Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

The stockman pattern was a folding knife pattern developed specifically for the American cattle industry by Sheffield Cutlers.  These earl Cattle Knives were made on large cigar  (equal-end) frames and had between two and four blades. The primary blade on early stockmans was a spear blade.  The number two blade was most often a sheepfoot.  These blades were considered essential for the cattle industry.

They were normally mounted at the top pivot of the knife.  Often one or two other blades were mounted on the opposite end.  These most common blades were the spay, the leather punch, or a simple pen blade.  Overtime the spear master fell out of favor and was replaced with a clip blade and the three blade configuration of Clip master and Sheepfooit at the top and either Spay, Punch or Pen on the bottom (with the spay being most common) became the standard.  What fell out of favor, however was the large cigar shaped frame.  Indeed, today Stockmans are found in a number of sizes and a variety of frame shapes.  What makes a Stockman a Stockman is truly the blades and the way they are arranged.

Above: W. R.Case & Son  4 1/4 inch  75 Pattern Stockman with 113 production year shield.  

The Stockman is an extremely diverse family of knives and remain probably the most widely used of any traditional pattern knife and probably the second most collected pattern . 

As mentioned, the Stockman normally has a clip (or Spear) master blade, a Sheepfoot, and third Spay blade on the opposite end.  The Main blade rest in front of the two secondary blades and works on its one spring.  The two secondary blades are nestled behind the front blade, sharing a spring. The sheepfoot is normally closest to the main blade when folded and the spay dropes between the handle and sheepfoot.

Occasionally you’ll run across a two blade Stockman.  These are normally called Cattle knives.  They will normally be on cigar frame and have a clip or spear blade in front and sheepfoot or large pen in back.

Another popular pattern of Stockman has a leather punch in place of the spay blade.  I’ve seen this  type of Stockman  referred to as the Cattleman Knife, a Cow Punch, and a Saddle Knife.  It often also just called a Stockman with Punch!

Another popular variation replaces the spay blade with a pen blade.  These are often called a Middleman, Journeyman,  Wrangler,  and Drover.

I’m sure many of these alternative names were given to Stockamn variations developed by Knife makers.  For instance the Middleman  was a name given to a  3.5 inch Stockman with a pend blade that was  made by Schrade.

Among Stockmans, the Sowbelly is probably one of the most popular models.  It is basically a very thick serpentine handled Stockman  ranging from 3.5 to 4.25 inches in the closed position.  It will typically have a clip, sheepfoot, and spay blade.  Some stockman collectors only collect Sowbellys!

Regardless of the style, size, size, or shape –let’s see some Stockmans!

Views: 3153

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing Doug and thanks for educating me. I now know that style of clip blade is known as a Turkish clip!

Leo,

I dont blame you.  I prefer the little ones also.  But either way, it is such a timeless pattern!

Those are very cool. I like the shield on those too. Very nice knives here. I have a few that fit in this category.

I don't know much about Case knives, but I sure like that yellow serpentine stockman. The clip blade sure looks like it came from a muskrat. I like that. Maybe it's the same as the turkish clip, but the swedge cut looks a little more pronounced. Maybe a Case collector will educate me on that knife. 

Doug,

I believe you are right.  That appears to me to be a California clip, the same blade used in a rat

Jan,

Thank You for that info..In the Schrade Handbook of Knife Knowledge and Terms that pattern is simply called a Skinning Blade. I've been collecting for about 6 years and Schrades are the only knives I have some knowledge about. I'm sure enjoying this site...more diversity.

Here's a Stockman for you, a Buck #303 Cadet made in 1966-67 by Schrade. As near as I can determine from the exhaustive "Tofft" database, (a 300 series history by a guy named Tofft), this is version 2, variation 1 of the Schrade-made versions of the 303, (1964-66 version 1's were the only with lined bolsters, and are even rarer than this version). There were later variations made from '67-'72 by Schrade, but as near as I can tell from my research this was the immediate successor to the original lined version variety. The differences between this knife, and later Camillus-made 303's from '72-'86 are very noticeable when they are compared side by side, I'll post a comparison thread in the Buck Collectors Group comparing those versions, but here I'll just feature my newly acquired, very early Buck #303 Cadet. This is the earliest Buck 300 series knife I have ever seen in person, and one of the earliest Stockmans that Buck ever produced.

This one is characterized by brass handle pins, a slimmer design, and a slightly different master blade profile than Camillus-made versions. The only stamp on this version is "BUCK MADE IN USA" on the master blade, with no model number and no stamps on the pile sides of the blades, version 2 variation 2 had "BUCK' also on the pile side, (but still no model number). Starting in 1972 all Camillus versions included a model stamp. This one shows obvious "pocket wear", and if any of you know me you know that I really appreciate a knife that has been well used.

The third photo shows two Scrade-made, and one Camillus-made #303. They are top to bottom in chronological order, (Schrade 1966-67, 1967-72, Camillus 1972-86). You can clearly see the difference in the master blades & differences in profile in the third photo. The Schrade versions both have the sheepfoot blade which ride rather high in the frame, visible over the top of the master, Camillus versions sheepfoots rode lower in the frame and are "hid" behind the master blade, (photo 3, bottom). Modern Buck-made versions have yet another grind altogether that doesn't resemble these at all, personally I prefer these older versions.

Syd Carr said:

Here's a Stockman for you, a Buck #303 Cadet made in 1966-67 by Schrade. As near as I can determine from the exhaustive "Tofft" database, (a 300 series history by a guy named Tofft), this is version 2, variation 1 of the Schrade-made versions of the 303, (1964-66 version 1's were the only with lined bolsters, and are even rarer than this version). There were later variations made from '67-'72 by Schrade, but as near as I can tell from my research this was the immediate successor to the original lined version variety. The differences between this knife, and later Camillus-made 303's from '72-'86 are very noticeable when they are compared side by side, I'll post a comparison thread in the Buck Collectors Group comparing those versions, but here I'll just feature my newly acquired, very early Buck #303 Cadet. This is the earliest Buck 300 series knife I have ever seen in person, and one of the earliest Stockmans that Buck ever produced.

This one is characterized by brass handle pins, a slimmer design, and a slightly different master blade profile than Camillus-made versions. The only stamp on this version is "BUCK MADE IN USA" on the master blade, with no model number and no stamps on the pile sides of the blades, version 2 variation 2 had "BUCK' also on the pile side, (but still no model number). Starting in 1972 all Camillus versions included a model stamp. This one shows obvious "pocket wear", and if any of you know me you know that I really appreciate a knife that has been well used.

The third photo shows two Scrade-made, and one Camillus-made #303. They are top to bottom in chronological order, (Schrade 1966-67, 1967-72, Camillus 1972-86). You can clearly see the difference in the master blades & differences in profile in the third photo. The Schrade versions both have the sheepfoot blade which ride rather high in the frame, visible over the top of the master, Camillus versions sheepfoots rode lower in the frame and are "hid" behind the master blade, (photo 3, bottom). Modern Buck-made versions have yet another grind altogether that doesn't resemble these at all, personally I prefer these older versions.

I was aware that Schrade had made the 303 for Buck in the 60's  but I had no idea of the history of that pattern, or the variations.  It has been said that Schrade made knives, they didn't worry about paperwork. I know that a lot of work was traded back and forth between Camillus and Schrade. Albert Baer "Uncle Henry" owned Camillus, separate from his holdings of Imperial Knife, which later became Schrade Walden. 

Looking at the last picture, I would have to say that just from the swedge cut on the master blade, the Camillus would get my vote.

"I was aware that Schrade had made the 303 for Buck in the 60's  but I had no idea of the history of that pattern, or the variations.  It has been said that Schrade made knives, they didn't worry about paperwork. I know that a lot of work was traded back and forth between Camillus and Schrade. Albert Baer "Uncle Henry" owned Camillus, separate from his holdings of Imperial Knife, which later became Schrade Walden. 

Looking at the last picture, I would have to say that just from the swedge cut on the master blade, the Camillus would get my vote."

I've been told that by 1972 the Schrade-made knives were beginning to be returned to Buck for repair to the point that it was obvious there was some design flaws in their versions, something to do with the method by which they attached the blades inside the frames if I remember correctly. That caused Buck to give the contract for eventually the entire 300 series line to Camillus, who slightly redesigned the series. They in turn made the entire series until 1986, when Buck began to take back some of the production, while Camillus kept production on some models up until around the turn of the century.

According to one Buck "guru" I conversed with, to collect all versions and variations of the CC-made 300 series would entail more than 35 different knives. I'll be happy with a "basic" set of them, which were the CC-made models advertised and sold by Buck: 301, 303, 305, 307, 309, 311, 315, 317, 319, 321. Other models were made as SFO's, (Special Factory Order), and never sold by Buck themselves. I have three to go to have that basic, Buck-sold, CC-made set, (not all versions however). I need a 315 Yachtsman, (three versions made), a 317 Wrangler, (two versions), and a 321 Bird Knife, (two versions), to have one of each of the CC-made models, (not counting SFO's).

Personally I think the CC-made knives were the best slipjoints Buck ever sold.

Schrade used the Swindon system, exclusive to Schrade, for assembling a large percentage of their knives...a type of keyhole assembly... When a knife blade became "loose"...side to side wobble...the only remedy was to take it apart, drill, and re-assemble with a pin through the bolsters. That is what makes refurbishing a Schrade very difficult. 

That's right, you obviously know your cutlery history. I saw close up photos and a description of that system on either BF or AAPK, probably the thread on BF I posted above on 300 series history. The one I have is pocket worn, but works fine, and the blades seem tight, though the spear blade does kinda feel gritty when opened, despite being oiled. I suspect it might be wanting to fail eventually. The CC version of the 303 I have is very sturdy, works perfectly, and is on my EDC rotation, but I think I'll retire this SC version to the knife stump where I display my knives to keep it from wearing out. Like I said, I like to carry and use my CC-made Bucks, but I just wanted this SC knife just to have one, and wanted to be able to point out the differences between the versions.

Great info Doug, thank you.

Doug Webber said:

Schrade used the Swindon system, exclusive to Schrade, for assembling a large percentage of their knives...a type of keyhole assembly... When a knife blade became "loose"...side to side wobble...the only remedy was to take it apart, drill, and re-assemble with a pin through the bolsters. That is what makes refurbishing a Schrade very difficult. 

It was probably the same video that I watched. Swindon eventually became vice president of Schrade. The only person, that I know of, that works on Schrades with the swindon system is Herman Williams, Schrade's in house customizer for 24 years. He has re-handled and customized many of my Schrades. At 78 he hasn't lost a step. Here are some Schrade stockman knives he recently did for me.

Syd Carr said:

That's right, you obviously know your cutlery history. I saw close up photos and a description of that system on either BF or AAPK, probably the thread on BF I posted above on 300 series history. The one I have is pocket worn, but works fine, and the blades seem tight, though the spear blade does kinda feel gritty when opened, despite being oiled. I suspect it might be wanting to fail eventually. The CC version of the 303 I have is very sturdy, works perfectly, and is on my EDC rotation, but I think I'll retire this SC version to the knife stump where I display my knives to keep it from wearing out. Like I said, I like to carry and use my CC-made Bucks, but I just wanted this SC knife just to have one, and wanted to be able to point out the differences between the versions.

Great info Doug, thank you.

Doug Webber said:

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
11 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
16 hours ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
20 hours ago
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20
J.J. Smith III replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service