Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

left to right:

1. Rough Rider Sleeveboard Whittler in Black Pearl
  2. Case Seahorse Whittler in Sawcut Bone
  3. Rough Rider Swell Canter Whittler in Yellow Comp

A famous knife expert (who shall remain anonymous) claimed in his book that the Whittler is not a true traditional pattern but simply a pen knife that knife companies have opted to call whittlers for marketing purposes.  After all you can whittle wood with just about any knife!  This may in fact be technically true but if you ask people who collect whittlers what a whittler is, they will give you a very succinct description of specific knife!

While it is true Whittlers are type of pen knife  and that they come in all shapes and sizes, it is also true that with very few exceptions they all share some very specific traits.

First, the whittler features three blades with the primary blade being a large blade located at one end of the knife and two smaller secondary blades located at the other end.

Second, the large main blade, when closed, will drop dead center between to the two smaller blades at the other end.

Third, the knife will normally have two back springs, with each of the smaller blades being held in place with its own spring and the main blade getting tension form both back springs.  This allows the blades to by straight in the handle when closed and opened with minimal, if any blade rub.

The reason the blades are arranged in such a fashion is so that there will be less stress when on the blades when whittling and it also gives more tension on the big blade.  In short it reduces the risk of blade play.

As for the exceptions – well there are canitlers, half-whittlers, and then that stockman style Boy Scout Whittler that come to mind. And in every case, these knives were designed for the purpose of whittling.

Typical blades found on whittlers, are the ever popular Coping , Pen, Wharncliffe, and Clip for secondary blades.  For the primary blade the Clip, Spear and Wharncliffe lead the field however you will see the occasional sheepfoot.   All of these blades are found on whittlers because of their wood working potential.

The wharncliffe is an excellent choice because it can scribe, ream and shave with the best of them.  The clip and spear excellent for shaving and reaming  as is the pen .  Coping and sheepfoot blades are good for shaving wood and scribing but not as good when it comes to reaming. 

Yes there are other knife patterns that are often associated with whittling but these particular knives were designed with whittling in mind! Thus is a stockman was designed to be used for Cattle work and Trappers were designed for use in the trapping industry, then it is somewhat pretentious of a knife expert to say a whittler is just a pen knife that has been given a name for marketing purposes.

So let’s show of our Traditional Pattern WHITTLERS and tell the expert what we think of his opinion!

Views: 3543

Replies to This Discussion

I'm going with the Seahorse, Tobias.  It has the blades that i prefer, the size is nice for prolonged use and its comfortable in hand.  

I like the slight downward tilt of the Wharncliffe blade, makes it feel more natural in use.

If you can find one in pocket worn, theyre super nice yo hold and use.  Got a couple of mine that I've sanded and polished the edges of the scales, for comfort.
Tobias Gibson said:

J.J  there is no doubt, you are the Whittler's Whittler!  What whittler do you feel is the best all around whittler?

I normally like to post multiple images of one knife but in the case of my Three Rough Rider Canoe Whittlers, I think I'll post them as a set.  I love these little knives; even though they are somewhat impractical in size!  Despite their dainty size that many of the hallmarks of much large knives. What really impressed me was the split back-springs!  This is a feature that is almost unique to whittlers but I really did not expect it on whittlers this small.  The blade options are also quite nice! 

RR311: Red Jigged Bone

RR383: Orange Smooth Bone

RR836: Pink Lemonade.

Small enough for your watch fob pocket on your jeans and razor sharp for your small cutting needs.  Excellent fit and finish with terrific blades that stay where you put them.  (Right click the images to see at higher resolution in a new window!)

• Pattern: Canittler (Canoe Whittler)
  • Pattern Numbers: RR311, RR383, RR836
  • Length Closed : 2.25 inches 
  • Blade Steel: 440 A Razor Sharp Stainless Steel
  • Blade Main:   1.5 inch clip
  • Secondary: 1 inch sheepfoot, 1 inch pen
  • Handle:   bone
  • Bolsters: Nickel Silver 
  • Lining:  Brass.
  • Pins: Brass

How bout this one,

That's beauty J.J.  that's real walnut, isn't it?

Peach seed, Tobias.  I call it a Ca-Pit-ler.

Here's one on a reverse congress frame.

American Blade - Parker Cutlery.

Appaloosa bone.

That would make more sense than a walnut!  Duh! 

J.J. Smith III said:

Peach seed, Tobias.  I call it a Ca-Pit-ler.

That reverse congress is a real looker, JJ.   One of the best I've seen.  You're going to make me break that commandment about coveting my neighbors property if you're not careful!

Bokers and one Seahorse!

Another Rough Rider, this is an older one in the Arrowhead Series.  The design was developed by Brian Yellowhorse.  It features an imitation Bisbee Turquoise handles.  Bisbee Turquoise is a type of turquoise that is native to a specific region on Arizona and is a favored turquoise of the Yellowhorse Family (or so David Yellowhorse once told me in an email)  This material on these knives is NOT reconstituted turquoise.  The box was designed by Brian Wilhoite.  I believe the the shield on the knife is also a Yellowhorse design.

My biggest complaint about this whittler and many other Rough Rider Whittlers is the lack of a coping blade!  Sigh!

Pattern:  Humpback whittler

Steel: 440A stainless blades

Bolsters: nickel silver.  (based on original work by Yellowhorse)

Shield:  Arrowhead, nickel silver

Scales:  Imitation Bisbee Turquoise (composition)

Liners:  Brass

Spring:  Stainless

Closed length: 3.5 inches

Fine specimen you have there, Toby.

Don't have too many "lookers" like that. 

Don't think I've posted this one before. 

Schrade "Classic" whittler.  Picked it up sometime around 2008.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
15 hours ago

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
21 hours ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20
J.J. Smith III replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service