Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Someone once told me that you shouldn't store a knife in its leather sheath.  Is that true?

Views: 1265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If it's stainless, I do. If it's carbon steel, I don't. If I'm going to store it for a looong time I don't no matter what.

So far I haven't been.  And still won't.  I do have some with nylon (I guess) sheaths.  What about them?

Nylon should be okay. Nylon is a type of plastic. But for really long term storage you could always be extra safe and store them separately anywho. The problem with leather is the acids in the leather.  I won't worry about my new Case fixed blade because it's stainless and there's a plastic guard in the sheath.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I have most of my knives stored in two leather cases.  One is actually a laptop computer case and the other is a leather range bag.  All of my good knives are in their boxes or in a felt lined folding knife case.  Some of my cheap knives are in zip lock storage bags in the leather cases.  Would the leather cases damage the knives stored that way?

It would depend basically on if the blades are touching the leather. I don't think I've ever heard anyone having trouble with knives being near leather. But maybe someone else has had experience with that. Some knife rolls are leather trimmed. 

I should be alright then.  None of the blades touch the leather.

Blades near leather is not a problem; blades in leather on the other hand can be a major problem.

In answer to your question, yes, stored in a leather sheath knives will rust—given ideal circumstances and sufficient time.

Circumstances may force you to keep your knife in its leather sheath...To prevent rust , remove the knife from the sheath every few months (weeks at the onset) or so to check for oxidation which, if found, can be treated quickly and just wipe the blade with a minute amount of oil before returning it to the sheath.

N.B. Stainless steel W I L L rust! Given the right circumstances and conditions like a dank, moist, humid, sunless environment S/S will rust...Although, it will take a lot longer then carbon steel will...I've read that even titanium has ben made to rust...I think of rust as a fungus or mold...If the conditions favour mold they'll certainly promote rust.

Leather absorbs and stores moisture—like sweat—dissipating it slowly...Leather probably, but not definitely, has harsh chemicals from the tanning process still in the leather...When damp, leather shrinks, dries out, becomes brittle and cracks and you can get other products to soften the leather up, clean the leather etc. that in many cases isn't beneficial for your steel.

The absolute ultimate leather conditioner—silicon not petroleum based—is called Leatherique...It's what Rolls Royce, Maybach and Bentley use on their leather seats...While a little pricey, it actually works out quite cheaply since you use so very little that you can cover many sheaths for literately pennies per.

Short term storage is not a problem--the problem is defining short term..

I wear a small fixed blade (3.125”) of D2 in a leather sheath on my hip, next to a SS multi-tool 16 to 18 hours a day x 365,,,It never sits in the sheath longer then a couple, three hours before I remove it to cut something...I carry a small square of raw silk in my pocket that I wipe the blade down with after EVERY use.

All my knives are in wooden drawers, atop non-slip mats without any sheaths of any kind—wood, nylon, Kydex, plastic, metal...Those are stored in the cabinet below, in the original box (if possible) so that they won't get lost--meaning I don't remember which box belongs to which knife unless the sheath is inside--unless, of course, the box is labeled with the knife's actual name instead of a Skew Nbr...All the metal parts have been lightly rubbed down by a chamois cloth impregnated with Camellia oil that I rub down the carbon blades with...I used to use A.G. Russell's RustFree  but switched to this...I have also tried Bull Frog Heavy Duty Rust Blocker on the stainless blades...Handles, handle scales and some sheath are wiped down with Renaissance Wax...All folders are given a drop of Quick Release but I've also used Blue Works Multi-Purpose Lubricant.

The chemicals used to tan/ cure leather can damage blades and exotic handle material. I keep my sheaths in plastic bags in the original box so they can't come into contact with the knife.

I routinely check my knives and have no problem so far leaving them in the sheath.  However I take great measures to maintain 45-60% humidity in the room where the knives are kept and like I said, I constantly check them.  I'm pretty sure my knives are more likely to suffer damage from use than storage. LOL

Still all the experts say to store your knives outside the sheaths so there must be something to it.

I keep mine stored separate from the sheath. I agree that leaving them in the sheath can eventually cause damage. I check and clean my knives reguarly but don't want to risk getting lazy and having a knife pay the price. This along with the oil from my hands is bound to eventually start shwoing up on the sheath. This doesn't mean storing them in a sheath is wrong, it's just my personal feeling.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service