Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I think we need to get a jump on this, so those people who have to plan ahead to purchase one can do so.

Let us discuss and then lockdown a pattern/design, get it priced out and ordered. Buying a knife around the winter holidays is difficult for everyone.

My vote is for a jack/mtnman/barlow-esque pattern Large (or Medium)

Stag/Bone/Burl wood

One/two blades

I would prefer Carbon blades, but an exotic SS is fine.

Views: 4480

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Just to muddy up the waters even more, I would suggest the following Canal Street swell end jack.  I have one of these and the jigging is really unique. I have one and it is a really nice knife that is well made.  I believe it cost a little over $100.

http://www.soonerstateknives.com/CSC-2135522-Canal-Street-Blue-Rope...

Club Knife:

(Just my 3 cents worth) Inflation.
First, WHO, is your club?  Who are the people?
Second, WHY, a club knife. If more than one reason, list % of the reasons.
Third, PRICE, of item. A very simple thing, the higher the price, the less people buy.
And that has nothing to do with a knife, it is simple economics.

Some thoughts:
1. If for collectors, than something, or a configuration, or a combination of materials, that is very unusual, and finished to a high state of perfection, (for looks).  Price of little importance. Lowest amount sold.
2. If for users, Something that Is used and carried every day, by most people. Price point low. Highest amount sold.
3. For Both, (The hardest to do, and looking at what has been done, and the posts about what wants to be done, it looks like this is the direction) It is a very hard row to hoe, to satisfy both extremes. (Kinna like getting a 2/3rds vote in Wash D.C.). Something that is price pointed, and something that appeals to a collector?  Sure am glad I, am not doing this !!!!!!!

OK, My ‘vote’.  GEC, HayenHelper, But, with a unique materiel on the handle to satisfy the collectors.  (Ok Ok, I Know, that’s, 4 cents)

Suggestion--a little maple box with a hard maple burl handled knife inside

the club emblem lazered on the box lid with the year 2013

A permanent print on inside of top lid of the box:

A picture of a pilot in hi-alt flight suit, firefighter in duty gear, a law enforcement officer, and a United Nations soldier

"In honor of the armed forces, police and fire fighters who daily lay their lives on the line for us"

Maybe have Jan's signature under the inscription--her choice on this one.

If we get a general concurrence on this, then we just have to choose the knife to go under the burl.

What 'cha think, ladies & gents?

Not so exotic it can't be used but classy for display and the main expense will be in the quality of steel--maybe with a little engraving--where the main expense should be.

We honor the military, several times a year, with the "Wounded Warrior Project" . The discussion here was about a IKC knife of the year for users and collectors. I am not sure where the idea came from to honnor our service people but thats a great idea for another project. The project we have before us is a club knife for IKC. The idea of honoring Miss Jan, instead of all the other great causes of humanity, was that her and her husband [Donnie] purchased IKC and kept it going for all of us knife people. She didn't ask for membership dues or any other payment to have the privelge to belong to this great club. I thought, it would be nice to honor her, this first year of ownership, but if there's other ideas , well okay.

I'm disappointed but not surprised.  You missed the point, Robert.  The Wounded Warrior Project is something entirely different.  And I was responding to Jan's last suggestion, I believe, just offering more detail and asking if she'd sign for the club.  Like I said, only those that have been there...  But I appreciate your involvement in the Wounded Warrior Project to aid those who have been wounded that our country does not take care of sufficiently.  Thank you.

Robert Burris said:

We honor the military, several times a year, with the "Wounded Warrior Project" . The discussion here was about a IKC knife of the year for users and collectors. I am not sure where the idea came from to honnor our service people but thats a great idea for another project. The project we have before us is a club knife for IKC. The idea of honoring Miss Jan, instead of all the other great causes of humanity, was that her and her husband [Donnie] purchased IKC and kept it going for all of us knife people. She didn't ask for membership dues or any other payment to have the privelge to belong to this great club. I thought, it would be nice to honor her, this first year of ownership, but if there's other ideas , well okay.

Great Moose, Ivars, thanks. But I can read "Vintage Knives" on the tang, which IMO one could translate as "rather expensive". Have you got any idea of the cost?

Ivars Duntavs said:

No comments on all what you wrote guys!

How about this?

Just put a stag or striped burl wood handles and make a different personalized shield. iKC etching on blade and bam! Knife is ready! Great knife 4" handle! Large blades!

Thanks for the link. After reading the description, I would say: not TOO expensive at all!

peter force said:

here is the link to the MOOSE listd below. http://www.vintageknives.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jmro...

Perhaps I'm reading this ad wrong, but the knife is a one off run not to be repeated and sold out.  Seems we are to late to this party.

Your correct it is sold out.  It is one of those pieces we could contact the maker for but unless they are doing a run of them it costs the community to do set up.

Ivars, I have that Schatt-Margan [Queen] Rail splitter Moose, it is one of my best in that pattern. One idea I have is after a decission is made on the pattern, we could look for the knife brand that does the best job on that pattern.

I understand the sentiment for both the "Made in USA" and the "international club" concepts. The knives' country of origin is important to dealers and collectors the world over. I had the privelege to accompany a group of students to Europe this summer and decided to collect a knife from each of the three countries we visited to add to my collection. In France, I was talking to a dealer about a brand featured on a tourism flyer I had picked up, and he said he would not carry that brand, popular as it was, because some of the parts were made in Italy and transported across the border to be assembled at the factory in France.

In a similar vein, I have also begun collecting some newer reasonably-priced tactical knives that are sold by some of the several brands located here in Oregon, but which are made "overseas", and found them to be of decent quality but it's still a little bit disappointing when I read that stamping "Made in (ABCDE)".

Perhaps the caveat should be that the knife we choose should be made within the borders of the home country of the manufacturer.

Howard P Reynolds said:

Thank you Robert for reminding us that other countries make wonderful knives. Solingen knives are world famous, and I always wanted to try a French laguiole.  Like Frank (nibs), I picked up a couple Pumas while in Germany back in the 80s

Robert Burris said:

Hold on guys and gals, this is a world wide club. We need to be a little more sensitive, about knives made in other countries. I can understand that some members, born in the USA, are proud of the knives made here. We are an international club and I am sure the members from countries other than the USA, are just as proud of their knives as we are. We all know, that there are cheaply made knives from one country or another. Yep, I'll bet there's some cheap ones made in the USA. It's great to be proud of the country, you are from but, we can't as "Americans" run down all knives from other countries. I hope, I didn't upset anyone. This is a "Discussion", so lets hear others opinion.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Lars Ray replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
9 hours ago
Jan Carter left a comment for Andy Larrison
11 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison posted events
22 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
22 hours ago
Dennis Hibar replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
yesterday
George R Naugle posted photos
yesterday
George R Naugle commented on Scott King's group Vintage American Knives
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Tuesday
Jan Carter replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
Monday
Jan Carter commented on Michael Lee Bibbey's status
Monday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Monday
Monday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Sunday
Saturday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
Friday

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service