an Air Plane..lol....The good thing about it is it's a 1960's Remington.

I am waiting for a Sheffield Fisherman, it's shaped like a tooth pick, with the hook remover blade. It will be the first one, I ever owned like that.

Here's my Remington airplane from the 1960s. It's not exactly a fishing knife unless you taking an airplane to get there. Lol

Neat Knife Robert

That's a keeper, to use a fishing term. Kinda ironic that Scandinavian Airlines once used a knife to advertise, This Remington would be a nice addition to a Scandi collection. Hmmm....

Robert, about the airplane knife.... it appears that the wing and tail are used for a bottle opener.  Is that the case or is the knife too small for that?

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
15 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
20 hours ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
23 hours ago
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20
J.J. Smith III replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service