Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Above is my Rough Rider Marlin Spike knife in White Smooth Bone The Scrimshaw work was done by TX Force O'Brien.  The scene is the Mermaid of Warsaw. (more on that knife later!)

---

I think it is the idea of traveling around the globe is what brings a certain mystique to the sailing knife. When I come across an old sailing knife I try to imagine who might have used it, where they may have gone, what they may have been through. When getting a new one I wonder where it may go, what it might be called upon to do and how other like-minded souls will put it through its paces and test the steel of its blade and spike. The sailing knife just seems to naturally exude adventure and daring unlike that of any other knife.

What is a sailing knife? It is a knife designed for use onboard a boat or ship, especially a sailing vessel; with a primary purpose to cut line, untie knots or any other day to day job while at sea. Most people are familiar with the Marlin Spike knife or the folding riggers but there are several other knives that were made for use on board boats and ships or by people who spend their lives on or around a body of water. The sailing knife goes by several names, some you may have heard, while others may seem obscure.

Most of the modern folding sailing knives, often called a marlin spike knife, can trace their roots back to the British Pattern 6353/1905 clasp knife that was adopted for service use in 1905. This was a large frame (almost 5 inches/ 120 millimeter) knife with a large spear blade, small punch and very intimidating marlin spike. Surprisingly the knife was used by all branches of the British military on land, sea, and later air!

The 6353/1905 pattern knife is itself similar to early rigging knives used in the 19th century.  A smaller frame pattern which has become a standard pattern used by many American companies is a variation of this 6353/1905 that was adopted for American Maritime service in 1942.  It has changed very little since the adoption. Still other versions were adapted and modified for the civilian market.   Over time new steels were introduced and ergonomics and the sailor’s needs further tweaked designs.

Despite the adaptions one thing remains universal with most of the folding marlin spike knives; the familiar Z pattern the knife make when the main blade and marlin spike are moved to the half open position. And while some companies continue to churn out the tried and true traditional patterns, other companies do nothing but try to perfect the perfect sailing knife!

Let’s see some sailing knives!  It doesn’t matter if they are folding or fixed, with or without the Marlin Spike.  If you have a knife that was made for use at sea, show it off!

Views: 10827

Replies to This Discussion

Jim,

No I have never worked on a tall ship but have sailed and have worked on other boats.  And you will not get an argument out of me over fixed blade versus a folder in any circumstance (on land, sea or air!).   A fixed blade wins in every category except the amount of space it takes up.  And there is no doubt in my mind that if you are must have a folding knife, you will want one that can be opened and closed with one hand -- and hopefully that is just your back-up and not your primary cutting tool especially on a rolling sea or in a compromised situation!

That said, folding sailing knives have come along way in the last couple of decades and that is because they are now being designed and made by sailors instead of by knife companies that make primarily hunting/fishing/land use folding knives or still make sailing knives based on 100 year old government contract designs.  The old Camillus marlin spikes look great but they would not be my first choice for even a secondary knife at sea!  Interesting, enough the companies that specialize in sailing knives tend to make both fixed blades and folders!

However, any sailor will tell you a fixed blade rope knife with a separate marlin spike is better than pre-broken folder.

Incidentally, when the Tall ships come to Chicago, I will often talk knives with the crews to find out what they carry.  Many simply have a Swiss Army Knife or a leatherman in their pocket.  The most common sailing fixed blades that are carried (if carried at all) seem to be  Grohmann, Myerchin,  and Linder.  The Grohmanns are D.H. Russell design very similar to the  Canadian Belt Knife and they do have a point!   Grohmanns are used by the Canadian Coast Guard.  Myerchins by the U.S. Coast Guard.

Hope this helps, Jim.

Thanks to Tobias. Leave it you to have a video addressing the questions I asked exactly. Great video, very informative. I was already looking at that new bamboo Camillus, so nice to know it is up to snuff so to speak.

Tobias Gibson said:

Syd asked:

"Are these as hefty and substantial as the Camillus? I'm feeling a "I need more of these" tingle in the addictive areas of my mind, I think I must have MORE!!."

I will have to say no.  While the knives are well made and look great, they are not going to take as much of a beating as the old Camillus knives.  They are extremely sharp,  and have a decent enough marlin spike but there are more solidly built  ones in the same price range.  If you're looking for one that is as hefty as the the old Camillus 697 I would suggest the Colonial 1757 Ranger.  While  the knife is a little crude it is solid as a rock.  But ti will cost two to three times that of a Rough Rider!

A better option might be  the Camillus Ti Marlin Spike with bamboo scales.  It has a titanium-nitride coated AUS8 blade and marlin spike.  The blade can be opened with one hand and features an excellent liner lock.  Not to mention the pressure treated bamboo looks awesome!  They also run in the $30-$40 range.

I'll get some photos and more info up on these and others as time permits.  In the meantime below is my comparison of the old Camillus and the new Bamboo Ti Camillus

Below is the first of my truly modern marlin spike knives. It is a the P300SL Sailor's Tool by Myerchin. (It has been copied by Fury -- I have both)  I received both of them as birthday presents some years back and both have been used quite a bit.  The primary complaint that people seem to have is the spike comes open to easily.  I have not experienced this problem as I use both of them with the sheath provided as I don't care for belt clips.   The Myerchin comes in three finishes, Red, Blue and Silver.  The Fury in Black.  Both feature aluminum scales, liner locking "sheepshead blade" and the curved spike and the pliers.  The Fury lacks a belt clip.  Both use 440C stainless for the blades.  The Fury goes for around $15 and the Myerchin $33. While the Fury is pretty good, the the extra $18 you spend on the Myerchin will be well worth the investment unless you tend to lose knives within a year or two.   It has a better finish, better tolerances, a smoother action and seems to hold a better edge despite both flaunting 440C steel.  Both knives are made in China and both are worth the asking price!  I think I know what my next video is going to be on! 

Both blade and spike can be opened and closed with one hand and separate feature liner locks.

At five inches, closed, the  knife is an  impressive size.  The Sheepshead blade is serrated and approximately 2 /12 inches.  It is thick and can take a pounding.  It is designed more for synthetic instead of natural lines or cordage. The sheepshead blade is a Myerchin original.

I thought the wicked curve on the spike looked cool but assumed it wouldn't work that well. For me, it is just the opposite.  This is my got to knot picker.  I loved a spike would good curve.  It doesn't spin around.  This one is especially ergonomic.

The spike also acts as a lever for the pliers.  It does take some getting used to but they work quite well once you get the knack.  Still, it isn't as good as regular pliers. (just like a folder isn't as good as fixed blade!)

I love the fish head look when the knife is all closed up!  You can see the knife has a good size belt clip for those who like them.  Most people use the bail to help keep the spike closed. Again I've not found the spike to be a problem - yet!

Front side with Myerchin Whale engraved on the anodized aluminum handle

All this talk about marlin-spike knives dragged me to the Myerchin site last evening to see what I'm missing.  You guys caused me to buy this.  I told my wife it's your fault; expect angry letter.  ---Bryan O

Tobias Gibson said:

Below is the first of my truly modern marlin spike knives. It is a the P300SL Sailor's Tool by Myerchin. (It has been copied by Fury -- I have both)  I received both of them as birthday presents some years back and both have been used quite a bit.  The primary complaint that people seem to have is the spike comes open to easily.  I have not experienced this problem as I use both of them with the sheath provided as I don't care for belt clips.   The Myerchin comes in three finishes, Red, Blue and Silver.  The Fury in Black.  Both feature aluminum scales, liner locking "sheepshead blade" and the curved spike and the pliers.  The Fury lacks a belt clip.  Both use 440C stainless for the blades.  The Fury goes for around $15 and the Myerchin $33. While the Fury is pretty good, the the extra $18 you spend on the Myerchin will be well worth the investment unless you tend to lose knives within a year or two.   It has a better finish, better tolerances, a smoother action and seems to hold a better edge despite both flaunting 440C steel.  Both knives are made in China and both are worth the asking price!  I think I know what my next video is going to be on! 

Both blade and spike can be opened and closed with one hand and separate feature liner locks.

At five inches, closed, the  knife is an  impressive size.  The Sheepshead blade is serrated and approximately 2 /12 inches.  It is thick and can take a pounding.  It is designed more for synthetic instead of natural lines or cordage. The sheepshead blade is a Myerchin original.

I thought the wicked curve on the spike looked cool but assumed it wouldn't work that well. For me, it is just the opposite.  This is my got to knot picker.  I loved a spike would good curve.  It doesn't spin around.  This one is especially ergonomic.

The spike also acts as a lever for the pliers.  It does take some getting used to but they work quite well once you get the knack.  Still, it isn't as good as regular pliers. (just like a folder isn't as good as fixed blade!)

I love the fish head look when the knife is all closed up!  You can see the knife has a good size belt clip for those who like them.  Most people use the bail to help keep the spike closed. Again I've not found the spike to be a problem - yet!

All this talk about marlin-spike knives dragged me to the Myerchin site last evening to see what I'm missing.  You guys caused me to buy this.  I told my wife it's your fault; expect angry letter.  ---Bryan O

>>

What color did you buy?

My wife would be mad too, if I had one that is. I found myself surfing Myerchin's site too, but I've blown my budget for the month, so I'll have to wait. And hey, don't blame me, it's Tobia's fault.

Since I don't (won't) own a knife that I don't use and carry, I've been carrying the Camillus Marlin Spike I obtained this past weekend. I found a small carabiner that fit through the bail, which allows me to clip it to my belt loop and slip it into my back pocket. I hardly notice it back there, and the bail still releases the spike just fine with the carabiner attached. Now if I ever have to spike a marlin I'll be all set!!

Bryan OShaughnessy said:

Tobias Gibson said:

LOL Bryan...letter expected soon and well worth it!!!

Syd said: "Since I don't (won't) own a knife that I don't use and carry,"

Ah I remember when I used to say that -- about 450 knives ago!  Now I have many knives that will never be carried  simply because I've collected all sorts of Swiss Army Knives, Scout Knives, Marlinspikes, Mushroom Knives, Toothpicks, Military Fixed Blades, etc.  Some were only $5 or $10 others close to $100.  Some are old and beat up and others are mint or near mint!  It isn't the price that prevents me carrying the knife. It is simply the need for the knife.  Some knives occasionally get to ride around for a day or two or go camping or fishing but the knives in my pocket,  tackle box, bug out bag, or car trunk rarely, if ever, change.

I wish I could just buy knives I plan on using!  I'd have a lot more jingle in my my pocket!  The need for me has always been to explore the types of knives and compare how they were made and evolved over time and also to make a great display.  Some folks display old fishing lures, or lighters or Van Gogh's.  I display, photograph, and review knives!  And when the chance arises I use them and also pass them along!

And Syd also  said: "Now if I ever have to spike a marlin I'll be all set!!"

You might never find that marlin to spike but you just might find a knot to untie or a piece of wood that needs scribing!

Well, I just can't justify purchasing anything that I don't have a need for, a result of being raised by Depression era parents I guess. Though I have a lot of knives, (not as many as you I'm sure), I can't afford to buy one just to "collect" it, though if I had the extra money to do so I most probably would. I admit that I don't necessarily "need" 30 knives, but I justify their purchase by finding a way to carry and use all of them at one time or another. Plus, the walls of my apartment are covered with family tools that my father, grandfather, and great uncles used, and I treasure them because they were held by those hands, not because they are old and collectible, (though many of them indeed are). I'm supposedly retired now, but I still carry at least two knives on my belt, and one or two in my pockets every day, (I rotate them from day to day). I may not use every knife often, because I do have favorites, (my Russlocks for example), and I carry those most often, but I make a point to work every knife into the rotation at least once a month. When they are eventually handed down in the family, they will all have been used and carried by me many times. That means something to me. I actually avoid buying "special edition" or commemorative knives for that reason. I wouldn't be able to resist putting them in my pocket to use them, thus reducing their appreciation in value, so I leave that type of "collecting" to others.

Like I said before, to me a knife is a tool, and like all mechanical, useful things, tools fascinate me.

Tobias Gibson said:

Syd said: "Since I don't (won't) own a knife that I don't use and carry,"

Ah I remember when I used to say that -- about 450 knives ago!  Now I have many knives that will never be carried  simply because I've collected all sorts of Swiss Army Knives, Scout Knives, Marlinspikes, Mushroom Knives, Toothpicks, Military Fixed Blades, etc.  Some were only $5 or $10 others close to $100.  Some are old and beat up and others are mint or near mint!  It isn't the price that prevents me carrying the knife. It is simply the need for the knife.  Some knives occasionally get to ride around for a day or two or go camping or fishing but the knives in my pocket,  tackle box, bug out bag, or car trunk rarely, if ever, change.

I wish I could just buy knives I plan on using!  I'd have a lot more jingle in my my pocket!  The need for me has always been to explore the types of knives and compare how they were made and evolved over time and also to make a great display.  Some folks display old fishing lures, or lighters or Van Gogh's.  I display, photograph, and review knives!  And when the chance arises I use them and also pass them along!

And Syd also  said: "Now if I ever have to spike a marlin I'll be all set!!"

You might never find that marlin to spike but you just might find a knot to untie or a piece of wood that needs scribing!

Syd said:

"Like I said before, to me a knife is a tool, and like all mechanical, useful things, tools fascinate me.'

(and a whole lot more.)  And this time the divergence within this thread is all my fault!  I'd like to move it to the General Knife discussions as it fits better there!  and it is definitely worth discussing. I know we've had similar discussions on this topic in the past! 

to get back on topic of the marlinspike pattern:

The marlinspike knives are not just for sailing! The knives are great for anyone who works with ropes.  Myerchin even discusses how they’ve been used in Alaska when climbing Mount McKinley! 

I learned to rappel when just a kid in high school and was teaching others how to rappel by the time  I was a freshman in college. I continued to teach rappelling as well as how to build rope bridges and other such stuff  for many years after college. (I still regret not having the chance to go to Air-Assault School but I had to choose between it and Airborne School!)

When I first learned and taught rappelling we weren’t using fancy web harnesses. We made our own rappelling seats from a 12 foot length of ½ inch nylon rope. I can still make the seat with my eyes closed; I’ve done it so much!     Back in the day, I normally had a Camillus camp knife for most cutting chores and an old knitting needle to pick knots! 

My wife and kids can attest that if I see a knot in a rope or a string or just about anything, I become obsessed with getting it out of the line. (This happens all the time with the cloth strips used in Church hymnals to mark pages.  I can’t leave the pew until the knots are out!  LOL)

I digress.  Had I been more knife savvy back then I would have had a marlinspike knife.   If I were to teach or go rappelling today, my knife choice would be a one hand opening marlinspike knife such as those offered by Myerchin.   I suddenly want to go make a rope bridge!

How about a video of making a rope bridge while demonstrating the proper use of a marlin spike? That's a video I would watch; you should do it!

It's only a matter of time before I get myself a Myerchin Marlin Spike, they look very well made; a fine addition to any collection. Thanks for feeding the addiction Tobias.

. I understand the purpose of the spike, and why it locks and is so robust in it's construction, (at least on the Camillus), but there are other patterns originally made for cordage workers too aren't there? I read that the elephant toe/sunfish frames were originally made for working with rope, but the spike on a marlin spike is.there specifically to deal with knots; correct? Seems like having that big old sharp spike sticking out would violate that elusive rule stating that no pointed blades are allowed on ships. Someone coming at me with a big spike like that could possibly be as deadly as a pointed blade IMHO, so that contradicts the theory about a regulation banning pointy knives somewhat if you ask me.

All this nautical talk, and mentioning of tall ships, has me wondering when those ships will be here again. We usually have one or two whistle-stop along the CA coast every year, and they always stop in Morro Bay for tours and such. Next time they do I'll go down and ask what knives they are carrying just to see what they have in their pockets, and see if any are actually using marlin spikes.

Show us how to properly use a spike for knots?

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Lars Ray replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
1 hour ago
Jan Carter left a comment for Andy Larrison
3 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison posted events
14 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
14 hours ago
Dennis Hibar replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
18 hours ago
George R Naugle posted photos
yesterday
George R Naugle commented on Scott King's group Vintage American Knives
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Tuesday
Jan Carter replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
Monday
Jan Carter commented on Michael Lee Bibbey's status
Monday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Monday
Monday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Sunday
Saturday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
Friday

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service