Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I enjoy to control the edge angle. This picture shows an edge with two different angles. The differance between those two angles is 1 hundred part of 1 degree ( 0,01 degree).

I first made the complete edge perfectly flat, then I changed the sharpening anglee with 1/100 part of 1 degree and made the next angle. I made the scratches diagonal in different directions so that it is possible to se what I did.

I use a Norton 20 mkcron diamond sharpener for this. The sharpener is 10 yeras old and have beennused a lot and are perfectl warn-in as you can se on the scratches.

In my mind itbis important to control the edge angle to get an edge as sharp you like to have the edge - in any levell of sharpness.

When I control the angle can I decide how I shall grind it, what grit/microns I shall use, if I like to have micro teath or not. This means that I can decide the edges sharpness. I understand and knows exactly what I shall do to reach the reslut I like to have.

If I like to polish the edge it is just a question of how I end the sharpening process and in what grit.

I have not tryed it, but I think it is possible to grind angles like this down to 0,005 degrees - if I go down to a 9 micron diamond sharpener.

Thomas

Views: 535

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't get the feeling you were trying to sell me one.  I just got the feeling I wanted to buy one. :)

Jack

Thomas Lofvenmark said:

Jack, I do not try to sell a Chef to you :) I just enjoy talk about my tools and what they can perform.

The standard Chef costs 475 USD today.

Thomas
Jack, I cannot deny you to by one :) - but I can warn you, it will take up a lot of your time, you will probebly become a grinding nerd :)

Thomas

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

KnifeMaker
Jason Bowman joined Ivars's group
11 hours ago
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
22 hours ago
J.J. Smith III commented on J.J. Smith III's photo
yesterday

KnifeMaker
Jason Bowman replied to Steve Hanner's discussion Name the 5 top things to do when you join iKnife Collector!
yesterday

KnifeMaker
Jason Bowman joined Scott King's group
yesterday

KnifeMaker
Jason Bowman replied to Craig M. Bozorth's discussion NKCA in the group National Knife Collector Association- Local Chapter
yesterday

KnifeMaker
Jason Bowman joined Nick Hansen's group
yesterday

KnifeMaker
Jason Bowman joined Tamera Kitchens's group
yesterday

KnifeMaker
Jason Bowman joined Gary Munford's group
yesterday

KnifeMaker
Jason Bowman joined David Villiard's group