Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

A few of us have been clamoring about knifes that we would like to see. Johnny Two Shoes would like a peanut and a traditional whittler. I would like a scout/utility knife and a traditional whittler. What would you folks like GEC to make next? I'd like one of those spiral cut Red Buffalo Horn Whalers too while we are wishing for things (but that is an existing pattern). I was looking at some of the camp/scout/utility knives that I already have by Camillus, Ulster, Utica, Western (see my photos if interested) and it would seem to me that GEC could make one like these fairly easily (yeah it's easy for me to say) out of their current #53/#54 frame. It might be hard to incorporate the corkscrew that I wanted in our "Gone Camping" discussion in this frame but those folks at GEC work wonders! I have an older Boker Camp knife (see my pics) that has all of the bells and whistles but it doesn't really match any existing patterns and is a beast of it's own.

So what do you all think? I'd be interested in suggestions of new knives and also the scales that you'd like to see on them.

Views: 2679

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Johnny,

We really need to start a campaign for that camp knife

johnny twoshoes said:

Jan is correct,

I do know of Bullwinkle and Rocky. : ) It has been a while since I've seen them on TV though. 

I would love for GEC to make a smaller lock back that had an extra non locking blade. Kind of like those old Gerber stainless knives. I think GEC could really make an excellent knife like that. Also, I'd like to see a bail on something soon, like a camp knife. : )

The Whaler main blade is a slicing machine.  Its wide , its very thin, and with that  tall full flat grind it cuts  like very few blades can. I use it all the time for mostly food prep. Potatoes, bacon, chicken, fruit or anything that needs to be cut up for cooking or eating. It also can do firestarting duties, with the fine cutting edge making nice fuzz sticks for kindling.  In addition, despite its size, the wide flat frame rides well in the pocket, either front or back.

I can't imagine any sort of smaller blade that would not be in the way of a proper grip. The swell center design lends itself well to a comfortable hand position, and anything that would press into the hand would disrupt that. I have a large locking blade swell center knife that is similiar, but without the smaller blade, and its probably the most comfortable handle design out of all the some hundred knives I currently own. It does not cut as well as the Whaler though, having a very stout blade, almost 1/4" thick at the tang.

As for handle choices, stag would look nice but I think it would make the knife too thick overall as stag slabs do usually tend to be more than a bit fatter then say wood or bone. Maybe some old school greenbone or real redbone, not the stuff you see today, but genuine potassium permanganate dyed like in the old days. If you have ever seen an early greenbone Case you know what I mean.  My Whaler has ebony slabs, and they look good with the blade starting to develop a nice patina. Has the look of a knife that your grandfather would have carried 100 years ago. Maybe some nice black Gabon ebony scales would look good.

I do like those classic swing gaurds !

I personally would love to see a lockback whittler .. and while I'm @ it .. let's make the locking main blade a wharncliff .. in classic stag !!!

I'd settle for jigged bone or nice natural wood scales.

David,

Certainly sounds like that Whaler is a great user!  Maybe we will see a single blade version come thorugh, I know we would get one.  As for the old greenbone, THAT would have to be one of my all time favorite bones.  The older that bone gets the better it looks.  It just seems to mellow and get a deeper risher version of its original color.  Thanks for sharing the info with us

I love those old swing guards also, just a classic pattern with clean lines.  As for the whittler, I am in for anything with a wharncliff.  For such a young company GEC has sure brought us some wonderful pattern choices so far.  Looking forward to whats next

D ale said:

I do like those classic swing gaurds !

I personally would love to see a lockback whittler .. and while I'm @ it .. let's make the locking main blade a wharncliff .. in classic stag !!!

I'd settle for jigged bone or nice natural wood scales.

I would think that the Hogan could make a pretty fine swing guard. I got my son a S&M swing guard double edge spear blade in stag and the stag was so nice I hated to part with it. I know that GEC could improve on the S&M design since these guys were involved in it at S&M. I like the lockback whittler idea, S&M did one of those a few years back too. In keeping with Luca's ideas for larger versions of the same patterns, I would like to see the Conductor enlarged to 3 3/4" to 4" with a clip main blade and pen and coping small blades with  split back springs making it a true whittler. I would prefer as Johnny said that GEC take it slow with pattern development so we collectors can keep up. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly larger #25 Barlow Jack. I know that the current one fits in the hand pretty well but it is a tad on the small side even compared to other knife makers. I am still hoping that GEC will come out with a camp/utility knife similar to the Camillus engineers knife used in WWII but I am a bit worried about it's possible price after the recent Cuban Castros came out. With all of those blades/tools it could get a bit pricey. That knife would have to get some field testing!!!
Does anyone know if they make a large swell center jack? I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. Sorry if it is not.

As good a place to ask as any Lee.  I beleive the closest you'll get is the #23 Pioneer

thanks Jan I'll take a look.

I would really love to see GEC come out with some type of swing guard pattern. Hmmm...A genuine stag swing guard would just be sweet! I would also like to see them make some type of large gunstock pattern.....Oh Yeah, a old school cotton sampler would be cool too!! 

Seth,

Did you know they made a cotton sampler for a company named Krack a Jack? 

No Jan I didn't. Wish I did because I would own one cuz that pic you sent is Sweet! I knew about the Krack a Jack line but I've never had a chance to buy any of em. If you ever come across one of those cotton samplers for sale remember me. That's the only GEC off brand I don't own at least one of. But Thanks for the info. Now I'll probably have to go on a crazy sleepless treasure hunt to try and find one. LOL!!

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
17 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
19 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Apr 21
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service