Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

If you've spent any number of years around knives, whether it be just using one, or as an avid collector of the sharp, shiny things that grab a hold of so many, then you've probably seen a few Imperial brand knives and chances are good you even have a couple hiding out in a box somewhere.

They have filled the garage sales and flea markets for years, being sold and peddled for mere pennies at a time. These knives are, cheap. But, when was the last time you saw an American made product that actually worked sell for a reasonable price? Sure, you can bring home a Case sodbuster knife for around $20.00, but for that you could own a couple dozen Imperial knives. Of course the factory is closed now, so, anything you get is going to have a little age to it.

Super thin carbon blade, thats about standard for these knives. A thin metal like material is the handle scale and often times there is no shield. Not exactly the most beautiful of choices when buying a knife, but again, they are cheap and they work.

An Imperial knife wasn't made for a rich man, it was made for an every mad. 

So everyone, lets see your Imperial knife.

Tags: Imperial, Providence, R.I., USA

Views: 28169

Replies to This Discussion

That's a nice one Billy!

Sweet piece,.Billy

that sure is Billy, it cleaned up well!

A little coating on this one, but the blades are good and they re-sharpen so its got a new life!

Anyone have a model number for the Imperial USA Swiss Style knife:

Tang Stamp is: Imperial (Crown) / Providence R.I. / USA.  I think it dates from the 1970s or early 1980s. The handles are wood grain Delrin.   Its an economy model probably sold in clam packaging or off of cards.

This fish knife is my second Imperial (both US).  I recently got it by sticking in the minimum bid on eBay.  When I received it, it was pretty rough.  All I have done so far is use some Goo Gone to remove crud and put a little WD40 on the hinges.  The blades now snap open and shut.  After I get some Simichrome or something similar, I think it will look pretty good.  I think I am going to have a pretty nice knife for $7.95.

Nice work, Charles, 

My Imperial fish Knife is one of the Irish made one.  I need to get a USA

Steve Hanner said:

A little coating on this one, but the blades are good and they re-sharpen so its got a new life!

I just found one exactly like yours in a bag of stuff from my grandfather. Was given to me because it was considered "junk" by family.  Treasure to me!  I don't know much about imperial-anyone know what the "DE" is for?  there was also a mini folder stamped "latama italy included in the so called junk bag. I gotta wonder if he picked it up in Italy during his cruise during WW2

Tom,

I think it is for Diamond Edge

Goins says Shapleigh Hardware used the Diamond Edge trademark from 1864-1960.

DE is Diamond Edge/  Original a TM of The Shapleigh Hardware. for the top of the line Keen Kutter knives.  It was bought by Imperial and again used on some of the better USA made  Imperial knives at first. Then when Imperial began producing knives in Ireland, the DE was slapped on some of the better made Irish knives,  However please understand that "better" is a relative turn.  I just got another near mint DE (Ireland)  knife.  This one is similar to their Matterhorn  knife and I do think the quality is better.  Need to get some pictures up.  (Hopefully this week-end.)  This is the view from the eBay listing.  Still need to find the pattern number. (I've removed the chain)

This Imperial fixed blade has been laying in a tackle box for years. I found it laying along side the Monongahela River while fishing one day. I recently rediscovered it whill going through some things. I found it before the dreaded knife collecting bug bit me. Now I'm cleaning it up to add to my collection.

Nice story Chuck. I have a question for ya'll Imperial knife buffs. We have Imperial knives made in the USA and we have Imperial knives made in Germany. My question is are they the same company, that made knives in two different countries or two different companies in two different countries?

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
9 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
10 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service