Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I recently picked up 4 old T29 Electrician pattern knives. Two branded Colonial are 3 bladers, a 2 blade Imperial and a Mint Schrade 2 blade.

The Schrade is going to my son for Christmas (he is an auto electrician) One of the 3 blade Colonials will be restored - gently - and left as is. The other two have become project knives.

This weekends progress with one of the Hawkbill blades becoming a sheepsfoot and the overall knife reduced in size slightly.

Note the 'Henry Boker' Pliers

Views: 831

Replies to This Discussion

Mike, D ale and Charles - Thank You!

In the final shaping of the covers the border around the checkering will go; or most of it will, but I am hoping it will still look okay.

Wow I agree they are stunning!!!

The Project continues ... gluing up the covers on knife number 1 (for extra security) while waiting for that to set I've moved on to the sheepsfoot Barlow using the end of the checkering panel utilized on knife number 1.

Only been able to grab the odd hour here & there over the Christmas break but some progress made.

At the point now where some gentle sanding and tidying up will bring these up to polishing stage. Pretty happy with how these are coming up a couple of minor mistakes on the Barlow (The whole process is a learning curve for me - but very enjoyable!) The Larger Knife has brass bolsters & pins the Barlow has bronze bolsters but had to use a brass pivot pin as I don't have any Bronze. On the subject of the larger knife I have no idea of what pattern/style this would be referred to (?) Can someone enlighten me please?

It is 6.30 pm New Years eve here in Aussie as I type this - so Cheers! and Happy New Year. Derek

Well New Years has come and gone for you it is 730PM on the 31rst here.  I hope your New Years was as good as those knives turned out!!!  PS...I think it is a jack :)

"PS...I think it is a jack :)" That's what I thought too Jan ... but there are so many different styles etc I wasn't game to stick my neck out.

Derek .. I believe it's simply a single blade "Regular Jack" ..maybe , perhaps.. a "Swell End Jack".

The result is pretty remarkable. I personally prefer the one where the checkering "points" toward the blade .. when open. Both are SWEET !!!

Seeing your result here has interested me in attempting to checker linen micarta. The research states results are "ragged" .. i.e. not clean & smooth surfaces result as in wood ..but.. rough & fibrous in comparison. Never been one to accept the general consensus.

I picked up a couple diamond coated conical (~30 deg) rotary cutting bits .. think end mill that comes to a 30 deg point. I've a small mini mill & rotary table. And .. would you believe .. small scraps of linen micarta from previous projects. I'm going to give it a shot.

Will post results .. good or bad.

Thanks for the motivation !!!

Derek Wells said:

On the subject of the larger knife I have no idea of what pattern/style this would be referred to (?) Can someone enlighten me please?

Dale,

OK, I can wait to see that, give you a little time to work it out........are we there yet?????

Set-up started & ready to give it a go ..BUT.. it's currently about 40 deg in the garage. Will need to warm it up just a bit before I get started. Will likely do a scrap of desert ironwood while set up .. for comparison.

Jan Carter said:

Dale,

OK, I can wait to see that, give you a little time to work it out........are we there yet?????

Check here for results.
Play on words intended.

D ale said:

Set-up started & ready to give it a go ..BUT..

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
6 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
8 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
23 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service