Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

We're looking for classic or western style Bowie Knives but just not all growed up!

We're thinking knives that have:

1) A clip point blade under 8 inches (20 cm)  long, between 1.5 -  3 inches (38-76 mm) wide and 1/8- 1/4 inches (6-13 mm) thick.

2) a handle that is between 4-6 inches long providing a comfortable hand grip and not too strangely shaped

3) a full cross guard

You know!  the all around traditional  general purpose fighting/hunting knife! Something like the knife below:

Above: Appalachian Bowie, 7.5 inch clip blade, full brass guard, full hidden push tang, elk antler grip.

Handmade by me. The pommel sports an old cuff link from when I was kid. Blade was a 440 C blank bought online

Modern Bushcraft, Upswept Skinners, Guthooks, and Drop Point Hunters need not apply. We'll start new discussions for those!

Views: 3266

Replies to This Discussion

Now that's a knife, Shlomo!

Just another one of my small Bowies, this one made by Utica Cuttlery but marked Sport Champ. Im not sure of the age but ots in nice shape. Does anyone know if Sport Champ was labled for a store, Uticas were usually called Sportsman.

This is more of a miniature Bowie but at 3 7/8" it can also be called a small Bowie. Made in good ole USA but no makers stamp. Enjoy

Sweden -- Stefan Åberg Ebony Gent's Bowie 5.25 in

SWE - Stefan Åberg Ebony Gent's Bowie 5.25 in

Tim Hancock Spearpoint Bowie 7in

Tim Hancock Spear Bowie7

I think this might qualify as a small bowie, it's within a half inch of the parameters set above. My father's Kinfolks K380, (8.5" w/ 4.25" CV blade, stacked leather 4.25" handle, full(ish) cross bar). He told me he bought this in 1926, though I have only seen it in catalogs from the 30's, see this link: http://kinfolksinc.com/catalogs/LV-1939/lv1939page3.htm. However old it is it is my most cherished possession. I still have the original leather sheath, but I retired that to preserve it, and got a modern sheath to carry it in nowadays. This has been my huntin'/fishin' knife literally all of my life, and I make a point to carry it at least once a year. It, along with it's family history, will be passed down to my grandson when he comes of age. I know it's pushing the limits of the stated parameters above just a little bit, but it's the closest knife I have to that description, hope that's ok for inclusion in this thread.

Some nice Bowies guys! Keep adding them I love looking.

My father gave this knife to my aunt many many years ago (before I was born).  He was part of the flight crew with the USAF had had picked the knife up in India. My aunt found in chest a few years back and gave it to me. It is just one of those inexpensive souvenir knives, probably dates from around 1955 or so.  It's around 7.5 to 8 inches in overall length.

Nice one Tobias, neat story too. The blade looks like the very early bowies. 

That is as close to being a Bowie as Hell is to becoming a ski resort and pigs fly.

The pattern has been around for thousands of years prior to Bowies grandparents being conceived.

Indo-Persian Khanjar Knife c.800CE (replica)

Image result for mughal swords and knives

17th Century Moghul dagger

Yep but today almost any big blade clip point knife is called a bowie (little "b")  No doubt Jim Bowie didn't invent the Bowie, but a his name has become synonymous with the legend and knife pattern style has been attached to his name

Actually lets be Honest Jim Bowie His design was nothing new... Except perhaps the Soft Metal (copper/bronze) insert on the spine.... The "blade design" was one of the many Fighting Knife designs around for 10,000 years.....

Shlomo ben Maved said:

That is as close to being a Bowie as Hell is to becoming a ski resort and pigs fly.

The pattern has been around for thousands of years prior to Bowies grandparents being conceived.

Indo-Persian Khanjar Knife c.800CE (replica)

Image result for mughal swords and knives

17th Century Moghul dagger

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
14 minutes ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
1 hour ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
17 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
22 hours ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service