Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Above is my Rough Rider Marlin Spike knife in White Smooth Bone The Scrimshaw work was done by TX Force O'Brien.  The scene is the Mermaid of Warsaw. (more on that knife later!)

---

I think it is the idea of traveling around the globe is what brings a certain mystique to the sailing knife. When I come across an old sailing knife I try to imagine who might have used it, where they may have gone, what they may have been through. When getting a new one I wonder where it may go, what it might be called upon to do and how other like-minded souls will put it through its paces and test the steel of its blade and spike. The sailing knife just seems to naturally exude adventure and daring unlike that of any other knife.

What is a sailing knife? It is a knife designed for use onboard a boat or ship, especially a sailing vessel; with a primary purpose to cut line, untie knots or any other day to day job while at sea. Most people are familiar with the Marlin Spike knife or the folding riggers but there are several other knives that were made for use on board boats and ships or by people who spend their lives on or around a body of water. The sailing knife goes by several names, some you may have heard, while others may seem obscure.

Most of the modern folding sailing knives, often called a marlin spike knife, can trace their roots back to the British Pattern 6353/1905 clasp knife that was adopted for service use in 1905. This was a large frame (almost 5 inches/ 120 millimeter) knife with a large spear blade, small punch and very intimidating marlin spike. Surprisingly the knife was used by all branches of the British military on land, sea, and later air!

The 6353/1905 pattern knife is itself similar to early rigging knives used in the 19th century.  A smaller frame pattern which has become a standard pattern used by many American companies is a variation of this 6353/1905 that was adopted for American Maritime service in 1942.  It has changed very little since the adoption. Still other versions were adapted and modified for the civilian market.   Over time new steels were introduced and ergonomics and the sailor’s needs further tweaked designs.

Despite the adaptions one thing remains universal with most of the folding marlin spike knives; the familiar Z pattern the knife make when the main blade and marlin spike are moved to the half open position. And while some companies continue to churn out the tried and true traditional patterns, other companies do nothing but try to perfect the perfect sailing knife!

Let’s see some sailing knives!  It doesn’t matter if they are folding or fixed, with or without the Marlin Spike.  If you have a knife that was made for use at sea, show it off!

Views: 10824

Replies to This Discussion

Beauties Tobias, and the Sponge Bob (Squarepants) lanyard seems totally appropriate for a nautical knife to me.

I have some smallish scrap planks of Bubinga, and also some Wenge, (similar properties, but much darker, almost like Ebony). They are left over from my musical instrument technician days, and I have saved them with the thought that I might use them, (or sell them), to be used as knife scales. There is actually enough to make quite a few scales, though not enough left to make an entire instrument with. In the musical instrument world, Bubinga and Wenge are considered among the best of the "tone" woods, with Bubinga being the favored wood to replace the now-endangered and banned Brazilian Rosewood. It is often referred to as "African Rosewood".

I love the look of it on that knife, hopefully it is still used on the current generation of Myerchin nautical knives.

Syd said "I love the look of it on that knife, hopefully it is still used on the current generation of Myerchin nautical knives"

Syd, the Gen 2 is the current production.  It appears they use use cocobolo on the larger fixed blades and Bubinga all the folders. 

Numerous companies today make a variation of the VN21307  British Army Clasp Knife.  This is the knife that replaced the 317 pattern clasp knife.  This all stainless steel knife is commonly called the Three Piece Army Knife, however it is used by all branches of service.    The version below is the Genuine British Army Knife and is made in Sheffield England.  The same knife is sold to both  military and the civilian market.  That said , I believe a military issued would probably still have the Arrow proof mark somewhere on the knife. (I have not been able to verify is this is still the case).  I have several versions of the knife but the one below is the "Genuine British Army Knife"  (The knives are also known as the "Oil the Joints" knife as the tangs are stamped as such!)   I'll show some of my other Stainless Steel Riggers Later.

The handles on the knife have a nice brushed satin finish to them the blades are nicely polished 440 Stainless!  Note the flathead screwdriver which is part of the very thick center full center liner on the knife.

None of the blades or the spike lock.  However, the springs are very strong and there is absolutely no play or wobble in anything!  While the knife lacks a shackle key, the can opener can be used successfully as an opened ended key.

Pattern: NATO: VN21307
Origin: New Style British Military Knife,  replacing the #317 knife
Manufacturer: Sheffield Knives
Closed Length: 3 ¾ inches
Blades: 4
       1) Sheepfoot - 2 ½ inch
       2) Marlin Spike -  3  inch
       3) Can opener (oil the joints)
       4) integrated screwdriver

Blade Steel: Stainless Steel (Mil-Spec, 440 or equivalent)
Handle: Stainless steel
Shield: none, see notes for handle stamp
Pins: Stainless steel
Liners: Stainless steel
Bail: Stainless Steel
Bolsters: None

Thanks Tobias, now I want one of those too!!

Me too Syd!!

Syd and Jan,

If you're looking for a very affordable and well made Marlin Spike that is similar to the British Army Knife below, several companies make similar ones.   One of my favorites is the Maxam Sailor's Multi-tool.  You can normally get them for under $10. They do have one minor flaw.  (see the video)

One side has two inch ruler engraved. 

The knife has three layers, can opener, shackle key and sheepfoot blade. 

The opposite side has a 5 centimeter ruler.  As with the British Army Knife, nothing locks but the backsprings are pretty strong.   The blade is also quite sharp and holds an edge much longer than I ever anticipated for such a low price.   I suspect the steel is either 420HC or 440A

Cool video, even had Parrot Head background music, (Jimmy Buffet for the uninitiated)! Found the Maxam on the bay for just under $10 shipped, while the BAK indeed came in around $40 like you said, with other BAK versions starting around $25, (fewer functions = less cost). I'm still eyeing those Meyrchin spikes too. I saw a rare listing for an older Buck Marlin Spike on the bay last week, but it went for way more than I was willing to pay, so I stifled myself and let it go. Sure would like to add one of those to my herd though, but I suppose I'll eventually get a Myerchin or a Maxam instead.

Thanks for the video Tobias!

Syd, Patinece is your friend whenit comes to Ebay.  the Kabar and the Buck Marlinspikes are always showing up.  It is just  matter of time and you will eventually get one at a price you're willing to spend. (Either that or you stumble across one at an estate sale or flea market.

I have one of the british military style made by Rodgers back in the '70s. I saved my birthday money and bought it from the Brookstone catalog. Its developed a loose main blade though, doesnt click open firmly. I guess I used it alot. Sorry no picture though its up in the family summer camp. I didnt even sail when I bought it, I just liked that cool spike, lol

I have the  Rodgers  Challenge Yachtsman.  Mine is pretty solid.  I bought it used and have not used it much since buying it.  I did use the Maxam for some time and it is had held up quite well.

I'm pretty impressed with my Yachtsman.  It seem extremely well built and finished bor a stainless steel knife.   Of course it is not a practical as a knife you can open and close one handed and nothing locks in place!

Here is my JR 4009 Challenge Yachtsman.

note the shackle key cut into the front scale.

Pattern: JR 4009 Challenge Yachtsman.
Origin: Civilian version of the British Army Clasp Knife
Manufacturer: Joseph Rodgers
Closed Length: 3 ¾ inches
implements: 5
       1) Sheepfoot - 2 ½ inch
       2) Marlin Spike -  3  inch
       3) Can opener
       4) integrated screwdriver
       5) integrated shackle key
Blade Steel: Stainless Steel (Mil-Spec, 440 or equivalent)
Handle: Stainless steel
Shield: none,
Pins: Stainless steel
Liners: Stainless steel
Bail: Stainless Steel
Bolsters: None

Syd Carr said:

...Due to some color variation in the handle, (see closeup photo), and not being especially knowledgeable about this frame, my initial impression was that the handle could possibly be bone, but according to what I have read it is actually Delrin. Perhaps someone can confirm that for me too... 

Syd... I have the same knife, and the indentation pattern on the handle is exactly the same, so it's machine made. Must be delrin, not bone... Bob

Found another Marlin Spike today, a Camillus non bolstered version to go with my bolstered one. Still looking for both of the CC-made Buck versions, but at least I have one of each of the Camillus models. Obviously well used, there is a divot out of the master blade, but we can't have perfection in everything, so I'm just happy to now have examples of both versions. Mechanically the knife is in good condition, and after a session on my work bench this one will be more presentable. Paid a whopping $7.50 for it; works for me.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
8 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
9 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service