Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I'll start with an easy one- You probably all have seen this tang stamp or a variation there of on a Remington knife- What does UMC stand for??

A little tougher one- What famous author mentioned a particular style knife in two of his most famous works and helped make the knife famous ?? Name the author and / or the knife ??

Views: 4340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

survival knife......bowie

John McCain said:

New trivia challenge-- What knife is often credited with saving the United States of America and who owned it???

John, not the Answer you're looking for  but I stumbled across this while looking for it and thought other might find it interesting.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Kasal

See also:  http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/08_WOT/nc_kasal.html

Hmm... Jim Bowie's Iron Maiden? 

Okay, a couple more hints--- Do not focus on the type of knife--Focus on the famous person who owned it, and the sentiments attached to the knife when given to that person--- A reminder of those sentiments  in a time of crisis, helped shape USA history !!

The Bowie knife didn't even save Texas, a Mexican possession, so for sure it didn't save the USA regardless of the "Remember the Alamo" when they charged at San Jacinto. Primarily, no one, repeat no one, knows what either of Jim Bowie's famous knives looked like.

John, your question of What knife is often credited with saving the United States of America and who owned it??? Is unanswerable primarily due to being so vague.  I have scoured the Internet, my knife books, my history books and have come up with basically zilch, nada, bupkis, zero.  There are knives associated (and displayed in museums) with George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Paul Revere, Benedict Arnold, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, Teddy Roosevelt but not of any significance and certainly never saved the country.  The only other time frames of conflict were WW1 (Wilson), WW2 (FDR & Truman), Cold War/Vietnam (Kennedy/Johnson) and there's no references to knives.

You win!!!!!  You get to keep the prize and offer the gazillion points anon.

I'll offer this in rebuttal:

What gun is responsible for the deaths of millions of people?

AK-47, naturally. :-) 

Shlomo, sorry if I was being obtuse-- The original question came as posted from Bruce Voyle's book "The International Blade Collectors Association Price Guide to  Antique Knives" 2nd edition--page 190--I might add, you were correct- It was George Washington and the event was Valley Forge--The story--George's half-brother had arranged a commission  for then 11 year old George in the British Navy.George's mother refused her consent and George followed her wishes. Pleased, his mother ordered the finest pen knife she could obtain from Sheffield along with the advice "Always do your duty,and obey your superiors." George always carried the knife and shared the experience with others at Valley Forge.-George became depressed watching his starving troops whose pay was also late and decided the country would be better off with someone else in charge-He called his officers to his cabin,and read his written resignation- Disappointed all the officers left, except General Knox, who reminded him of the words of his mother--He said " You have accepted the trust of the American people and they have not commanded you to give up,until they do it is your duty----Washington said "Enough, recall the council." He retained his command and history was made.The original pearl handled knife now resides at the Arlington, Va. National Masonic Lodge Building where Washington was the first Worshipful Master. 

Mea Culpa -- the question should have read what one gun was responsible for the deaths of millions.

Unscramble these names of knife manufacturers (without looking them up online):

1: DOCL ELSET

2: RHEWASK

3: RNOITAO

4: AELTEHMNRA

5: XINRTOIOCV

6: KBEOR

7: EDBCMNEAH

8: RGEREB

9: DYCRPSOE

10: CBKU

I will help get you started with an easy one:

1: DOCL ELSET

2: RHEWASK

3: RNOITAO

4: AELTEHMNRA

5: XINRTOIOCV

6: KBEOR

7: EDBCMNEAH

8: RGEREB

9: DYCRPSOE

10: CBKU = BUCK

Cold Steel

Kershaw

Ontario

Leatherman

Victorinox

Boker

Benchmade

Gerber

Spyderco

Buck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Lars Ray replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
8 hours ago
Jan Carter left a comment for Andy Larrison
10 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison posted events
22 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
22 hours ago
Dennis Hibar replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
yesterday
George R Naugle posted photos
yesterday
George R Naugle commented on Scott King's group Vintage American Knives
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Tuesday
Jan Carter replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
Monday
Jan Carter commented on Michael Lee Bibbey's status
Monday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Monday
Monday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Sunday
Saturday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
Friday

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service